ReefCleaners.org

Pest Crab Caught in the Act (Eating Lobo)

mike_B

NoOneLikesADryTang

It definitely looks like an Xanthid crab, which is the family that gorilla crabs belong to. The black pinchers are a sign of a crab that will wreak havoc in your tank. In our experience of keeping gorilla's, they didn't go after corals - but crabs/snails/fish were all just a meal waiting to happen. If you're tank didn't have a supply of other things to eat, I could definitely see a gorilla crab going after a coral, as they are opportunistic feeders. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Good thing you caught it in the act @mike_B!

@NoOneLikesADryTang might know if this is a gorilla crab for sure. It looks like it could be, and certainly was behaving like one. Did it seem a little 'fuzzy' when it was underwater?

Yep. Definitely seemed fuzzy. Clung onto the lobo like a vice. 

1 minute ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

It definitely looks like an Xanthid crab, which is the family that gorilla crabs belong to. The black pinchers are a sign of a crab that will wreak havoc in your tank. In our experience of keeping gorilla's, they didn't go after corals - but crabs/snails/fish were all just a meal waiting to happen. If you're tank didn't have a supply of other things to eat, I could definitely see a gorilla crab going after a coral, as they are opportunistic feeders. 

My hermit crabs were gathered along the base of the lobo before the lights went out and this other guy showed up. Wonder if they were trying to protect it, or what . . not sure. 

• Wow 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
17 minutes ago, mike_B said:

My hermit crabs were gathered along the base of the lobo before the lights went out and this other guy showed up. Wonder if they were trying to protect it, or what . . not sure. 

I highly doubt that - had you noticed if the lobo was dying, or had damaged flesh prior to finding the crab eating it? 

3 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I highly doubt that - had you noticed if the lobo was dying, or had damaged flesh prior to finding the grab eating it? 

It had attacked the lobo the night before. 

Before that the coral was looking real fat and happy