SaltCritters.com

The Stuff of Nightmares - Bristleworm Mass Spawning 😱😱😱

banasophia

Well this was something I never wanted to see, especially in my own tank! As soon as I finished my water change this evening, all the bristleworms came out and had a little party of sorts. It lasted about 15 minutes and the water was pretty clouded up by the time it was over.

I guess I should plan to set my bristleworm trap up on a nightly basis to keep the population under control. I have a coral banded shrimp but I’ve yet to see him eat any bristleworms. 

Anyone else observe this in their tank? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 6

Been in this hobby a long time, but I've never seen anyone capture bristleworm spawning in their aquarium on footage. This is very fascinating. If I had to guess, it would be that perhaps one bristleworm spawning triggered the rest of them to come out and do the same.

• Like 3
Murphs_Reef
13 hours ago, banasophia said:

Well this was something I never wanted to see, especially in my own tank! As soon as I finished my water change this evening, all the bristleworms came out and had a little party of sorts. It lasted about 15 minutes and the water was pretty clouded up by the time it was over.

I guess I should plan to set my bristleworm trap up on a nightly basis to keep the population under control. I have a coral banded shrimp but I’ve yet to see him eat any bristleworms. 

That is extremely ace.. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, banasophia said:

Amazing capture! 

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

Alrighty then… I have now witnessed a bristleworm mass spawning event not once, but twice, in my lifetime.

It happened again recently in my Biocube 32… not the same tank as the first time. Must be time to get some arrow crabs to keep the bristleworms under control. If you like pimple popping videos, you might like these. 😬😬🤢 You know when they’re about to blow their load when they suddenly change direction and whip their tail end up. 

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

cool videos, but eeeew!

Thanks?! Haha I know what you mean… so nasty!!! Very very nasty!