Top Shelf Aquatics

Which Corals to Dip?

Nehsmit

Hi all,

Have a big delivery coming today of the following corals. My question is do I dip them all (minus the anemones) or just some of them? Also, what is the best dip available (if there is a best)? Thank you in advance.

Blue Star Leptastrea, Ninja Star Leptastrea,Ultra Maxi Mini Carpet Anemone, Aussie Orange Cap Monti, Pink Zoom Palys, Golden Soul Favia, Green Star Polyps,  USA Palys, Blue Eyed Beauts,  Peppermint Pink Lord,  Golden Two Face Chalice,  Campfire Chalice, Duncan Coral, Ultra Aussie Blasto, Show Tank Sympodium,  Duncan Coral, Toxic Loom Favia, 24k Cyphastrea, Agent Orange Leptastrea,  Pink Zoom Palys, Golden Soul Favia,  Night Vision Favia, Penta Favia, Ultra Maxi Mini Carpet Anemone, Black Light Torch, Aussie Candy Cane, K18 Homegrown Alveopora, Dragon Eye Zoas, Eagle Eye Zoas, Sweet Combo Zoa

NoOneLikesADryTang

Someone rocked that AquaSD live sale... lol

I dip everything (excluding anemones) before they get put in my tank. You can never be too careful. I use bayer dip. I do a ratio of 10ml of bayer, to 4ounces of tank water, for10-15 minutes and then do a rinse with tank water, for another 10-15 minutes before putting in my tank. 

2 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Someone rocked that AquaSD live sale... lol

Haha went a little crazy! My wife was not pleased.

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it very much. 

NoOneLikesADryTang
25 minutes ago, Nehsmit said:

Haha went a little crazy! My wife was not pleased.

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it very much. 

Ehhh... She'll get over it. Eventually. lol

You're welcome. Let me know if you have any questions. 

28 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Hey sorry but one last question: the order was delivered and taken inside (Im in NJ with 16" snow) but I wont be home till this evening. Would you leave the container closed or open it up? I can ask the wifey to do it if needed.

NoOneLikesADryTang
2 hours ago, Nehsmit said:

Hey sorry but one last question: the order was delivered and taken inside (Im in NJ with 16" snow) but I wont be home till this evening. Would you leave the container closed or open it up? I can ask the wifey to do it if needed.

Sorry - was at work and only checking on here sparingly. 

It's probably fine still in the box, because I'm sure they shipped with heat packs. If you're comfortable with your wife opening the box, and putting the bags in the tank to float, that'd be ok too. It'd keep the temperature on the corals stable. 

I would have her float the bags in the tank if possible (thats A LOT of bags) but not under the tank lights. Would need to turn those off if you do not have a sump to float them. Don't want them too close to the light in the bag for a long period.

I use Coral Rx dip or Bayer. The only coral I don't dip is smooth skin acro's (so I need to buy them from a very reliable vender). 

• Like 1
On 2/3/2021 at 10:40 AM, Nehsmit said:

Have a big delivery coming today of the following corals. My question is do I dip them all (minus the anemones) or just some of them?

I would hope you could predict that based on your vendor's reputation.  You "should" be able to dip nothing at all and be fine.  I've never dipped anything, but I haven't bought much lately, and everything locally.  Buying sight unseen is definitely more of a roll of the dice.

Keep us posted how your order goes!