SaltCritters.com

What are this black blips on my new coral :(

Shiko

Vermetid snails. I'd suggest you scrape them off before they spread. I've had them for more than a decade, so on the pest scale, they are extremely low, but a lot of people dislike them and they can get to plague proportions.

• Like 2

Hard to be sure in the photo, but to your eyes are they kinda bright reddish or purplish almost similar to the color of coralline algae?

For example:

image.png.0b5edb8ab116d2a7059fecdddc6fc926.png

Or are they just brownish/greyish with a prominent coil like this?

image.png.8f1358bfd2b19904bf44bbd4175447c1.png

thecoralbeauty

i second what @jservedio said and would like to add that over time and with enough of them they will start sucking up calcium/alk just like coral would as they continue to build their little shells. so grab your bone cutters or an exacto blade and crunch them off. Some people put superglue over the opening to keep the little worm inside of it stuck. I prefer the crunching approach. more cathartic. 🙂

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, thecoralbeauty said:

i second what @jservedio said and would like to add that over time and with enough of them they will start sucking up calcium/alk just like coral would as they continue to build their little shells. so grab your bone cutters or an exacto blade and crunch them off. Some people put superglue over the opening to keep the little worm inside of it stuck. I prefer the crunching approach. more cathartic. 🙂

If you've got a wrasse, they'll follow you around with the bone cutters slurping up the worms inside as you crush the tube. Wrasses get excited when tbd bone cutters come out!