SaltCritters.com

Pancakes’ Evo journal

Lloydpancakes

Lloydpancakes

This is my first tank since leaving the hobby 10 years ago when I was in grad school and my first ever nano.

I did a homemade stand built out of 1/2 plywood and 2x4s which my baby girl helped me set up.

Tank was wet on 12/5/2020. 10lbs of Carib sea aragonite sand, 10 lbs of live rock. The total water volume is 10 gallons after you account for all the rock and such.

Cycle was complete on 12/17 or so. Since then I’ve upgraded the setup substantially and now have a cash sink on my hands. The tank has come a long way in a short period of time. Nutrient levels stable and I’m already seeing growth on my zoos.

Current equipment list:

Fluval evo 13.5 AIO tank 

AI prime HD (running Saxby preset on acclimation right now)

InTank media baskets for chamber 1 and 2 

sicce silent 1.0 return pump

Smart ATO micro

hydor koralia 240

aqueon 100w heater

No skimmer, but I’m looking into HOBs.

I’m going completely open top for the time being and doing the ole finger cross hoping that my fish doesn’t jump out.

Livestock:

-1 ora naked clownfish. 

-1 black storm clownfish.

-Branch frogspawn (green, purple tips)

-branch hammer (purplish pink I guess)

-wall hammer (little different purplish pink with whitish tips.)

-red monti cap frag

-forest fire digi 

-bubblegum digi 

-Idaho grape monti

-fruity pebbles monti 

-giant piece of Jason fox monti. Idk what the name is. I think it’s the cherry tree.

-Pineapple favia

-clove polyps that hitched a ride on my live rock and somehow lived through the cycle

-king midas zoos

-orange oxide zoos

-lunar eclipse zoos

-Pandora zoos

-Nirvana zoos

-fire and ice zoos

-sunny d palythoa

-Aoi zoos

-Ron burgundy zoos

-three other types of unknown zoos.

-gsp

-3 astrea snails (the nassarius ate two of the astrea.

-2 nassarius snails

-a bit of nuisance algae that Is decreasing slowly, but surely.

maintenance:

2.5 gallon weekly water changes 

dose calcium and carbonate weekly

I’m absolutely certain that I moved a little too fast on this set up, but it’s brought me and my family a lot of enjoyment. No major set backs yet, but obviously there’s still time. I hope y’all like it. Comments and constructive criticism are welcome.

B016C02A-091B-43B8-95E7-9582E60C2479.jpeg

47B4E383-3547-42E7-AD70-3FFFD3D3ED2D.jpeg

C4D2C3B7-4CBE-4B2B-9954-E3907AAD5C6B.jpeg

497A6575-E93D-4921-8A02-98A33B86FCD8.jpeg

DBA6B75D-AB76-4AE6-97BB-DA8042B0F724.jpeg

DA4E3977-DEE1-458D-B21B-C132989CFDA9.jpeg

C69C6E9E-176A-4500-978D-05269F06EC65.jpeg

Edited by Lloydpancakes
Update
  • Like 2
Lloydpancakes

The clowns are getting along great. Nitrates were a little high yesterday at 25 ppm so I did a 30% water change. I’ll check it again today and might do another smaller wc.

I may need to run a skimmer. My overflow chambers are already full up so none of the fluval options will work. I’ll have to go HOB. Anyone have any recommendations?

FCA5AB85-4394-4A54-AF0E-FAC6D04B657F.jpeg

57449E96-4E78-405C-B5EA-39E3BB3D36A5.jpeg

• Like 1

I love the contrast between the clown fish! Tank looks great I love the aqua scape especially the rock at the end giving a little over hang. How does the hammer do with the clowns hosting it?

• Like 1
Lloydpancakes
2 minutes ago, ReefCap said:

I love the contrast between the clown fish! Tank looks great I love the aqua scape especially the rock at the end giving a little over hang. How does the hammer do with the clowns hosting it?

Thank you so much. The hammer seems to be loving it.

Just now, Lloydpancakes said:

Thank you so much. The hammer seems to be loving it.

That’s great to hear! I’ve heard lots of hammers/frogspawns/torches not loving clowns hosting them. Do you have future plans for the tank?

Lloydpancakes
30 minutes ago, ReefCap said:

That’s great to hear! I’ve heard lots of hammers/frogspawns/torches not loving clowns hosting them. Do you have future plans for the tank?

I’ve heard the same thing about euphylia and clowns. Long term it may be an issue.

Long term I’d like to be able to keep various types of montis along with a solid zoo garden. Maybe trade some of the lps I have right now for some other montis. I love the wall hammer and the frogspawn and the chalice, but I could do without the pineapple favia.

11 minutes ago, Lloydpancakes said:

I’ve heard the same thing about euphylia and clowns. Long term it may be an issue.

Long term I’d like to be able to keep various types of montis along with a solid zoo garden. Maybe trade some of the lps I have right now for some other montis. I love the wall hammer and the frogspawn and the chalice, but I could do without the pineapple favia.

Grafted monti caps are always solid. Chalices are great for color too! Can’t wait to see more!!

Lloydpancakes
16 hours ago, ReefCap said:

Grafted monti caps are always solid. Chalices are great for color too! Can’t wait to see more!!

Love monti caps. I’d like to get some Idaho grape and see how it does. 

Lloydpancakes

I’ve got to invest in better camera equipment, but here’s a photo of a forest fire digi I picked up this past weekend. I think we’ve got full polyp extension.

EB86A476-CFFD-479C-B41A-0D22212AB80E.jpeg

• Like 3
Lloydpancakes
22 hours ago, freestylejunki32 said:

You can use "pro" photo mode on phone and change the white balance to 10k 😎

Thanks dude. Do I have to have one of them iPhone pros to do that or can I do it on a regular iPhone?

freestylejunki32
3 hours ago, Lloydpancakes said:

Thanks dude. Do I have to have one of them iPhone pros to do that or can I do it on a regular iPhone?

I use android myself but there should be plenty of free camera apps on app store that allow you to set manual camera settings including white balance and exposure time. 

15 hours ago, freestylejunki32 said:

I use android myself but there should be plenty of free camera apps on app store that allow you to set manual camera settings including white balance and exposure time. 

I just tried the "pro" photo mode on my Samsung android phone and its still too blue. I think my lights are closer to the 12-14K spectrum. 

However if you "edit" the photo and do an Auto white balance adjustment it does it good job of remove most of the blue.

Lloydpancakes
7 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

I just tried the "pro" photo mode on my Samsung android phone and its still too blue. I think my lights are closer to the 12-14K spectrum. 

However if you "edit" the photo and do an Auto white balance adjustment it does it good job of remove most of the blue.

I’m gonna have to figure that out. Do you mean you’re taking the photo and then adjusting the blue out in post?  When I try to use the auto white balance on Adobe Lightroom it never turns out right. That’s likely operator error. My wife has a DSLR camera she doesn’t really use, but I probably don’t need another hobby reliant on super expensive gear at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...