ReefCleaners.org

Goniopora plan?

RoyalGramma001

RoyalGramma001

Hey nano reefers,

i think tomorrow I'm going to get a broke green goniopora from my lfs. All of the ones they have they have had for a while and have small polyps growing between the larger ones. My plan was to feed them 3 times a week with reef roids and the reccommended 1/4 teaspoon for my 20 gallon tank. So then I turn pumps off for 20 minutes and suck up the reef roids with a turkey blaster and directly use that puff on the goniopora. Does this plan sound correct to keep one alive?

Seems reasonable to me. However, that amount is probably way overkill. That amount listed on the container assumes you're scattering it through the entire tank, I don't think a gonipora frag is going to eat 1/4 teaspoon all on its own. If you get one, you should feed it as much food as it can eat. Just put food on the coral until most of the polyps are closed around food.

(sidenote: scattering reef roids through your entire tank is a good way to get high phosphates. Unless the tank is packed with filter-feeders, generally you want to just put food directly on the corals.)

RoyalGramma001
35 minutes ago, Tired said:

Seems reasonable to me. However, that amount is probably way overkill. That amount listed on the container assumes you're scattering it through the entire tank, I don't think a gonipora frag is going to eat 1/4 teaspoon all on its own. If you get one, you should feed it as much food as it can eat. Just put food on the coral until most of the polyps are closed around food.

(sidenote: scattering reef roids through your entire tank is a good way to get high phosphates. Unless the tank is packed with filter-feeders, generally you want to just put food directly on the corals.)

They don't seem to close around the food they seem to just all retract and I've heard it is because they absorb the nutrients through their flesh instead of the polyps? How much should I feed instead and is only using reef roids acceptable?

NoOneLikesADryTang

I rarely feed our Alveopora and Goni’s. They probably get some when we feed the tank, but that’s about it. As long as you have good water, and a decent light, I think that’s all really need. I’ve never noticed a feeding response from any of them. 

• Like 1
RoyalGramma001
7 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I rarely feed our Alveopora and Goni’s. They probably get some when we feed the tank, but that’s about it. As long as you have good water, and a decent light, I think that’s all really need. I’ve never noticed a feeding response from any of them. 

In the tidal gardens video they brought out a not proven point but an interesting one that goniopora bring in food through their flesh. I do not really directly feed most of my corals so I think I will put one cloud puff near the goniopora for it to take in