Coral Vue Hydros

Dragon Soul Favia Lighting

Kayman

Hey, this is my first and only favia and my LFS said it would like lower light but after about a month I just want to see if it seems to maybe not be getting enough. It's been getting lighter around each eye.

It's in a very dark area in the very bottom right. Any opinions?  Thanks!

20210104_164540.thumb.jpg.1375c9505ad758ac476dae105fd5e36e.jpg

20210104_164552.thumb.jpg.feedf8d47c5d81a64651ed6234763c1d.jpg

RoyalGramma001
5 hours ago, Kayman said:

Hey, this is my first and only favia and my LFS said it would like lower light but after about a month I just want to see if it seems to maybe not be getting enough. It's been getting lighter around each eye.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a72cef6f73776f2b20210104_164540.thumb.jpg.1375c9505ad758ac476dae105fd5e36e.jpg

20210104_164552.thumb.jpg.feedf8d47c5d81a64651ed6234763c1d.jpg

Bump

RoyalGramma001
1 hour ago, Matteo said:

Mine is smack dab in the middle of my tank getting FULL light. I don't think they need that low of light really. 

So is my brain coral but didn't want to give false info

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Matteo said:

Mine is smack dab in the middle of my tank getting FULL light. I don't think they need that low of light really. 

Okay thanks, I'll go ahead and move it into some might light and see how it does for a bit.

NoOneLikesADryTang

Mine is getting blasted with light (T5's and reef brites), about three inches under the water line, on a frag rack. It is healthy and growing, but it had lost some of it's yellow color. You definitely aren't going to kill it by giving it more light. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 1/6/2021 at 2:39 PM, Kayman said:

Favias have the reputation (in the wild) of growing where no other corals will grow, for what that's worth.  So they definitely don't need special placement IMO.  

The only catch is that after a month he might be acclimated to this low level of light.....so now YOU must be careful in where you move him.  I wouldn't take him from the shadows to hot-spot at the top of the rocks.  (Or if you do, depending on the lux/PAR numbers you report, I'd dim the whole tank a little bit for a few weeks.)

You haven't mentioned water parameters.  Can you post your most recent full set of results?

Most corals aren't as particular as folks seem to want them to be, BTW.  If your tank is healthy, most corals should do really well in it without further special treatment.  Healthy generally means around 100-300 PAR (5,000-15,000 lux), no over-filtration, and (ideally) the use of live rock.  More light, less nutrients, and starting with dead rock make things trickier and success is less automatic/assured....but still can work.

• 3 weeks later...
Legendary Corals

Hey @Kayman! From the 2nd photo it's definitely shaded. I'd definitely bring it out to somewhere in your sand bed where it can receive some more light. Just be careful, as Dragon Soul Favias can get rather large sweepers at night. I would also recommend a light feeding once a week to help get its health back on track. Feeding stressed LPS corals always seems to help them for me!