Top Shelf Aquatics

Spaghetti worms - harmful in quantity?

tzink

The pinned ID thread here lists spaghetti worms as harmless. But in the process of moving everything to a new tank, I noticed that my spaghetti worms have really taken over. They are throughout all my rock work, poking out everywhere. Are they still harmless in this quantity? Taking up space and competing with pods? Anything to be worried about?

I've never had more than a few but they seem to come and go.  I usually have wrasses so they probably don't live long in my tanks. 

Anyways - got a pic?  Just make sure they're actually spaghetti worms and not like aiptasia or something.  I think you're probably fine though - I've never head of them causing any sort of damage.  Are you a heavy feeder?  Sometimes that can cause populations of certain organisms to go a little nuts.

The most harm they can ever do is minorly annoy corals that they're directly touching. They don't sting, they just touch everything. 

It's possible you're overfeeding a little, yes. High amounts of detritivores suggest that.

• 2 weeks later...
king aiptasia

they can't harm, even if they kill a few amphipods they are very active feeders and will still take lots of the detritus, but if you live local i'll take some off your hands ;)