inTank Media Baskets

The personality battle: Clown Goby vs Two Spot Blenny!

sr2z

Which of these fish has more personality/entertainment factor? The Clown Goby or the Two Spot Blenny?

Also, what experience do you have with each of them? Feel free to share some stories, your thoughts and such...

(as you can guess, I narrowed down potential fish for my 4,5gal pico down to these two... or some other blenny species)

i've never had a two spot blenny so i can't help you there.

I did have a yellow clown goby for the last 2.5 years (just gave it to a friend recently). It was adorable and had a lot of personality. Chilled on the rocks sometimes, but mostly on the glass. It would literally just be on the glass, using this one fin to "stick" to the glass. and then just hang from there. It was adorable. Always coming up for food. It did not care how big or aggressive the next fish was, it had to make sure it was there to get some of the first food to hit the water. Then it would take it's flake and go sit on a rock and eat it. 

My only issue... it nipped SPS. It was all good for 2+ years because I had softies only. But got some SPS a few months and noticed the nipping...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2-Spot, aka Bimaculatus Blenny are great.  I've had two over the life of my nano and they never posed any issues with coral.  I saw some threat displays towards some Gobies, but nothing serious.  Mine lived for close to two years.  All-in-all, quite entertaining little characters.

Have never kept a Clown Goby due to the SPS nipping and spawning at the base behavior.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So... to sum things up so far:

Clown gobies:

+ small

+ funny

+ interesting coloration

- SPS munchers

- a little sensitive

- dietary problems

Two Spot Blenny:

+ small

+ entertaining

+ doesn´t munch on corals

- maybe a lack of coloration?

Sounds like the blenny is in the lead so far. Anybody else wants to share their experience? And to make things more interesting, let´s add a Tailspot Blenny to the mix too...

• Like 1

Out of the fish you're looking at I've kept black clown gobies and two-spot blennies.  The black clowns were grumpy and fairly stationary.  The blennies had a ton of personality.  Both types of fish spent a lot of time perching, but the blennies would hop around more often and felt more interactive.   For a while I had 2 black clown gobies and 1 two-spot blenny in a 12 gallon cube and they basically ignored eachother.  No aggression or other issues. 

Tailspots are a bit bigger, but seem to fit the same niche.  You'll find a lot of posts on here by people who love them - I think they're more available than two-spots, since they seem much more common.

I spent a lot of time earlier this year looking for either type of blenny and no one seemed to have them in stock.  I hope that's changed so you can find one!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, sublunary said:

I spent a lot of time earlier this year looking for either type of blenny and no one seemed to have them in stock.  I hope that's changed so you can find one!  

Thanks! I wrote an email to some retailers, but the only blennies that are available right now are linear blennies (I love those too, but they get rather "big" for my tank)... But they say that if I remind them next year in January, there will be a big import and hopefully, they might be able to order the blenny for me. Otherwise, I´m pretty much stuck with the Green Clown Goby they have in stock right now... That´s actually the whole purpose of this thread. Is it worth waiting OR get the GCG till they have it...

3 hours ago, sr2z said:

Is it worth waiting OR get the GCG till they have it...

those fish can live quite a few years so it's your call. Wait a few months and hopefully get the fish you had your eye on or potentially be stuck with a fish for a few years. 

From my experience, i'd say wait for the fish you want. This hobby calls for patience. But it's all worth it in the end. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, paulsz said:

those fish can live quite a few years so it's your call. Wait a few months and hopefully get the fish you had your eye on or potentially be stuck with a fish for a few years. 

From my experience, i'd say wait for the fish you want. This hobby calls for patience. But it's all worth it in the end. 

Oukey, I´ll do as you say! Thanks people!

• Like 1

Soo... I think I´ll bump this topic up! Are there any qualities in which the clown gobies are better than the blennies? After some studying, I´m getting more and more indecisive about which one to get... I like BOTH! 😅

NoOneLikesADryTang

Our two spot blenny is cute, and will hop around from coral to coral to perch on - but I wouldn't say he has a personality like our midas blenny. He does readily eat anything that's fed to the tank. 

We had a yellow clown goby, that we ended up giving away, because it wouldn't stop nipping at SPS. They're super cute, and love to perch and watch you. The hard part with them, is two fold. The first, finding one that will eat frozen, or pellets. The second, and maybe not as important to you, depending on your tank stocking, is finding one that doesn't have a taste sps polyps. 

You might also look at a trimma goby. I've got a red banded trimma in my pico, and he's super cute. He's personable when I come up to the tank now, and he perches and watches. He definitely has an area that is his in the tank (he isn't currently sharing it with anyone, but I always know where I can find him.) They're little - I'd love to find a couple more for my pico. 

1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

You might also look at a trimma goby. I've got a red banded trimma in my pico, and he's super cute. He's personable when I come up to the tank now, and he perches and watches. He definitely has an area that is his in the tank (he isn't currently sharing it with anyone, but I always know where I can find him.) They're little - I'd love to find a couple more for my pico. 

Everybody is recommending them for me and I´m have no doubt that they are awesome fish, but as I always have to say, impossible to find here, and ordering them is freaking expensive. 😔 Finding a feeding clown goby won´t be a problem I guess, because my NSLFS (not so local fish store) gives each fish a quarantine AND guarantees that they are feeding.

• 3 years later...
Shakalaka

Intresting thread! I have a clown pair in my 10G and Im planing to add another fish, Iam stucked between yellow clown goby and tail spot blenny.

Iam curious what fish you brought and how is it going? Any suggestions?