Cultivated Reef

Kimber's Squishy Tank - 2 years later...

kimberbee

21 minutes ago, spectra said:

If it was me just use the old frame and get some new rubber spline and some netting. If you cant find any I may have some left over in the garage.......... I know I have a giant piece of netting still but not sure on the spline.......

The netting and spline I have from the other lid I made don't fit in the IM frame. Tried that already. I could make a new lid, I just need the corner clips.

I'd like to have something slightly nicer than DIY though. There's gotta be something in the mid-price range??

ECLS Reefer
54 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

The netting and spline I have from the other lid I made don't fit in the IM frame. Tried that already. I could make a new lid, I just need the corner clips.

I'd like to have something slightly nicer than DIY though. There's gotta be something in the mid-price range??

You can order the screen mesh and get spline from any Lowe’s or Home Depot- it would still be cheaper than a new lid I bet. Amazon has all of that too

Have you contacted Innovative Marine to see if they offer replacement spline? They do sell the whole replacement lid kit for $40.

Saltwateraquarium.com sells the DD Jumpguard kit for $47. That's the kit I use on all of my tanks. 

• Thanks 1

well at least it wasnt the toilet................

ours has learned to get on the bathroom counter in the morning when getting ready for work...........mrs crossfit turns the faucet on for her :rolleyes: she has created a little monster...........

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
48 minutes ago, spectra said:

well at least it wasnt the toilet................

ours has learned to get on the bathroom counter in the morning when getting ready for work...........mrs crossfit turns the faucet on for her :rolleyes: she has created a little monster...........

We have a drippy faucet in our bathroom. Haven't fixed it cause the kittens love playing with the drops of water so much!! 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What do you think about a possum wrassse?  I heard they're pretty great.  I have a flatworm worm + my LFS has a possum wrasse in stock and I've been debating SUPER hard on getting for my Nuvo 20. 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

What do you think about a possum wrassse?  I heard they're pretty great.  I have a flatworm worm + my LFS has a possum wrasse in stock and I've been debating SUPER hard on getting for my Nuvo 20. 

We ended up with a pink streaked and its' easily become one of our favorite animals, really funny, feisty little fish. Ours seems somewhat easily out-competed when it comes to feeding time though. Not the exact same animal, but similar enough I figured I'd drop my .02 since I had a minute.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

After being in the hobby for 7 years (almost exactly), I have mentally checked out. There's multiple reasons, but in the end I've decided to get out of the hobby.

What remains to be seen is how fast. I've always had a hard time selling things locally, and I can't bring myself to just dump everything off at a LFS. So, I'll try to sell things off, but likely not in a hurry.

I've not been posting much lately anyway, but I thought I'd let you all know. 

• Sad 11
6 hours ago, kimberbee said:

After being in the hobby for 7 years (almost exactly), I have mentally checked out. There's multiple reasons, but in the end I've decided to get out of the hobby.

What remains to be seen is how fast. I've always had a hard time selling things locally, and I can't bring myself to just dump everything off at a LFS. So, I'll try to sell things off, but likely not in a hurry.

I've not been posting much lately anyway, but I thought I'd let you all know. 

I'm sad to hear that you're leaving the hobby.  I've enjoyed following your build threads and learned a lot from your posts.  

I'd be interested in your leather corals (and maybe your LPS too) if you feel like shipping stuff to Arkansas.  🙂

• Like 2

Sucks..................... sorry to see you get out hopefully you will still pop in once in a while in the lounge............

I know I went from 200 gallons to 20 and yes feel at times why not just bail totally but cant bring myself to do that yet............

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, spectra said:

Sucks..................... sorry to see you get out hopefully you will still pop in once in a while in the lounge............

I know I went from 200 gallons to 20 and yes feel at times why not just bail totally but cant bring myself to do that yet............

I'm sure I'll keep stopping by the lounge every so often. 

I'll be moving the current tanks to smaller tanks - going from 45 total gallons down to 30. Because of the dinos, I really don't do much maintenance anymore anyway. Water changes every 2-3 months, fill up the top off water once a week, and feed 3x (but just pellets, so I dump a handful in and go about my day). Unless I can find someone local, I plan to just keep coasting until things die or a tank crash happens. 🤷‍♀️

5 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I'm sad to hear that you're leaving the hobby.  I've enjoyed following your build threads and learned a lot from your posts.  

I'd be interested in your leather corals (and maybe your LPS too) if you feel like shipping stuff to Arkansas.  🙂

I'm glad you've found things I have to say useful! 

Doubtful, I'll ship due to overnight shipping costs, but if I change my mind, I will let you know! 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 7/24/2021 at 9:45 AM, gena said:

I'm just going to hang on to these 6 words LOL.

Well, still coasting. 

The plan to downgrade the tanks got put on hold due to deciding to take a few vacations. Now that summer is over, tank swap plans are back in action. 

New build thread later today...

• Like 8
7 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Well, still coasting. 

The plan to downgrade the tanks got put on hold due to deciding to take a few vacations. Now that summer is over, tank swap plans are back in action. 

New build thread later today...

I never gave up hope! :happydance: 

• 2 years later...
On 10/1/2021 at 7:49 AM, kimberbee said:

Well, still coasting. 

Weird how so much can change, yet some things still stay the same. I've made this statement many times over the last 2 years, but the tanks are in the same place they were when I last posted pictures in March '21. 

20231207_141546.thumb.jpg.f98ab9c05286fcf4f1dabd41048333ac.jpg

I'm thinking I'll get them moved and swapped this winter, but I guess we'll see. The stupidest thing is keeping me from progressing - I need nitrifying bacteria to help cycle a "new" tank. I can't get it locally, so I have to order it online, and I'm not sure what to order and who to get it from. 

• Like 4
  • kimberbee changed the title to Kimber's Squishy Tank - 2 years later...

Here's the corner of the office where I need to move the tank. It tends to be a drop zone for stuff I don't want to take care of. Right now it's a mix of Christmas gifts that need to be wrapped, Halloween decor that needs to be packed up, seeds for the garden that need to be sorted, and random other odds and ends. Let's see if I can tackle this today... 

20231208_111924.thumb.jpg.b056b377aebb8dc7795af53c9d3bf0f1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Here's the corner of the office where I need to move the tank. It tends to be a drop zone for stuff I don't want to take care of. Right now it's a mix of Christmas gifts that need to be wrapped, Halloween decor that needs to be packed up, seeds for the garden that need to be sorted, and random other odds and ends. Let's see if I can tackle this today... 

20231208_111924.thumb.jpg.b056b377aebb8dc7795af53c9d3bf0f1.jpg

Them some nice looking shit kickers there............. :biggrin: