Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dire need of help

Reefer-begginer

Reefer-begginer
9 hours ago, mcarroll said:

That's a lot of fish.   Maybe not "too many".  But it's a lot.

It's not a standard 125 Gallon, which is 6 x 1.5 x 1.5'T?

If it's 6 x 3, then it's only about 1' thick?

Is it possible to post a whole-tank photo that shows your lights as well as your flow?

This was even more fish.  I'd definitely put a cap on adding new fish.

The ammonia hanging around in a tank with growing algae and mature live rock doesn't make any sense IMO.

Either...

...the rock isn't as live as you thought and it's not handling the ammonia load

...the test kit isn't working (eg expired)

...something you're adding to the tank is interfering with the test kit (eg. ammonia detoxifier) and causing false positives.

...or something else basic is off that is missing from the thread so far.

(Since the fish were all new there is a chance that there is something pathogenic going on to explain the fish death.)

To be honest these fish have been in the tank for 3 months now ( from September ), slowly adding them back into the tank after a month(2 month?) Re-cycle from my last death batch in this tank.

I would think that the more sensitive fish and newly added fish would be the ones to die and then see gaint spikes in ammonia.

In regards to my flow, I have a (1150gph?) Hydor water circ pump in the tank, with a PondMag 12 ( 1200 gph ) pump within my sump running at about 30% due to well, at full power it drains my sump in a few seconds ), I also have a 500G In-line UV sterilizer from (AquaTop?). 

Although I would say your right on that ammonia detox, as I did do it before adding and testing a few hours after adding to see how low it took it 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Reefer-begginer said:

I dont use API, I use Sera

10 hours ago, mcarroll said:

That's a lot of fish.   Maybe not "too many".  But it's a lot.

. . .

...the test kit isn't working (eg expired)

...something you're adding to the tank is interfering with the test kit (eg. ammonia detoxifier) and causing false positives.

...or something else basic is off that is missing from the thread so far.

. . .

OOOPS!  Sorry!  My bad! 😞

But I still gotta question the test results.  A 40% water change should have lowered ammonia by just 40% not 95%.  I have to 2nd  Mcarroll's assesements. 

Reefer-begginer
1 hour ago, Timfish said:

OOOPS!  Sorry!  My bad! 😞

But I still gotta question the test results.  A 40% water change should have lowered ammonia by just 40% not 95%.  I have to 2nd  Mcarroll's assesements. 

It's alright mate, I never said what test kit i used. And I dont belive my other posts have said it either 

3 hours ago, Reefer-begginer said:

Although I would say your right on that ammonia detox, as I did do it before adding and testing a few hours after adding to see how low it took it 

There are some known issues with testing and detoxifiers (I think Prime is the usual one I see in related conversations), but they may be specific to a type or brand of test kits, I'm not sure.  Hopefully someone familiar with the details will chime in, or try googling it.   👍

Bio Spira (and similar products) are able to provide an instant bio-filter that will tune itself to the current ammonia load, in case that wasn't clear from the suggestion and commentary.  If you have ANY suspicion that the results from your test kit are legitimate (ie there IS ammonia) then you should do one of these treatments (eg Bio Spira) immediately, if not sooner.  Then you can figure out the ammonia testing mystery in hindsight, without further risk to tank inhabitants.  Go now.  😉

This also puts the ammonia issue "to bed" so you can move on and consider whether there might be other contributing issues to what's happened.  👍

Just one thing- that is certainly is not enough flow. Maybe your rock isn’t getting the water movement it needs to keep it clean. My two Nero 5’s in my three foot tank are running 2400gph total, and then my return pump is probably running about 700gph. My water volume of my tank is around 65gals. Just for comparison. 

Reefer-begginer
1 hour ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Just one thing- that is certainly is not enough flow. Maybe your rock isn’t getting the water movement it needs to keep it clean. My two Nero 5’s in my three foot tank are running 2400gph total, and then my return pump is probably running about 700gph. My water volume of my tank is around 65gals. Just for comparison. 

Id think 2000gph would be enough flow, or atleast I can move my water circ pump to the other side of my tank to get those rocks more water movement since the circ pump is next to my returns 

Reefer-begginer
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

There are some known issues with testing and detoxifiers (I think Prime is the usual one I see in related conversations), but they may be specific to a type or brand of test kits, I'm not sure.  Hopefully someone familiar with the details will chime in, or try googling it.   👍

Bio Spira (and similar products) are able to provide an instant bio-filter that will tune itself to the current ammonia load, in case that wasn't clear from the suggestion and commentary.  If you have ANY suspicion that the results from your test kit are legitimate (ie there IS ammonia) then you should do one of these treatments (eg Bio Spira) immediately, if not sooner.  Then you can figure out the ammonia testing mystery in hindsight, without further risk to tank inhabitants.  Go now.  😉

This also puts the ammonia issue "to bed" so you can move on and consider whether there might be other contributing issues to what's happened.  👍

Come Friday, i should be able to get some of that stuff since when I started the tank I used (3)? Bottles of turbo start since the ones my work has are so tiny 

Reefer-begginer

I guess my next question would be, my skimmer i believe is overskimming right now, as the skimmer barely takes anything out of the water column.

Would this also be not much help in the system I run?

BTW....

16 hours ago, Reefer-begginer said:

Not seeing much in the way of algae growth on the rock in this closeup clip.  

Is the red color I see in patches from cyanobacteria?

With that light, I don't think you're going to get much photosynthesis, so there's going to be more pressure on the bacterial population to use all of the available ammonia.

Again, I would do something like the Bio Spira treatment so you can take this whole ammonia issue off the table....hopefully revealing in the process whether there's another issue at work.

Reefer-begginer
9 hours ago, mcarroll said:

BTW....

Not seeing much in the way of algae growth on the rock in this closeup clip.  

Is the red color I see in patches from cyanobacteria?

With that light, I don't think you're going to get much photosynthesis, so there's going to be more pressure on the bacterial population to use all of the available ammonia.

Again, I would do something like the Bio Spira treatment so you can take this whole ammonia issue off the table....hopefully revealing in the process whether there's another issue at work.

So upgrade the light once again, got it 

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Reefer-begginer said:

So upgrade the light once again, got it 

Not necessarily...I don't know what your plans are.  If this is a fish-only type of system, then you're fine.  You just have some different dynamics when light inputs are low.  It becomes more of a fish tank and less of a reef.  Algae and corals dominate on reefs...even in aquariums.  Not so in a fish tank.  👍  That's why I was asking about the cyano.  It does indicate at least some photosynthesis happening.

Reefer-begginer
17 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Not necessarily...I don't know what your plans are.  If this is a fish-only type of system, then you're fine.  You just have some different dynamics when light inputs are low.  It becomes more of a fish tank and less of a reef.  Algae and corals dominate on reefs...even in aquariums.  Not so in a fish tank.  👍  That's why I was asking about the cyano.  It does indicate at least some photosynthesis happening.

It's a FoWLR system as I usually keep angels and butterflys