Coral Vue Hydros

Mushroom splitting?

antigonus

Recently I noticed some of green mushrooms were kind of folded up and shrunken, but just last night I saw that there seems to be a tear in the middle of two of them. One this one at least I thought I saw two mouths, is it splitting? 

Mushroom splitting.JPG

• Like 1

Could be splitting. I've read some people say a mouth and forms and they split down the middle. But from the mushrooms i've had, they always just deposit a little amount of meat at the base and that becomes a new mushroom.  

Not sure if rhodactis (like the one you have) do that, or if they split. Tried looking online and it looks like it could happen both ways. 

13 minutes ago, paulsz said:

Could be splitting. I've read some people say a mouth and forms and they split down the middle. But from the mushrooms i've had, they always just deposit a little amount of meat at the base and that becomes a new mushroom.  

Not sure if rhodactis (like the one you have) do that, or if they split. Tried looking online and it looks like it could happen both ways. 

Thanks, I'm just kind of worried because I saw the live rock through a hole in their middle I'm not sure what else it could be. 

Are they all doing that at the same time? Or just this one mushroom? 

I remember in your other post that you said all your mushrooms "shriveled" up a bit at the same time. 

17 minutes ago, paulsz said:

Are they all doing that at the same time? Or just this one mushroom? 

I remember in your other post that you said all your mushrooms "shriveled" up a bit at the same time. 

It looks like two or three are splitting perhaps, but almost all of them look shrunken. 

That's a splitter. I have mushrooms like this and they split by appearing to just melt from the middle! The hole got bigger and bigger until they eventually just separated. Give it a couple weeks and you'll think you had two mushrooms there all along 🙂

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SaltyGallon said:

That's a splitter. I have mushrooms like this and they split by appearing to just melt from the middle! The hole got bigger and bigger until they eventually just separated. Give it a couple weeks and you'll think you had two mushrooms there all along 🙂

Thanks! I was just a little worried at first. 

• Like 1