Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is this a decent low budget AIO tank kit?

Justincl

Found this bundle/kit that includes literally everything non livestock wise that I'd need aside from lighting and testers (and stand but there's one that's made for it that I could get)

Is this a decent bundle kit for a beginner to start off a first reef tank with or are some/any of the products low quality/not stuff I should get?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/40-gallon-nuvo-fusion-pro-aio-saltwater-aquarium-starter-kit-bundle.html

Did you price it out to see how much money you save?

The brands listed are name brand but don't have experience with the powerheads and such.

I personally like to start from bare bones so I can get exactly what I want. For example, I like controllable powerheads and live rock. 

No math yet as I honestly have no idea exactly what products, brands, etc I would need to get but as far as I can tell this seems to be a bit cheaper than getting a 40b and equipment for that. 

And it chooses everything for me which seems nice. 

If you're new to the hobby this is a solid start since it gives you everything you need besides a light. (Maybe start with an AI prime). I'd agree with @Tamberavthat down the road you would probably want to build your own kit once you know exactly what you're looking for. 

Thanks! That's about the answer I was hoping to hear. Ai prime is rather expensive...maybe I could follow the advice I've heard on not lighting the tank and just doing scape sand and fish while it stabilizes that way I can wait and spread the cost a bit? Or is there a cheaper light that'd work for beginner corals?

15 minutes ago, Justincl said:

Thanks! That's about the answer I was hoping to hear. Ai prime is rather expensive...maybe I could follow the advice I've heard on not lighting the tank and just doing scape sand and fish while it stabilizes that way I can wait and spread the cost a bit? Or is there a cheaper light that'd work for beginner corals?

This hobby ain't cheap! Ai prime is already pretty cheap as it going to get for a good reef light especially for that size tank. 

Maybe get a smaller tank so you can afford a light and the gear you need. Sand, live rock, dosing chemicals, it all adds up pretty quick. Do they have a 20g version of that kit? Or are you liking the 40 gallons? 

56 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Did you price it out to see how much money you save?

The brands listed are name brand but don't have experience with the powerheads and such.

I personally like to start from bare bones so I can get exactly what I want. For example, I like controllable powerheads and live rock. 

The IM's are all now sold as IM pro with the basket, sock, mighty jet pump, upgraded mesh screen which are pretty well priced.

The other stuff is a brs add on which definitely could be purchased separately with preferred choices and savings.

10 minutes ago, Matteo said:

This hobby ain't cheap! Ai prime is already pretty cheap as it going to get for a good reef light especially for that size tank. 

Maybe get a smaller tank so you can afford a light and the gear you need. Sand, live rock, dosing chemicals, it all adds up pretty quick. Do they have a 20g version of that kit? Or are you liking the 40 gallons? 

I'm liking the 40 gallons for sure. 20 just seems a tad too small to have enough stocking variety etc. I can wait a few weeks or months and have a larger budget if need be. 

• Like 1
Just now, Clown79 said:

The IM's are all now sold as IM pro with the basket, sock, mighty jet pump, upgraded mesh screen which are pretty well priced.

The other stuff is a brs add on which definitely could be purchased separately with preferred choices and savings.

Okay. I'll look into that which would need the 2 power heads, probably still carabsea sand, maybe live rock, skimmer, lights, stand, and who knows what else...

1 hour ago, Justincl said:

Found this bundle/kit that includes literally everything non livestock wise that I'd need aside from lighting and testers (and stand but there's one that's made for it that I could get)

Is this a decent bundle kit for a beginner to start off a first reef tank with or are some/any of the products low quality/not stuff I should get?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/40-gallon-nuvo-fusion-pro-aio-saltwater-aquarium-starter-kit-bundle.html

I'd price out the IM Pro kit by itself which comes with upgraded return pump, mesh lid, media basket, and socks.

Then price out the other things you need.

You don't need 40lbs of sand or rock.

You can buy other powerheads. Sicce is great but there are others that are cheaper, not as big. You can get jebao which come with a controller or a tunze nano(the nano i have is super powerful i had to mod it for my 20g)

You can get refractometers on amazon

Heaters, jagger, aqueon pro are great. Some use cobalt.

There are budget lights like mars aqua viparspectra that are decent but the truly cheap lights - you will end up replacing sooner than later which costs more in the end. A lot of us have been down this road.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I'd price out the IM Pro kit by itself which comes with upgraded return pump, mesh lid, media basket, and socks.

Then price out the other things you need.

You can buy other powerheads. Sicce is great but there are others that are cheaper, not as big. You can get jebao which come with a controller or a tunze nano(the nano i have is super powerful i had to mod it for my 20g)

You can get refractometers on amazon

Heaters, jagger, aqueon pro are great. Some use cobalt.

There are budget lights like mars aqua viparspectra that are decent but the truly cheap lights - you will end up replacing sooner than later which costs more in the end. A lot of us have been down this road.

Okay. I think I'll check out the just tank kit. Would that have a spot I could do macro algae and fit the heater in there as well? 

I'll look into the tunze nano, maybe 2 of them to add. Then maybe 20 lbs of actual live rock not dry. 20 lbs, possibly more of the carabsea sand. I might end up going with a single ai prime for the light. Then probably an eheim Jager as I have one for my fw tank and it works great, but possibly a temp controller thing to be sure in case it breaks. 

Would I want to add a skimmer to that?

1 hour ago, Justincl said:

No math yet as I honestly have no idea exactly what products, brands, etc I would need to get but as far as I can tell this seems to be a bit cheaper than getting a 40b and equipment for that. 

And it chooses everything for me which seems nice. 

I vote 40b 😁. I'm a bit biased though. 

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I agree. No need for 40 lbs of rock and definitely not 40 lbs of sand. 

I prefer to go live rock, which is a little more expensive but has it's benefits in my opinion. No need for the Dr. Tims and One and Only either if going with live rock

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 5*Chris said:

I vote 40b 😁. I'm a bit biased though. 

Haha. I've ruled out the full kit and am considering either that (would take a lot more research to see if I need a skimmer, filter type, what a refugium is, where to put macro algae, etc but likely cheaper) or just the tank kit from this. 

Just did a quick search.

The IM40  pro is $499.99

So you need to price out separately

Sand

Rock

Powerheads/wave makers - (tunze, hydor, jebao, kps, nero3) you don't necessarily need 2

Heaters - eheim jagger, aqueon pro, cobalt

Light - mars aqua, viparspectra, Ai Prime hd's

Ammonia and bacteria supplement- Dr tim's Ammonia and biospira

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate test kits

This is the beginning stuff.

Unfortunately its not a cheap hobby by any means. I just spent $200 on rodi filters, 3 test kits, and dosing products. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, paulsz said:

I agree. No need for 40 lbs of rock and definitely not 40 lbs of sand. 

I prefer to go live rock, which is a little more expensive but has it's benefits in my opinion. No need for the Dr. Tims and One and Only either if going with live rock

I despise one and only. 4 doses of that over 2 months and my fw 29 wasn't at all cycled, ammonia was constant. I gave up, then a friend who's more into sw recommend throwing a dead shrimp in. I did this, and a week or two later I added a fish and it has been smooth sailing since. 

1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Just did a quick search.

The IM40  pro is $499.99

So you need to price out separately

Sand

Rock

Powerheads/wave makers - (tunze, hydor, jebao, kps, nero3) you don't necessarily need 2

Heaters - eheim jagger, aqueon pro, cobalt

Light - mars aqua, viparspectra, Ai Prime hd's

Ammonia and bacteria supplement- Dr tim's Ammonia and biospira

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate test kits

This is the beginning stuff.

Unfortunately its not a cheap hobby by any means. I just spent $200 on rodi filters, 3 test kits, and dosing products. 

1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Instead of ammonia and bacteria, I'd rather just do the live rock and toss a refrigerated fresh shrimp from my local grocery store in. Saves money too. 

Live rock, maybe 20-30lbs

I like the tunze power heads, 250-1350 gph one for 160 and that's perfect. 

Eheim heaters are the ones I like. Maybe a temp control outlet thing to be safe. 

Will likely just do ai prime. 

Is the API kit good for salt or is there others?

And 20-30 lbs of carabsea live sand. 

8 minutes ago, Justincl said:

Okay. I think I'll check out the just tank kit. Would that have a spot I could do macro algae and fit the heater in there as well? 

I'll look into the tunze nano, maybe 2 of them to add. Then maybe 20 lbs of actual live rock not dry. 20 lbs, possibly more of the carabsea sand. I might end up going with a single ai prime for the light. Then probably an eheim Jager as I have one for my fw tank and it works great, but possibly a temp controller thing to be sure in case it breaks. 

Would I want to add a skimmer to that?

The IM Pro kit is the exact same tank thats being sold in the brs kit. The brs kit, they just compiled a bunch of stuff you need plus the tank kit at a price. But you don't get to choose your powerheads, heater etc.

I am also considering doing a 40b as cheap stands are easy to find, albeit don't have storage. 

I could do a fluval c4 hob filter or the aquaclear equivalent. Might need to buy some different media. Maybe a cpr hob refugium (and return pump?) if that's practical and a good idea. A good hob skimmer. And that would be less pretty and a ton of hob stuff but would be cheaper than the aio. 

3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The IM Pro kit is the exact same tank thats being sold in the brs kit. The brs kit, they just compiled a bunch of stuff you need plus the tank kit at a price. But you don't get to choose your powerheads, heater etc.

Yeah. I'm asking if the tank has a spot that I could do macro algae. I think I'm leaning towards just the tank and customize or maybe a 40b. Either is expensive... although when I think about it the full kit might be the cheapest option but I'm not sure. 

1 minute ago, Justincl said:

I am also considering doing a 40b as cheap stands are easy to find, albeit don't have storage. 

I could do a fluval c4 hob filter or the aquaclear equivalent. Might need to buy some different media. Maybe a cpr hob refugium (and return pump?) if that's practical and a good idea. A good hob skimmer. And that would be less pretty and a ton of hob stuff but would be cheaper than the aio. 

40b-$40 Petco dollar per gallon

40b Brooklyn stand-$60

Tunze Comline 3163 filter-$85

Leaves plenty for a nice light setup, wave pump, and all other accessories.

• Like 1

Instead of ammonia and bacteria, I'd rather just do the live rock and toss a refrigerated fresh shrimp from my local grocery store in. Saves money too. 

Live rock, maybe 20-30lbs

I like the tunze power heads, 250-1350 gph one for 160 and that's perfect. 

Eheim heaters are the ones I like. Maybe a temp control outlet thing to be safe. 

Will likely just do ai prime. 

Is the API kit good for salt or is there others?

And 20-30 lbs of carabsea live sand. 

If you get liverock, there isn't a need for the shrimp, ghost feeding, or ammonia. Just the rock.

Its definitely a better way to go financially as well for the tanks benefit.

I have tunze nanostream 6020. It has no controller, can be used vertically or horizontally like gyres. Its really powerful, i was very surprised especially for the price. Its small too which makes it blend in.

If you want controllability the 6040 comes with it.

Sicce's are great. I have the 530 but my biggest complaint is size, shape, and lack of direction. Otherwise they work well.

Jagger heaters are great, just measure to make sure it will fit length wise in the second rear chamber.

Inkbird controllers are good and well priced. 

• Like 1
Just now, 5*Chris said:

40b-$40 Petco dollar per gallon

40b Brooklyn stand-$60

Tunze Comline 3163 filter-$85

Leaves plenty for a nice light setup, wave pump, and all other accessories.

You have quite likely won me over to getting a 40b along with another person who recommended it. 

4 minutes ago, Justincl said:

Yeah. I'm asking if the tank has a spot that I could do macro algae. I think I'm leaning towards just the tank and customize or maybe a 40b. Either is expensive... although when I think about it the full kit might be the cheapest option but I'm not sure. 

You can do macro in the display or the rear chamber- if you need to.

You have quite likely won me over to getting a 40b along with another person who recommended it. 

I highly recommend the Tunze 3163, the magnetic mounting has options to space it out to clear the rim on rimmed tanks. There's also a spot for a heater and mounting for a Tunze ato sensor. And for return it actually uses a wave pump inside.