Pod Your Reef

Nanoreefer7000

So after years of lurking and constant research I have finally taken the plunge on my first marine tank. I bought the tank used nuvo 10.

Equipment:

Intank media basket chamber 1

Mighty jet 

RFG 

AI Prime HD

Tunze ATO

D and D heater controller

Hardscape:

Dry rock

Fiji Pink Live Sand

Livestock:

A pair of clownfish

Filtration:

Filter floss

Chemi pure blue (50g)

Corals:

Green hammer

Purple tipped frog spawn

Watermelon zoas

Speckled people eater zoas

Bird of paradise seriatopora 

• Like 2

Looks good.

Just a heads up, the spin stream drops flow by 50%. 

You might want to look into the rfg nozzles which are better, make no noise, have no moving parts that break.

• Thanks 1
Nanoreefer7000

A little update and pictures

I was planning on taking things a bit slower because I am due to be away for a few weeks but a used AI Prime HD came up for a great price and it was local so that has been added. I also have been experimenting with the water level in the back sump. I was running it about an inch below the top but I took some water out so there is now a little drop through the over flow onto the filter floss in the media basket, seems to work better and surface skim now. I have also ordered the Sicce 0.5 and a red sea mature reef kit to get the cycle started.

Stocking wise I am have two options:

1. A pair of clowns

2. A Royal Gramma and gobby/shrimp pair

Any more suggestions are always appreciated.

On 9/28/2020 at 3:54 PM, Clown79 said:

Looks good.

You might want to look into the rfg nozzles which are better, make no noise, have no moving parts that break.

I have waited ordering the spin stream. I did read a few people complaining about the noise of the spinstream. I will see if I can find a RFG, any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

Nanoreefer7000

Pictures as promised. Please excuse the dirty glass.20201005_224138.thumb.jpg.9e78f6953db4c0a483618a93a2a830dd.jpg20201005_224132.thumb.jpg.7655e2c727d68ae4abd9bc7034efa03a.jpg20201005_224126.thumb.jpg.8bc7702f7a747a449e83f6e39fddad1f.jpg

Oh I also found a corner bedside cabinet that needed work so that was last weekends project. I used a ebony waterproof stain which conveniently matches my lounge furniture so no one can complain too loudly. The stain is meant for outdoor use but I let it cure for 48 hours and figured it being a bit more robust against the inevitable salt splashes would be a good idea. Pictures of that to follow. 

• Like 2
Nanoreefer7000

Spent the weekend attempting to aquascape. After at least 6 hours I ended up settling on this and glued it together ,using a super glue gel, mostly to stop me from changing it again 😂

IMG-20201011-WA0002.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Nanoreefer7000

20201024_171955.thumb.jpg.6dede2bd0eb2baa8eacaef37e03273e2.jpgNot sure if anyone is reading this ha ha but cycling has started. Taking it's sweet time but it's happening and that's what matters. I'm using Brightwell Microbacter 7 and Dr Tim's ammonium chloride. Dosed the tank the 2ppm ammonia and added a half a capfull of Mitrobacter. When ammonia dropped I dosed it back to 2ppm. Also couldn't leave the scape alone either...

20201024_170810.jpg

20201024_170802.jpg

• 1 month later...
Nanoreefer7000

Pretty sure no one is following but here's an update 😂. Added a hammer, frog spawn a few freebie zoas and bird of paradise seriatopora. The sps is more out of interest to see if the tank can support it. Plan to move them on when I want the space. Also changed the sicce 1.0 for a mighty jet. Despite my best attempts the sicce was too noisy.

20201208_161957.jpg

• Like 3
IndominusHuman
On 9/28/2020 at 9:54 AM, Clown79 said:

Looks good.

That much?! Dang! I that's ridiculous.