40 Gallon 10/12/20 10/03/20
Alkalinity: 15.7 dKH >16 dKH
Phosphorus: 6 ppb* 0 ppb
Nitrate: 0.0 ppm 0.0 ppm

100 Gallon 10/12/20 10/03/20
Alkalinity: 12.5 dKH 13.1 dKH
Phosphorus: 17 ppb** 3 ppb
Nitrate: 0.2 ppm 0.0 ppm

* Phosphorus of 6 ppb = 0.018 ppm of phosphate.

** Phosphorus of 17 ppb = 0.052 ppm of phosphate.

I didn't get my water change done yesterday, so I didn't dose Vibrant today.  Hopefully I'll get both done tomorrow.

Also, I have some calcium nitrate from AquariumFertilizer.com that I think I'll start dosing.  I'd be happier with nitrate closer to 2 to 5 ppm.

• Like 3

seabass

So I did complete my water changes and Vibrant dosing today.  Dose 2 - Week 2

I still have much work to do on both sand beds, but I'm limiting my water changes to just prior to dosing.  I suppose that means I can perform additional water changes once I start dosing twice a week (in week four).

• Like 3

seabass

Some pics from today:

100 Gallon:

101520c.jpg

You can see that the rock, where I scraped off the bubble algae, is still clean and white.

101520d.jpg

101520e.jpg

A couple of heavily covered rocks.

101520f.jpg

101520g.jpg

40 Gallon:

101520h.jpg

101520i.jpg

101520j.jpg

101520k.jpg

101520l.jpg

• Like 3

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I love seeing the baby rock flower nems!!

• Like 3

seabass

More testing today, 10/17/20:

40 Gallon 10/17/20 10/12/20 10/03/20
Alkalinity: 14.1 dKH 15.7 dKH >16 dKH
Phosphorus: 4 ppb* 6 ppb 0 ppb
Nitrate: 0.0 ppm 0.0 ppm 0.0 ppm

100 Gallon 10/17/20 10/12/20 10/03/20
Alkalinity: 12.3 dKH 12.5 dKH 13.1 dKH
Phosphorus: 23 ppb** 17 ppb 3 ppb
Nitrate: 1.0 ppm 0.2 ppm 0.0 ppm

* 0.012 ppm phosphate

** 0.067 ppm phosphate

I haven't dosed any nutrients yet.  I'm guessing that the nutrient increase in the 100 gallon could be due to disruptions in the sand bed.  I should be able to get in another water change this weekend, so that I can dose Vibrant on Monday.

Also note that I've been trying to slowly bring down alkalinity, so I don't believe that Vibrant has caused these declines.

• Like 2

seabass

I did water changes and dosed Vibrant today (week 3).  Here's the resulting carnage (from the water change) in my 100 gallon tank.

101920a.jpg

The sand bed is still very dirty. :blush:

101920b.jpg

I'm kind of looking forward to next week, when I'll be performing two water changes, as I switch to dosing Vibrant twice a week (with water changes prior to each dosing).  Once I finally get the tank cleaned up, I'll revert back to doing weekly water changes, even though I'll continue dosing Vibrant twice weekly.

One might suspect that changes could be due to the increased maintenance.  And while I'm pretty sure that it will impact the tank and corals, I'm equally sure that maintenance wouldn't fully rid either of these tanks of algae.

Again, I would probably recommend deep cleaning your tank prior to dosing Vibrant.  However, obviously, I didn't do this myself.  I guess I got a little ahead of myself.

• Like 3

Pjanssen
13 hours ago, seabass said:

One might suspect that changes could be due to the increased maintenance.  And while I'm pretty sure that it will impact the tank and corals, I'm equally sure that maintenance wouldn't fully rid either of these tanks of algae.

Great write up so far.  Just want to mention that I'm pretty good about regular maintenance, usually doing water changes at least bi weekly and often weekly, and I'm still battling a pretty bad algae outbreak. I think I tend to overfeed though. Going to order some vibrant and give it a try. You think it will kill Macros?

• Thanks 1

seabass
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

You think it will kill Macros?

Unfortunately, yes.  But how effective could it really be if it didn't.

To save them, I put the macros in another tank until treatment was completed.  But ended up converting that holding tank into another cardinalfish nursery.

• Like 1

seabass

Here's the 100 gallon late last week:

And the 40 gallon tank:

• Like 2