Cultivated Reef

Paly fragging- what do y'all do to clean tools afterward?

Tired

I'm going to frag some Captain Jerks palythoas in the next couple days. Those are some of the nasty ones, IIRC. They certainly slime up if you bother them. 

How do I get the palytoxin off my tools and gloves afterward? Is hot tap water, a wipedown with something disposable, and some time to sit sufficient? 

Edit: holy moly, how do people do this neatly? I've gotten frags that are clearly a bit of a frag disc attached to another disc, but I don't know how people neatly cut up the disk with something growing on it. Strong saw, I guess. Did not, uh, neatly manage anything. Got some real angry palys now. I let them sit in a cup of water for a bit to calm down, then put carbon in my filter when they went back into the tank. 

2 hours ago, Tired said:

I'm going to frag some Captain Jerks palythoas in the next couple days. Those are some of the nasty ones, IIRC. They certainly slime up if you bother them. 

How do I get the palytoxin off my tools and gloves afterward? Is hot tap water, a wipedown with something disposable, and some time to sit sufficient? 

Edit: holy moly, how do people do this neatly? I've gotten frags that are clearly a bit of a frag disc attached to another disc, but I don't know how people neatly cut up the disk with something growing on it. Strong saw, I guess. Did not, uh, neatly manage anything. Got some real angry palys now. I let them sit in a cup of water for a bit to calm down, then put carbon in my filter when they went back into the tank. 

Good question.

I have never fragged paly's or zoas myself.

This frag plug, which I glued to the rock, had grown polyps onto the rock. I wanted to cut those free of the plug, then take an edge off the plug with a couple polyps before splitting the frag plug into a couple more pieces. The ones on the rock turned out to have split themselves off the colony, which is pretty handy, but my attempt to handle the plug didn't work so well. I wound up with a very messy edge of the plug with about 4 polyps on it, and the rest of the plug very annoyed. Miiiight have shredded the base of one polyp a bit. Couldn't find a good way to get at them with the knife without putting my gloved hand in a position I didn't like. 

Well, at least these are hardy, and the majority of them are just annoyed. I guess the size of the polyps makes these harder to frag, since they completely cover the surface of the plug even when closed up, instead of shrinking down into a bunch of little lumps you can easily slice between. 

• Like 1