Innovative Marine Aquariums

QT Copper and Waterchanges

A.m.P

So, I'm a bit new to using copper and really could use a bit more information about waterchange procedures.
I've read it's obviously best-practice to pre-treat water with copper before a waterchange, however the logistics of that would be difficult-to-impossible with my current space, means, and setups.

The two QT systems are about 3 gallons each and have about 30x hourly turnover:
My current procedure is to, pump off - remove 50% water-, replace with NSW, pump on then re-dose Copper power into direct-flow -within the span of 3 minutes or so-.

Does this pose a significant risk towards a failed QT period?

Thanks for your time!

1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

So, I'm a bit new to using copper and really could use a bit more information about waterchange procedures.
I've read it's obviously best-practice to pre-treat water with copper before a waterchange, however the logistics of that would be difficult-to-impossible with my current space, means, and setups.

The two QT systems are about 3 gallons each and have about 30x hourly turnover:
My current procedure is to, pump off - remove 50% water-, replace with NSW, pump on then re-dose Copper power into direct-flow -within the span of 3 minutes or so-.

Does this pose a significant risk towards a failed QT period?

Thanks for your time!

Perhaps not a significant chance (probably very low depending on parasite load) but if a parasite attaches in that span then the QT was a waste. Copper only kills the free swimmers. Just buy a cheap bucket at home depot or such as your copper bucket (mark it). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Perhaps not a significant chance (probably very low depending on parasite load) but if a parasite attaches in that span then the QT was a waste. Copper only kills the free swimmers. Just buy a cheap bucket at home depot or such as your copper bucket (mark it). 

I really don't have space for any more buckets, apartment living and all that... I'll have to make an attempt at figuring something out, but I'm pushing space and lease-ordinances as-is.

4 hours ago, Amphrites said:

I really don't have space for any more buckets, apartment living and all that... I'll have to make an attempt at figuring something out, but I'm pushing space and lease-ordinances as-is.

Murphy's law... If tomonts happen to be releasing free swimmers into the water while the copper level is below therapeutic, the QT will fail. All it takes is a few seconds.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

Murphy's law... If tomonts happen to be releasing free swimmers into the water while the copper level is below therapeutic, the QT will fail. All it takes is a few seconds.

I figured that might be the case, but wanted to make sure I wasn't being overly-cautious or paranoid, I'll figure something out.
Thanks, both of you, appreciate it, definitely want to get this right the first time.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Amphrites said:

I figured that might be the case, but wanted to make sure I wasn't being overly-cautious or paranoid, I'll figure something out.
Thanks, both of you, appreciate it, definitely want to get this right the first time.

Paranoid.  

If that three minutes makes the difference (ie ends up killing the fish), then the fish was already on its way out for some other reason than the original infection.  

Remember that the whole point is that he's supposed to be getting better during this QT time, not worse.  All too often fish end up getting worse in QT though, so it's a worthy concern.  Tank too small is a common QT issue...but there are many others.  Unfortunately it's pretty much easier to do QT wrong than it is to do right....or just as easy.

Regardless, IMO this copper dosing issue seems like it should be a solvable problem.  Maybe it's a problem with the QT design and you need a fundamentally different setup?

BRAINSTORM WARNING

How long has this QT been running with this group of fish?  (ie how far through the treatment are they?)

What is your pumping out/pumping in setup that you mentioned all about?

Can't you do a water change on a 3 gallon tank with something like a cup, or just about any vessel, and dose the copper in there?  I'm not sure why a special container (that needs special storage) would need to be considered for such a small tank....seems like overkill when there's nothing to gain from overkill.

You aren't depending solely on copper are you?  :eek:  That's a put-all-your-eggs-in-one-basket approach.  

What about freshwater dips?  UV filtration?  Micron filtration?  

Copper, in any combination with these, and I really, really, really don't see your "3 minute gap" being a problem.

(Just on the side:  I don't know how you can reef without a spare bucket.  WTF is that?!? :lol:)

I have two spare buckets, and the water is just typically siphoned out. I get water from the lfs pre-mixed, just going to need a third bucket which I can bin after the fact, there's no more room to store more saltwater in the usual spot so I'll just have to leave the bucket out in the living space with the fish I suppose lol.

Edit- actually I'll just use gallon jugs, I have a bunch lying around and it will take no time at all to fill one and drop copper in it.

• Like 1