ReefCleaners.org

Drastic Pest Anenome Warefare Idea?

matth6761

So, I've got a bunch of aiptasia popping up on my rocks that I would like to eliminate. I've also got this soldering iron sitting in my junk-drawer that doesn't see a lot of use. Let's say that I take the rock with the pest anemone out of the tank, and (while minding electrical safety) placed the tip of the soldering iron on/in/around the aiptasia, burning the little bugger into charcoal. That should be the end of it and it won't grow back, right? Aiptasia can't grow from charcoal, can it? Looking for insight before I ruin my soldering iron.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, matth6761 said:

So, I've got a bunch of aiptasia popping up on my rocks that I would like to eliminate. I've also got this soldering iron sitting in my junk-drawer that doesn't see a lot of use. Let's say that I take the rock with the pest anemone out of the tank, and (while minding electrical safety) placed the tip of the soldering iron on/in/around the aiptasia, burning the little bugger into charcoal. That should be the end of it and it won't grow back, right? Aiptasia can't grow from charcoal, can it? Looking for insight before I ruin my soldering iron.

I’ve heard of people doing this but I’m not sure of the specifics. 

Aiptasia-X is very effective. Or liquid superglue over them, to seal them in. 

I know people use soldering irons like that. If you do, I STRONGLY suggest rubber gloves. You should probably have rubber gloves anyway, for handling things in the tank, and they seem safer than bare wet hands on a soldering iron. 

I had success with injecting  them with hydrogen peroxide using a ultra fine needled syringe.  I placed the frag in a container of salt water so the aiptasia would come out and to prevent excess  hydrogen peroxide from getting on the zoas.

• Like 1
On 9/6/2020 at 5:37 PM, matth6761 said:

Second time this use of a soldering iron has come up recently.....bizarre!  Go do a DIY LED build or something productive away from the tank with it!   :lol:

The Aiptasia/Mojano Wand is as technical as I'd ever get vs these things:

https://www.marinedepot.com/majano-wand-aiptasia-majano-eliminator

image.png.b52415cafb3258dafcb941016703d5d1.png

(I've used one, but don't have one myself.)

That's because @Paulb invented it tho.  (He sold rights long ago tho.  Go read about it!)

Even still, that Wand is pretty damned extreme when you can use a <$10 bottle of Aiptasia X or Joe's Juice.  Whatever works though!

Well if it retreats deep into the rock like some do...you probably won't get at it.

I just boil water on the stove and take a large syringe and squirt them and they melt. I usually can get out the melted parts by pulling back on the plunger.