ReefCleaners.org

MH for a 12 Gallon Deluxe JBJ nano cube

dmartin72

Well when I first started my first saltwater tank ever just a short 2 months ago, I bought what I thought were 3 pepperment shrimp from my LFS. I have a 25 gallon tank which has about 50# of live rock. How the heck am I going to catch those little buggers. I don't want to take out all that live rock. They are definitely chewing on the small star polyps and the zoos. I caught them red handed in the middle of the night. Oh by the way, you know you're addicted to this damn hobby when you spend all your money on it and get up in the middle of the night to see what happens when the lights go off.

David in DC

Uchiha, the skimming action they are probably talking about is from that water return diffuser. Jbj was afraid of adding an overflow because they probably found my review about the killer over flow mod on my website, j/k.

I like what they did to the nano cube. They covered up the fans to prevent salt creep from getting on the fans electical boards. I can see that they made slits in the refector to direct the air to the lights, that's kinda interesting. 48 watts instead of 24 watts 50/50 10000k lighting was a very good idea. I think the lighting will be sufficient enough for some beginner corals, and if the nano cube owner decides that the hobby is for him or her, then an upgrade to a more serious tank would be nessesary, and the use of serious lighting such as metal halide would be a good idea as well.

Cool pictures of the new nano cube dmartin72. May I use those on my website?

I have one question for you dmartin72. Since they covered up the fans form the saltwater, did they have the fans exhausting hot air, or intaking cool air? I would think they had the fans exhausting hot air, because that would make a whole lot of sense now that the fans are blocked from the water. I could use a pc case anology for why it is better to exhaust hot air instead of intake only cool air, but I won't. I will however say that intaking air relies alot on the ambient room temperature.

Quoted from dmartin72

you know you're addicted to this damn hobby when you spend all your money on it and get up in the middle of the night to see what happens when the lights go off.

Muhahhahaha, now you will suffer the life of nano-reef desires, and will never be able to reach the state of nirvana as Buddah did.

I want to thank everyone for giving me suggestions on how to catch those damn camel shrimp, NOT. No one gave me any ideas so I took out the live rock, which in the long run was better because I replaced the rock in a more pleasing way.

Kappa

The fans are definitely blowing out (exhaust). You can definitely use my pictures.

David

coral reef,

2x13 watts (26 watts - 6700k) of CF and one 15 watt (10000k) NOF for a grand total of 41 watts.

David in DC

PS I'm doing a 12 gallon nano cube deluxe with lots of driftwood with moss on it...very aquascaped! It should do really nicely with 48 watts of CF @ 6700K. I like the fact that no equipment will be in the front.

PSS I'm doing another 12 gallon nano cube deluxe REEF as well. I probably will do a light MOD to get the wattage up to at least 72.

Is that glossostigma? If so, you need more light on it. I'm sure you know that already, but I have used it before and didn't get the right carpet until I got up around 7 watts a gallon. That included co2 inj as well. Tough plant to grow, but very pretty.

Yep, it is glosso. Higher watt per gallon would definitely work, but it also requires even more CO2 to be injected to keep up with the higher wattage. I find that after initially planting glosso and getting some healthy vertical growth allows a good cutting right at the gravel/sand level (the lower the better). This usually sends out horizontal growth and if it doesn't I keep cutting it lower until it does. With this tank, I am allowing the glossostigma towards the back of the foreground to grow vertically. This will lead to a slope of glosso that blends from a very low position all the way up to the other taller stem plants.

David in DC

dmartin - great planted tank you got. My nano cube deluxe is on its way over to my place right now. This year i'm gonna make it a planted tank, and kick it up to a saltwater next year. I'm doing planted right now just because I'm not in a very permanent location. I finally gave in! I missed my 29g reef back at home too much that I broke down and got a deluxe cube. Let me know how the planted tank works out for you in the cube! perhaps you can help me get some ideas when I get mine started!

uchida, the skimming on the deluxe is slighty better only. im somewhat disapointed in it actually. the only flaw. and i love these tanks. i have two of them and plan to buy a third. but i still see brown film on top of the deluxe :(

Archived