Top Shelf Aquatics

MH for a 12 Gallon Deluxe JBJ nano cube

dmartin72

When I get my two new 12 Gallon Deluxe JBJ nano cubes, I want to supplement the 48 watts of CF with a metal halide kit that has a remote ballast. Suggestions/concerns?

David in DC

Yup. Can't do it unless you ditch the whole hood. Too much heat and thus a fire risk, not to mention boiling the inhabitants. It has to go much higher up than the stock hood permits.

Also, the plastic splash guard would fry and you would need a sheet of glass regardless. If you want MH get a diff tank or you must get a custom hood.

Matt Gecko sells beautiful ones.

if you want MH, i would suggest for you to get something other than a nano-cube.

the nano-cube is a kick-@$$ tank for beginners, especially with the new "deluxe" version, but if you would like to use MH, the only way to do so is to ditch the hood for MANY reasons (heat hazard/safety/functionality) as stated above by xcajx.

instead of getting 2 nano-cubes, why don't you get 1 nano-cube, and one "other" tank in which you can retrofit a MH setup into?

Thanks for the heads up! Are there any other light mods to supplement more light another route? I have a nano cube coming today. I really want to keep a clam, which I'm assuming I can't do with only 48 watts of stock CM. Comments/suggestions/concerns?

TIA,

David in DC

Would like to know the same thing. Is there any room in the std deluxe hood for maybe an additional 32 W PC light? This would yield approx 8 watts/gallon so LPS would be possible and maybe a clam if close to the top.

Wow I just got my two new deluxe 12 gallon nano cube. This thing looks incredible! I am studying the inside of the canopy right now and there is just about NO room to add anymore light :( If I did, it would be really tight!

The tank looks incredible. If you like tight smooth lines, you will definitely like the deluxe nano cube. In terms of durability, the nano cube looks and feels pretty long lasting unless you are doing a lot of mods. Specifically, I think that constant screwing and unscrewing would wear out the screw holes. On the other hand the wiring of the lights and fans all look really nice.

David in DC

damn that looks sexy... almost makes me want to go out and get another cube... -_-!

they said they improved surface skimming, but i don't see how they did it... what did they add to make it "surface skim" ???

One of my new nano deluxes will be a heavily planted freshwater tank (a la Amano) and the other a nano reef of course. Oh by the way, they are damn sexy!

I never saw the old nano cube, but there are slits at the top back portion of wall which acts as an overflow into the filter. Since the water is syphoned off the surface before it goes into the filter, it may help to get rid of some scum.

Two of the power cords hook up to the ballast for the lights. The other one is for pump. Also, there is a matching hole and rubber gromet (sp?) on the other side to accomadate another power cord (i.e. heater in the filter section, which has plenty of room to play).

David in DC

PS I attached a picture of my current 10 gallon planted freshwater tank.

Archived