Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

DIY repair of Apex display. Is it possible?

chaostactics

chaostactics

Anyone every try (and successfully) replace the wet toilet paper strength cord for an Apex display?  Using a spare USB A/USB A cable (I mean totally official Aquabus (TM) cable). 

Cable ripped on mine. Thought that was the only issue but clean up a re-solder doesn't seem to have fixed the issue, but I'm also hot garbage with soldering

PhotoGrid_1598310704321.jpg

chaostactics

I DID IT! I DID IT!!
I had another display laying around I paid like $7 shipped on nano-reef and it was sold as "non-working AS-IS". This was the one I bought originally to play around with learn how to learn how to solder. When I pulled this one apart I noticed the wires were soldered the opposite direction through the board then the one that was working up until 24 hours ago. Desoldered the whole mess use the exact same wire I used in the pictures above resoldered plugged it in and LIFE!!!

PhotoGrid_1598314636850.jpg

• Like 3

Take some Rubbing Alcohol 91% or above, and clean the extra flux off around the Solder joints. It can Migrate and get into your variable resistors and cause trouble. I was a Certified Factory Rep. for a company and was Soldering Remote Battery Packs, to replace the failed soldered on the Board Batteries. The Factory threatened to pull my Certification, and even sent a notice to that government agency. Someone should have checked on what they did, LOL. Got them a bunch of grief. You should be able to get the Isopropyl from an independent Drug Store. 

• Like 2