SaltCritters.com

Bristleworm Trap Works

banasophia

Hi guys, just checked my tank and discovered that my new bristleworm trap worked! I’ve purchased another one in the past, and I’ve made my own, but neither worked, so I’m really excited that this one may be a good one for nano tanks. The holes are pretty small so it won’t work on really big bristleworms, but it did the trick and caught quite a few of the smaller ones. 

Aquarium Supplies ISTA Clear Glass Planaria Trap for Cherry Shrimp Crystal red Shrimp Dwarf Shrimp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DTVQAVO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_4APpFb08WQ7V1

8AD3328A-0B45-4344-912F-90011F188A74.thumb.jpeg.85dcd7bbe59f0a8a17b56fae852236a4.jpeg

B7B83F4C-71CA-4D50-987C-97E349A8691D.thumb.jpeg.727aeb9d87f8441953a36b2a8c629068.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

@kimberbee... thought I’d tag you in case you’re still looking for one. That blue plastic one we tried a while back didn’t trap any for me... this one is much better, and fits well in a nano tank too. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one of these, but it only had the two holes with smaller circumference. I had no luck with it, but this gives me hope that this model might work. What bait did you find works best?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Break said:

I bought one of these, but it only had the two holes with smaller circumference. I had no luck with it, but this gives me hope that this model might work. What bait did you find works best?

Yes, the holes are pretty small so it is better with small to medium sized bristleworms. 

I put a half cube of marine cuisine in it. Sometimes bigger bristleworms do get stuck in the holes and block the entry of additional worms for the night, but even when that happens I’m happy cuz at least it means I caught three big ones. Plus when that happens I find that tons more just gather underneath it and I can grab them out by hand with my long forceps. 

• 2 weeks later...

This morning’s catch - yikes - I counted over 30! One problem I can report is that because it’s glass, of course it will shatter if you drop it. I bumped mine off the counter right after I had posted about them on Instagram. Thankfully it was clean at the time, and I was glad I was able to get a replacement. 

82F4352B-BBA7-4097-A1DB-9CA68E456F21.thumb.jpeg.2478ca20933ae7263d2b38969b5bb1ac.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1