Coral Vue Hydros

Temp control (high)

IXI_KARL_IXI

IXI_KARL_IXI

I have a tmc 15 tank set up with a standard 25w heater, the type where you twist a dial to a desired temp. I have it set to 22c The lowest setting and the water temp is 28-29. I don’t have fans or any cooling. Would a D-D temp controller work to help lower the temp to 25-26? Never used a temp controller before so am a little lost, also never had a tank that won’t cool down before. An help or input would be great 

NoOneLikesADryTang

A temperature controller is not going to change the temperature of your aquarium, it will only turn on and off the heater and/or fan/chiller.

If I were you, I'd run a fan over the top of the tank, and use evaporation cooling to cool the temperature of the tank. This is where the controller would kick in (I use an inkbird, they're cheap, and have been rock solid for me - all though there have been a few people that have had them fail.) you'd plug both your heater, and fan in to the controller, program it to what temperatures you want them to turn on and off at, and it'll keep your tank temps more stable. 

• Like 1
TerraIncognita

I've heard putting a small fan on the tank so it hits the top of the water will drop it a few degrees.

I've not yet researched into affordable, or good fans that will work on top of the tank.

NoOneLikesADryTang
3 hours ago, TerraIncognita said:

I've heard putting a small fan on the tank so it hits the top of the water will drop it a few degrees.

I've not yet researched into affordable, or good fans that will work on top of the tank.

It works well. I’ve got cheap “aquarium fans” over our 17-gallon ADAs, and it it will drop it a few degrees, in about 45 minutes. We live in Phoenix, where the house gets in to the 80s, during the hottest part of the day, and the fans do a good job of dropping the temp from 80-81 to 78. We have them connected to an inkbird that turns them on when the tank hits 81, and turns off once the tank is 78 again. It takes anywhere between half an hour and an hour, depending on how warm the house is (from 3-6 pm our electricity is outrageous, so we try not to run the AC if possible.) 

TerraIncognita

Thanks for the info, and there you go OP

4 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

It works well. I’ve got cheap “aquarium fans” over our 17-gallon ADAs, and it it will drop it a few degrees, in about 45 minutes. We live in Phoenix, where the house gets in to the 80s, during the hottest part of the day, and the fans do a good job of dropping the temp from 80-81 to 78. We have them connected to an inkbird that turns them on when the tank hits 81, and turns off once the tank is 78 again. It takes anywhere between half an hour and an hour, depending on how warm the house is (from 3-6 pm our electricity is outrageous, so we try not to run the AC if possible.) 

I use THIS controller, I plug in my heater and THIS fan into the controller and bam. My heat stays within 0.3 degrees of what I set it as. And that is even when the temps in my apartment have climbed to 30 C (that's 86 F for the Americans).

I've strapped the fan to my AI prime light mount.

2007497684_WhatsAppImage2020-08-05at9_53_42PM.thumb.jpeg.7b0ac065b8639520171edfcff623825f.jpeg

If you're sure the heater isn't staying on when it's not supposed to, then your heat is coming from other sources. Pumps and ambient temperatures can crank your temps up.

Aquarium fans are about the cheapest and easiest solution. Keep in mind they can increase evaporation, though. 

Me, I have the other problem. I keep my room cold, so I actually have two heaters in my tank, because ones small enough to hide in the filter section don't have the oomph to keep it warm on their own. They're both plugged into an Inkbird controller, as a backup for if one of them fails. IMO, heaters should always be plugged into some sort of controller. That way, if a heater fails, and fails on, your tank doesn't get boiled. 

IXI_KARL_IXI

Thank you all for the help and advice, after reading everything you have all said I've decided to go with the D-Deal temp controller for the heater as it's still clicking on even at 26.9c and some D-D ocean runners fans to keep it stable. I live in the UK and the rooms not hot but something is keeping it hot so hopefully both controller and fans should eliminate the rise in temp  again thanks all for your advice 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

That will do a great job of keeping your tank a more constant temperature. Just make sure it's programmed correctly, and turns off once it's hit the temperature you want it to turn off at. I programmed mine incorrectly, and it cooled my tank to 72F before I caught it - luckily no issues were caused by the drop in temperature. 

TerraIncognita
2 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

That will do a great job of keeping your tank a more constant temperature. Just make sure it's programmed correctly, and turns off once it's hit the temperature you want it to turn off at. I programmed mine incorrectly, and it cooled my tank to 72F before I caught it - luckily no issues were caused by the drop in temperature. 

At least it went colder and not hotter! 

• Like 1
TerraIncognita
On 8/7/2020 at 5:45 AM, IXI_KARL_IXI said:

Thank you all for the help and advice, after reading everything you have all said I've decided to go with the D-Deal temp controller for the heater as it's still clicking on even at 26.9c and some D-D ocean runners fans to keep it stable. I live in the UK and the rooms not hot but something is keeping it hot so hopefully both controller and fans should eliminate the rise in temp  again thanks all for your advice 

Most likely what’s making your temperature go so high by the way is your return pump and the lighting.

Just so the mystery of heat isn’t lingering around haha.

a lot of people don’t realize those pumps can get to 90degrees or more while they’re operating.

so while the water movement and everything keeps them cool, the little motors in there do add a lot of heat.

also if you stick your hand for 30 seconds on the surface of your water, under your upgraded light, and you’ll see.

On 8/5/2020 at 3:41 PM, IXI_KARL_IXI said:

I have a tmc 15 tank set up with a standard 25w heater, the type where you twist a dial to a desired temp. I have it set to 22c The lowest setting and the water temp is 28-29. I don’t have fans or any cooling. Would a D-D temp controller work to help lower the temp to 25-26? Never used a temp controller before so am a little lost, also never had a tank that won’t cool down before. An help or input would be great 

As long as that's the warmest it gets, that should still be fine for a tropical reef.

Apply a cooling solution when the temperature gets ≥31-32ºC.  (Things *might* still be alright up to 33C or so if flow and other parameters are optimal so there is still time.)