Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

So many different fixtures available

my_sons_reef

my_sons_reef

After so many frustrations with my custom nanobox unit I am done with it. Now some of the blues do not respond at all and some are just off. My tank measures 36" long, 25' high, and 18" deep. I have mainly softies, a few LPS, 1 carpet anemone, and a 6-7" derasa clam that started off at 3". Don't get me wrong I really loved the nanobox fixture and I have had different versions since 2014, the ability to control the LEDs and set them up for different regions is awesome but I think its time to move on.  Based on what I have and a budget of $1,000 or less what fixture would yall recommend based on my tank dimensions, live stock, and tune it once and forget it.

An Orphek Atlantik V4 Compact Gen2! Matter of fact, I have one for sale! Haha.

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/414166-orphek-atlantik-v4-compact-gen2/

my_sons_reef
1 hour ago, j.falk said:

25 foot high is a tall tank!  How do you clean it?

LOL sorry 25", barely getting used to the new laptop keyboard 

8 hours ago, my_sons_reef said:

My tank measures 36" long, 25' high, and 18" deep. I have mainly softies, a few LPS, 1 carpet anemone, and a 6-7" derasa clam that started off at 3". Don't get me wrong I really loved the nanobox fixture and I have had different versions since 2014, the ability to control the LEDs and set them up for different regions is awesome but I think its time to move on.  Based on what I have and a budget of $1,000 or less what fixture would yall recommend based on my tank dimensions, live stock, and tune it once and forget it.

That's a 65 Gallon, right?   (36x18x24" Tall)

I don't know anything about Nanobox, but I would make sure you've exhausted all the help resources here on Nano-Reef before you make the final call.

But if that ship has already sailed, then $1000 is hardly a limit....and there're tons of great lights out there.

A pair of Kessil 160's or 360's would be really nice....probably my go-to option.

A Current USA "IC Pro" setup would also be nice.

Single-spots like the AI's and EcoTech's aren't so good unless you run them in sets like the Kessil suggestion above....but at that point I'd rather have Kessil's.

Reefbreeders has good options.

I really liked the Maxpect Razor I had....their current 180 watt version should be even better.

Even the Ocean Revive T247s I had worked really well – massive coverage thanks to the excellent spread of the emitters....a set of two is all you'd need.

It's pretty hard to make a BAD choice in lighting these days....I guess reef lighting has become a little like pizza in that way. 😉 

If you still want controllability of your settings without having to buy a controller , Ai. You can get 2 - 3 Prime 16hd.

There is the new Red Sea light you could look into.

mitten_reef

If I have to offer my 3 main choices:

1. an app-controllable/connected led - I’d go with minimum two AI hydra32HDs. 
2. A led bar option - 2 orphek OR3, one blue one daylight. I might even go with a 3rd bar if more blue is your thing, all on separate timers (2 blues can be on together). DO NOT get the current USA, they would do nothing in a tank that deep. 

3. T5 - 6 bulb T5 fixture with 4 blue plus and 2 coral plus. 

really, you can’t go wrong with any lighting these days. It’s all about preferences on look and functionality (app/no app, multi channels, etc). 

• Like 1
my_sons_reef

I probably should've been more specific on my current set up. Its a custom nanobox Quad setup.

Kessil, would a pair of those offer enough of an even spread? I don't think adding 3 would be feasible since I have a brace in the middle. 

Current USA IC PRO, From what I understand its 2 units totaling 72 watts?

Ecotech G5s look nice but I think I would need 2 in order to get enough spread $$$$

Reef Breeders, I like the look of the light but I am concerned I may run into the same issue as my nanobox 

AI Hydra, I am really leaning towards (2) 32HDs. 

Maxspect razor x R5 200w, is the runner up 

Ocean Revive, Awesome price point but without a ramp up or down period not very interested in this one

Orphek, Seems like the they have a lot of control between every spectrum, third choice

T5's, I'm not sure I can go back after getting used to LEDs. Way back I used to run MH and T5's and that was awesome.

You know with Ai or Kessil you will be fine.

Radions are great but $$$$.

Ai and Ecotech are joined companies now. 

Orphek look nice but can't personally comment.

I don't think the currents would handle the depth well.

I agree, after LEDS it would be hard going back to t5's

my_sons_reef

I'm pretty set on the dual 32s now. Looking over the mounting options and there goes more money lol. I liked the single adjustable arms on each to give my reef a clean look but not available for rimmed tanks. 

The single bracket across looks ugly and requires more hardware. 

NoOneLikesADryTang
33 minutes ago, my_sons_reef said:

I'm pretty set on the dual 32s now. Looking over the mounting options and there goes more money lol. I liked the single adjustable arms on each to give my reef a clean look but not available for rimmed tanks. 

I don’t have any experience with it, but I’ve seen people make spacers for use the HMS brackets on rimmed tanks. There’s also quite a few people that have used oscillating tv mounts with their hydras(especially the HD 26s, which were the generation before the 32s and I’ve got the over a couple of tanks. I’m a big fan of AI lights.) It gives it a clean look, and make it easy to move out of the for tank maintenance. 

6 hours ago, my_sons_reef said:

Can't argue against the Hydras....as I said, really no bad options out there.  

But yes the Kessils would be enough....opt for the 360's if you're looking for a higher light setup, or want to do it with just a pair (not three).

IMO the Kessils have a better look and seem to be easier to use as well.  $450/ea for 360X's or $350/ea for the old model.

I've got 360's on my 125 Gallon and I think it may be the best setup I've had since my Radium halide setup that I started with.