Top Shelf Aquatics

Dino killing my tank.

makingfilms

46 minutes ago, TerraIncognita said:

mmm I disagree a little with the youtube comment.

I think current leaders in the industry really are only working a lot online because that's where they are getting the most return right now (biggest bang for you buck)

Even a scientist wants to make money.

Having 1Million Youtube Subscribers is a lot easier and quicker than selling 1 million copies of a book, let alone the amount of money you get from you tube is probably much better. There's a reason that it's one of the fastest growing and continually growing websites.

I think however with reefers like yourself, you'd very easily be able to sort out from youtube whats good and whats junk. there is a lot of junk on youtube, but even those junk videos give new perspective on a lot of things.

I wouldn't suggest someone with no reefing experience to go snooping around Youtube other than for example BRSTV's 52 weeks of reefing.

But you can't sit here, and tell me that BRSTV's 52 weeks of reefing is not an in-depth resource. lol. sorry. I've learned more from them than any book I've ever read about reefing.

Send me the titles and lists of books you refer to. I'll read em too.

I do think that there are a lot of books from the 70's on Coral and fish and their care that are accurate and will remain to be accurate until time ends.

But as things progress in the hobby I feel you have to keep up on youtube and Instagram. If you don't feel that way That's fine. Just my personal opinion.

Wikipedia is just bs for sure that i agree ❤️ lol.

It might be easier and quicker but that doesn't make it more accurate or indepth information. I could argue that people see them flashy videos and rush to set up and fail.. some make it to the forums and some get out. 

BRS videos are nice and I do enjoy them and I love how stuff gets to my house fast as heck... I am glad they gave he videos but I would consider them suppliments and I also know they are a bit of marketing and sometimes set bad examples.

A Tang in a small tank is a bad example often shown on YouTube...and even shown in some BRS tanks...you recommend to put one in a 10g so not surprising you like YouTube.

I would recommend Bob Fenners website and books for accurate information on fish like Tangs and not a YouTube video or your personal feelings.

I would also recommend Paul B book...he is just a hobbiest but his tank is almost 50 years old and his fish die of old age...he keeps copperbands and difficult fish for their lifespan. His methods are old school and I don't agree with everything but there is still a lot to learn from a tank that is 50 years old.

• Like 3
TerraIncognita
20 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

It might be easier and quicker but that doesn't make it more accurate or indepth information. I could argue that people see them flashy videos and rush to set up and fail.. some make it to the forums and some get out. 

BRS videos are nice and I do enjoy them and I love how stuff gets to my house fast as heck... I am glad they gave he videos but I would consider them suppliments and I also know they are a bit of marketing too.

Yes correct.

But, I didn't say more accurate, I think probably any book or written text is the most accurate one could get. I do think however there are in-depth videos one can find on some of their topics on YouTube..... I don't think a lot of people will disagree that YouTube does contain some in-depth videos....

Lol, and you make my post very out of context.

I said a baby tomini (such as one in my photo) could easily be housed in a 10G while he set up his 50G Tank. (he had about a 6 months time frame) and once the 50G was set-up, a tomini could easily be transferred to a 50G. Tomini's get max of 6 Inches at total maturity. I'm sure he could house it for 3-4 years in a 50G before rehoming or upgrading again.

I'm not trying to start an argument my friend. Why does everyone want to fight here? Too Salty (get it?)

Thanks for the recommendations.

It's bad practice to recommend that people buy fish for tanks they don't currently have. What if he never set up the 50gal, due to personal issues or changing his mind? What about when it outgrew the tank- what if he couldn't find anyone to take it? 

Youtube videos can be useful, yes, but it's hard to tell which ones are good. Especially for someone new to the hobby. Also, remember to be a little skeptical of any video made with the intent to sell you something. 

Wikipedia can be a decent source, sometimes. There are plenty of people who do their best to make sure everything on it is accurate. The main reason it's not allowed to be used as a cited source is because it can be changed, not because it's necessarily inaccurate- though I do prefer to use it only for unimportant things, like "how fast can this particular bird fly". It can also be good to find a relevant article, scroll to the bottom, and see which of its sources might be useful. 

People who are stating a different opinion from yours, or discussing the accuracy of information, are not trying to fight you. This is what happens when you have people with varying experiences and varying backgrounds, in a hobby that has different ways of doing things. People have different opinions on how to do things. Also, people know things that others might not. I've been keeping saltwater animals for almost a decade now, albeit with a break in keeping (though not in reading!) for a couple years, and I'm still learning things. 

Anyway, OP, transferring things to a new tank will transfer the dinos. But there are dinos in many reef tanks, and they never cause a problem. If you can keep nutrients up, they can't get a proper foothold. Transferring to a new tank and then keeping the nutrients nice and high (as high as the corals can take) may be a good route. Yes, you'll probably get some algae, but that's less of a problem. Snails and time will manage that. 

Then you can work on this tank. It should be entirely salvageable. If the bryopsis is still around, there's a medication, fluconazole? I forget the name, but it's an antifungal medication. It will kill your bryopsis without doing much to other algaes or anything else in the tank. It's one of the few chemical solutions I'm inclined to suggest, and that's because it doesn't hurt anything but the bryopsis. It will eventually kill other algaes, but in much less time than it takes to kill the bryopsis. 

If nothing is in this tank except rock and algae, you have plenty of room to experiment. Hell, drive the nutrients up way, way too high, and see if you can get an algae bloom to overwhelm the dinos. Hair algae everywhere looks bad, but is much easier to fix than dinos. An algae bloom caused by too many nutrients and not enough snails can easily enough be fixed, albeit in some amount of time, with less nutrients and more snails. 

• Like 4
makingfilms

phosphate was at .08 

nitrate at 2 

eveything has continued to recover slowly. It isn't Dino as I said previously it has been confirmed under the microscope.  I was wrong. I truly believe reef roids started it and chemiclean and reef flux made it way worse causing some sort of imbalance. 4 days Lights out, reduced lighting and manual removal has helped. Coral dips seem to have helped turn the tide. 

TerraIncognita
26 minutes ago, makingfilms said:

phosphate was at .08 

nitrate at 2 

eveything has continued to recover slowly. It isn't Dino as I said previously it has been confirmed under the microscope.  I was wrong. I truly believe reef roids started it and chemiclean and reef flux made it way worse causing some sort of imbalance. 4 days Lights out, reduced lighting and manual removal has helped. Coral dips seem to have helped turn the tide. 

We’d still love photos lol. Even if it’s unsightly always is good for everyone to see when giving advice.

try a FTS at least.

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, makingfilms said:

phosphate was at .08 

nitrate at 2 

I get a brown dusting of diatoms from reef roids so I no longer feed it. I feed heavily so many other things without issue though... even masstick which comes powdered yet no issues. Reef roids does make corals open up like crazy though, must be very potent. 

You can beat this with regular maintenance and time. The tank will find balance again. Chemiclean and reeflux are antibiotics which likely effect good bacteria as well so they come with risks too.

Be sure to not let your sand bed turn into a cloudy debris mess either. 

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I get a brown dusting of diatoms from reef roids so I no longer feed it. I feed heavily so many other things without issue though... even masstick which comes powdered yet no issues. Reef roids does make corals open up like crazy though, must be very potent. 

You can beat this with regular maintenance and time. The tank will find balance again. Chemiclean and reeflux are antibiotics which likely effect good bacteria as well so they come with risks too.

Be sure to not let your sand bed turn into a cloudy debris mess either. 

I get a brownish dusting from reef roids if i use it too much.

1 - 2 x a week lightly seems to be ok but if i over do it, i get the dusting.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I get a brown dusting of diatoms from reef roids so I no longer feed it.

4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I get a brownish dusting from reef roids if i use it too much.

I just ordered some reef Roids... I’ll be sure to underfed, are you following normal dosage on the box? 

TerraIncognita
56 minutes ago, Ash1176 said:

I just ordered some reef Roids... I’ll be sure to underfed, are you following normal dosage on the box? 

I don’t even follow it.

i only do it every 3 days.

i also feed every other day a frozen mix in my main tank. So I do

Mon - Feed Reef Frenzy

Tue - Nothing

Wed - Reef Roids w/ feeding time and I normally feed a little less Reef frenzy.

thur - nothing

Fri - Reef Frenzy Mix

Sat - Nothing

Sun - Reef Roids & Frenzy

then next Monday id skip feeding etc.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Ash1176 said:

I don't. I add a pinch to water.

I most recently started using red sea energy a+ and i only do 1/2 the dose every other day. 

Its always best to start off with less the recommended amounts because most of this stuff is designed for large tanks not nano/pico

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
TerraIncognita
4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I don't. I add a pinch to water.

I most recently started using red sea energy a+ and i only do 1/2 the dose every other day. 

Its always best to start off with less the recommended amounts because most of this stuff is designed for large tanks not nano/pico

Yes they’re testing them in systems with much larger dilutions.

i also just add a sprinkle.

i actually use the little white cover that’s inside the lid, to scoop and pick up just a tiny amount, And I’ll put literally a dash of it in.

image.jpg

the dollar is so I can snort it after 😂😂 jk

3 hours ago, mcarroll said:

This post is still making me laugh out loud.  THANK YOU!  

(Great movie!)

Actually I want to watch that movie again when I posted it 🙂 It shows up on Netflix every so often.

• Like 4