Pod Your Reef

Suggest a return pump..

Reefkid88

I have a tank that is sumped with 1/2" pvc,on the return I have 2 45's and 4 90's,with about 4-5' of vertical pipe ending in a VCA RFG. 

I would like about 200gph in my display so I don't have to use a wave maker. What gph would you guys suggest ? Maybe 300-400gph ? 

mitten_reef

both sicce and tunze published their pump curves (flow rates against various head height) in their product info/manual/brochure.  You should be able to decipher what pump size is needed for 5'-6' head. I'm not sure how to account for the bends.  Still, it won't hurt to oversize a bit, and use the intake strainer adjustment to dial it down if you need to.  

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I have a tank that is sumped with 1/2" pvc,on the return I have 2 45's and 4 90's,with about 4-5' of vertical pipe ending in a VCA RFG. 

I would like about 200gph in my display so I don't have to use a wave maker. What gph would you guys suggest ? Maybe 300-400gph ? 

I think you'll need something more in the 500-600gph range to get 200gph at that head height with 1/2" pipe and RFG. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

@5*Chris @mitten_reef I may go ahead and just order a Jebao DCS2000,which is the conversion is right rhat is just over 500gph. If I can find a used Mighty Jet I may use one of those. 

I use a Jebao DCP 3500 and love it. If you plan on getting it on Amazon and if it will fit, the DCP 2500 is only like a dollar more than the DCS 2000. 

3 hours ago, 5*Chris said:

I use a Jebao DCP 3500 and love it. If you plan on getting it on Amazon and if it will fit, the DCP 2500 is only like a dollar more than the DCS 2000. 

I will have to look into that. My sump is a deepbluesea 2g betta tank 12"x6"x6" so I will have to find something smallish. The 2500 MAY fit. I'll have to do some research. 

• Like 1

I used Taam Rio’s for years, then someone gave me a Danner Supreme. That pumps quality and water movement, just  blows the Rio’s away. I did ruin an impeller on one on their pumps from cleaning with Vinegar. I only use Citric Acid now. I have Four of their pumps. Smallest is the Danner #2 for transferring water for my water changes. Largest is the Danner #12, which is my return pump. 

On 7/16/2020 at 11:28 AM, Reefkid88 said:

My guess is that you'll want a wavemaker/flow pump regardless...a Tunze Nanostream is where I'd start for that.

For the return pump, at 200 GPH, the fittings and length you stated probably won't have a significant effect, even at only 1/2" on the plumbing.

Off the cuff, you can see from the ratings and charts on these QuietOne pumps that the Model 2200 would be the way to go.

Quite One 1200 Quite One 2200 3000 4000
quite one aquarium 1200 and 2200

You can plug your specifics into this friction-loss calculator to see if your plumbing would change anything:

http://www.freecalc.com/fric.htm

I filled it our for you, rounded the plumbing length up to 6 feet, and got this:

Liquid Friction Pressure Loss

Pressure Loss (psi):  0.45   Head Loss (ft):  1
Line Number:   
Date:  7/22/2020
Nominal Pipe Size:  0.5
Pipe Schedule:  SCH 40 
Flow Rate (gpm):  3.3
Viscosity (cP):  1
Specific Gravity (water=1):  1.025
Temperature (F):  79
Pipe Roughness (ft):  0.000016
Actual Pipe ID (in.):  0.622
Fluid Velocity (ft/sec):  3.49
Reynolds Number:  17198
Flow Region:  Turbulent
Friction Factor:  0.027
Overall K:  5.34

Piping Length (ft):   6
Short Radius Elbows:  2
45 degree Elbows :  2
Tee Flow Through:  1

"Head Loss: 1" means that you add one foot onto the physical head height for calculating which pump to use.

So on the chart, look up "6 feet" or the next highest mark, instead of looking up your actual height, which you said was "4-5 feet".

BTW, head height is from the top of the water level in the sump to the top of the tank/plumbing system....not from the bottom of the sump or from the pump to the top.  (...which is the plumbing length...not the head height.)

Make sense?

(Those pumps are very inexpensive, have a great warranty and run VERY quiet....as quiet as anything else out there.)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WilliamBowman said:

Cobalt Aquatics Multi-Purpose Powerhead is a very quality powerhead, the mounting system is very good and it runs nice and quiet. I've owned a lot of powerheads over the 5 years I've had aquariums and this is the best buy one I've had.

Awesome suggestion but would not be nearly enough gph that I would need. 

• Like 1