SaltCritters.com

Zoanthids- should I be afraid to have them?

Gabrielle1124

Gabrielle1124

Hi, I’m new to the reef aquarium hobby. I have a 20 gallon nano tank set up; it’s been set up for almost a month. I’ve got blue legged hermit crabs, a giant turbo snail, a banded coral shrimp and I just purchased my first coral frag which is a Duncan coral! I’m trying to decide what coral to get next- so many decisions to make! I’m interested in Zoanthids but I’ve read and heard that they have toxins in them. I’m just wondering how big of a deal this is- I know about using protective wear when handling them. I guess what I’m asking is- is it worth dealing with? Also if you have any recommendations for beginner corals for a nano; I’d love to hear them too :) 

Don't eat them or inject them or boil them or put them in your eye.

Otherwise it's fine... The ugly brown palys have a lot more toxin in them and many colorful zoas don't have much at all.

Zoas are popular and some collect many varieties and we don't see people dropping dead or anything. The stories are mostly from people who boiled live rock with zoas on them.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
Gabrielle1124

Thanks! Can you have different kinds of Zoas in the same tank? 

4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Otherwise it's fine... The ugly brown palys have a lot more toxin in them and many colorful zoas don't have much at all.

Zoas are popular and some collect many varieties and we don't see people dropping dead or anything. The stories are mostly from people who boiled live rock with zoas ok them.

NoOneLikesADryTang
10 minutes ago, Gabrielle1124 said:

Thanks! Can you have different kinds of Zoas in the same tank? 

Absolutely. I probably have 75 different zoas in my tank. There’s nothing to be afraid of with them. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

This is great advice for just about every coral, haha 

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Just try not to squeeze them and you should be A okay :wink:

zoas/palys, mushrooms, and leathers are all good beginner corals. Feel free to post a picture or two!

Thrassian Atoll

I can’t say I have ever heard of somebody actually getting sick from zoas.  I think a certain type of paly maybe, but not zoas.

27 minutes ago, Gabrielle1124 said:

Thanks for the info everyone! I think a zoa is going to be my next coral frag! Does anyone have any favorites??

Rastas are a must have for every zoa tank

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Frozen_Reef said:

Rastas are a must have for every zoa tank

I agree! Cheapish (depending on your LFS) and look amazing once grown out

15 hours ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

I am still a big fan of Utter Chaos.  Old school.

I’m Picking up a 5 polyp frag for $20 next week I think

• Like 3