Pod Your Reef

RODI help

Gill11

Hi I plan on getting a 20 G cube tank as DT and I already have a 14 G and a 10 G tank from my freshwater days to have as a fish and coral quarantine tank.
One of the main basic things seems to be ensuring great quality water .
My local city water is very hard , 24-34 grain and the water quality report seems to suggest that there is slightly high radium level
I was wanting some help in choosing an RODI system that I could use both for the hobby (I plan in the beginning to have all 3 tanks going simultaneously ) and as an additional source of drinking water and maybe save on the culligan refills

Thanks

agree with spectrapure. easy to use no frill RODI unit quick production in my opinion. I get about 2.5 gallons an hour at 55ppi plus the ratio is 1 gallon clean water to 3 gallons dirty which is pretty low. Little pricer then the BRS ones but worth it. 

• Like 1

+1 to spectrapure. However, you're actually not supposed to drink a lot of RODI on a regular basis. It has no minerals (and other stuff), which your body needs. It doesn't hurt to drink it sometimes, or mix with regular tap water.

• Like 1

You can just T off before the DI part for drinking water. That is what I do.

Full RODI water tastes gross.

22 minutes ago, yoshii said:

+1 to spectrapure. However, you're actually not supposed to drink a lot of RODI on a regular basis. It has no minerals (and other stuff), which your body needs. It doesn't hurt to drink it sometimes, or mix with regular tap water.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Gill11 said:

Thanks guys appreciate it , any specific model from spectrapure ???

I think I’ll call them and ask if they have a system which does both RODI for aquarium etc and can also produce drinking water , don’t mind paying extra for it , will spin it to the budget master at home as getting safe drinking water for the kids , hehehehe

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Gill11 said:

I think I’ll call them and ask if they have a system which does both RODI for aquarium etc and can also produce drinking water , don’t mind paying extra for it , will spin it to the budget master at home as getting safe drinking water for the kids , hehehehe

Not sure if they do although maybe they could add the parts to the order.

You just need a T that has a valve in it...you could also add a pressure tank I suppose too....to store RO.

No idea why it is 20 dollars though...might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere..

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-way-ball-valve-with-john-guest-1-4-push-connect.html

Keep in mind...with drinking systems you may need to dissasemble and clean or change filters more often....ykno since you are drinking it and all 🙂

Basically entails disconnecting the membrane and removing filters and adding bleach to flush through the system on the RO side.

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
51 minutes ago, Gill11 said:

I would definitely call and talk to them about it... If Daniel is around, he's the expert there. I'd ask to talk to him, if at all possible. I have a 5 stage Spectrapue, and am very happy with it. 

• Like 2

as far as price is concerned the BRS units seem to be much cheaper. How would the spectrapure Mega MaxCap® 5 Stage Manual Flush RO/DI  compare to the BRS 7 stage RO/DI since they are the same price.  Because the next step up , the spectrapure unit with the pump and an automatic flush is 700$  which is 2 times the price 

5 stages aren't better than 4 any more 7 stages are better than 5. And if 7 were better, then I'd have a 9 stage.  😈

What is best really depends on what you need.  

A well-implemented 3-stage (profiler, carbon, RO) with a DI "post filter" is enough for "most people".  

Anecdote:  My system is set up to run dual carbon filters (prefilter, carbon, carbon, RO) with a DI post filter just to assure dechlorinated water for the membrane....I admit that I bought it used in that configuration though...I don't think our chlorine levels are really all that high in this area, so it's probably overkill.

If I were buying today, I think it would be a Spectrapure or Air,Water,Ice.  AquaFX too, but they aren't one of the lesser expensive options.

• Like 1

(Maybe worth pointing out that Spectrapure is in Arizona where they have truly sh*tty water with four SOLID digits of TDS in the water.  So their systems are built somewhat with that water in mind.  Florida, where AquaFX is located, instead of being known for high TDS, is known for having fart water.  Mmmm.  I'd guess dealing with that is their strong suit.  Air Water Ice is in Ohio (I think) who has pretty plain aquifer water or surface water in most places.  Dealing with chemical residues is probably their focus, if anything.)

• Like 1
On 6/18/2020 at 11:36 AM, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I would definitely call and talk to them about it... If Daniel is around, he's the expert there. I'd ask to talk to him, if at all possible. I have a 5 stage Spectrapue, and am very happy with it. 

Daniel is a tech but yes knows his shit.............talked with him a few times..........Lola is the sales rep and she is great also...........

Love the stuff from Spectrapure............ I run one of there 3 stage CPISD or something like that its a 90 per day..............just swapped filters and added 2 more stages................new membrane also and is putting out 0 TDS............hell TDS is 100 plus coming in............

Good luck on your choice............

• Like 1

Thanks guys it’s always the balance of price vs function but will see what the spectrapure guys say about my situation , I’ve got all the relevant water info from our city water dept website . Also I guess the advantage of that more expensive spectrapure is that it has a built in pump so no worries about incoming water pressure and has auto flush so might make life easier 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
5 minutes ago, Gill11 said:

Thanks guys it’s always the balance of price vs function but will see what the spectrapure guys say about my situation , I’ve got all the relevant water info from our city water dept website . Also I guess the advantage of that more expensive spectrapure is that it has a built in pump so no worries about incoming water pressure and has auto flush so might make life easier 

Another positive about the auto flush, is it will make your filters last longer. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Gill11 said:

4 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Another positive about the auto flush, is it will make your filters last longer. 

The auto flush helps with the life of the membrane. I run the flush on mine every time I use it.......... I think I am on maybe 300 gallons on the new filters and everything is reading 0 so far.........

2 hours ago, spectra said:

The auto flush helps with the life of the membrane. I run the flush on mine every time I use it.......... I think I am on maybe 300 gallons on the new filters and everything is reading 0 so far.........

You have the spectrapure ?? So it seems to be doing well 

NoOneLikesADryTang

I think we’re around 450 gallons on our 5 stage spectrapure, with Arizona water, tds still showing zero. I went with a cheaper unit first, and regret it. I can’t speak highly enough of the spectrapure units. 

With that being said, if your water isn’t bad to start with, you’d probably be ok with a cheaper unit. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Gill11 said:

You have the spectrapure ?? So it seems to be doing well 

Yes have been running one since 2016 or so. I figure why go cheap on something that does so much. Its kind if like the people who complain that some salt is expensive but dont bat an eye at spending 200 on a coral............

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...