ReefCleaners.org

Alternative to Aqueon Quietflow 600 for Fluval Spec V?

rnd4

We're in the process of switching our Fluval Spec V from a planted freshwater tank to a little saltwater tank. We're going to use an InTank Media Rack, but we'd also like to upgrade the stock pump. Unfortunately, it seems like we're a bit late to the party for finding an Aqueon Quietflow 600 pump. Does anyone know of any viable alternative pumps that will fit in the Spec V? 

The only 2 I know of that fit with higher gph but still need mods to fit are the aqueon 600 and mini jet 606.

It's  1 of the pains in the but with the fluval back chambers.

It looks like the chamber is 1 15/16" x 2 1/8", so I'd be looking for a pump with a footprint at least slightly smaller than that (with height not much of a concern).  

• Like 1

There aren't a lot of options for upgrading the pump in this tank. I searched everywhere when switching like to sw.

it was limited to amazon no name pumps, the mini jet 606, and the aqueon. Both the mini jet and aqueon still need a mod to fit in there and no flow control due to the mod.

You might want to look and see if sicce or eheim have one that will fit.

Thanks, yeah, I've been running into dead ends, too. I think I'll just pop off the nozzle on the display side and see how it goes for a bit while I continue my search.

22 minutes ago, rnd4 said:

Thanks, yeah, I've been running into dead ends, too. I think I'll just pop off the nozzle on the display side and see how it goes for a bit while I continue my search.

The issue is the gph on the stock pump is 80 which is really low for sw.

You have to be careful when removing the nozzle as it holds the return hose to the hole, without the nozzle, it may release and send water everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

On every other site they have shown discontinued for over a yr(why I couldn't get one) 

So then only cobalt sells them directly now to most likely get rid of old stock.

I bought a 404 on Amazon about 2 months ago 

27 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

I bought a 404 on Amazon about 2 months ago 

Ya, no longer available on Amazon, BRS, Marine Depot.

The only place is directly from Cobalt

3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Ya, no longer available on Amazon, BRS, Marine Depot.

The only place is directly from Cobalt

BRS is the only one that says discontinued.  Which could also mean they just stopped carrying the brand or product. 

MD says temporarily out of stock 

I'm sure they will be back once all of this craziness is over as they are very popular. I guess we will see. 

37 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

BRS is the only one that says discontinued.  Which could also mean they just stopped carrying the brand or product. 

MD says temporarily out of stock 

I'm sure they will be back once all of this craziness is over as they are very popular. I guess we will see. 

This happened last year. Most stores listed as discontinued. Many ppl were looking for it and couldn't get one.

I couldn't find one 2 yrs ago when I converted my spec so i used the aqueon which is discontinued as well now.

On 6/8/2020 at 8:29 PM, Clown79 said:

This happened last year. Most stores listed as discontinued. Many ppl were looking for it and couldn't get one.

I couldn't find one 2 yrs ago when I converted my spec so i used the aqueon which is discontinued as well now.

Some good news From this morning 

Screenshot_20200612-084455_Facebook.thumb.jpg.eeb8ab2f089aa02bdedfa4178227a900.jpg

Have you looked at TAAM Rio Pumps? Just don’t ever put their pumps in a position that they will cavitate or run dry. They go fast when under those circumstances. 

On 6/8/2020 at 11:21 AM, rnd4 said:

It looks like the chamber is 1 15/16" x 2 1/8", so I'd be looking for a pump with a footprint at least slightly smaller than that (with height not much of a concern).  

From reading it looks like the old pump was 84-159 GPH.

• Hydor's Pico EvoMag looks like it could be a candidate....obviously TINY and the flow range is correct, but can't confirm the dimensions....again you may have more luck:
    https://www.hydor.com/en/pico-evomag/

(That bit about running dry is true for pumps generally, BTW...not specific to Rio's.  Unless the pump maker explicitly claims that a pump can run dry, it should absolutely be prevented from happening.  One thing to NOT do is to install an elbow on the pumps intake so that it can draw water down to a lower level.  In general, most pumps can't pump out enough water to run totally dry in their factory config....but an elbow will allow it to draw the water level to below the impeller...allowing it to run totally dry as soon as flow stops.  By comparison, my cheap ATO pump used to run half-submerged all the time....loud, but not catastrophic....it's a good alarm to know when the ATO needs refilling. 😉)

Thanks for all the help! I'll have to dig deeper into all this great information. For now, my tank is cycling with just the stock pump, so the clock is ticking!

• Like 1
On 6/12/2020 at 2:42 PM, mcarroll said:

From reading it looks like the old pump was 84-159 GPH.

• Hydor's Pico EvoMag looks like it could be a candidate....obviously TINY and the flow range is correct, but can't confirm the dimensions....again you may have more luck:
    https://www.hydor.com/en/pico-evomag/

(That bit about running dry is true for pumps generally, BTW...not specific to Rio's.  Unless the pump maker explicitly claims that a pump can run dry, it should absolutely be prevented from happening.  One thing to NOT do is to install an elbow on the pumps intake so that it can draw water down to a lower level.  In general, most pumps can't pump out enough water to run totally dry in their factory config....but an elbow will allow it to draw the water level to below the impeller...allowing it to run totally dry as soon as flow stops.  By comparison, my cheap ATO pump used to run half-submerged all the time....loud, but not catastrophic....it's a good alarm to know when the ATO needs refilling. 😉)

The hydor centrifugal pump they have is tiny and would fit but 1 major draw back, it comes with this huge plastic plate that needs attaching in order to suction it in place.

Really stupid design and defeats the purpose of a tiny pump.

• Like 1

Thanks for the measurements! This was one that has been sitting in my cart online for a week now!

3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Hydor pico

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...