Coral Vue Hydros

need help with Iodine test kit

sadie

I got the Salifert Iodine test kit.  It tests for both Combined iodate and Iodine  and also for Iodide.   My combined iodate & Iodine was <0.03 and my Iodide was 0,01

I'm not sure what any of this means.  I read it, but had a hard time understanding what it was saying between all the dates, dines and dides.  I did each test 3x and they all came out the same.

Are these reading low, normal or high?

Thanks

I was reading it is important for RFAs which I just got for the first time and I am getting more tomorrow. I also read it helps with the production of skeletons in LPS and molting crabs a bunch of stuff which sounds important.  So I was wondering what mine was to make sure I had enough for everything I have added to my tank recently.

But the test in kinda confusing and after all my reading, I don't know what to  make of my results. 

• Like 1

I had a quick google and there are several places that say the ideal amount is 0.06ppm (iodine), so I would suggest that you are low. 

What does your salt mix at out of interest?

I have no idea about dosing FYI just thinking aloud

These tests for these parameters are known to be inaccurate.

I'd hazard a guess that 95% of hobbyists don't test for these nor dose(because its dangerous to dose these parameters)

Rfa's are actually really easy to keep requiring pretty much waterchanges.

Waterchanges replenish things like iodide

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, sadie said:

LOL, wrong thread, how do I move this to my tank journal?  I guess I could post it over there.  😁

Well everything looks great to me, I'm jealous of anyone that has RFAs. Like rocking horse shite over here

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

If you're keeping up on your water changes, you more than likely won't need to dose iodine/iodide. I have a ton of my RFA 17 gallon tank, and only occasionally need to dose it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1