Cultivated Reef

unknown long white tubeless worms

nanos_only

nanos_only

Hello there! Long time lurker and first time posting, I found these two long white worms in my tank and was wondering if they're harmful or harmless. They're about 5/6 inches long and after looking through the ID threads I couldn't figure out what these were.

some tank details, 10 gallon has been up for about a month and a half now, last new additions were fish two weeks ago, and I used mostly dry rock with a piece of lr from the lfs to start it up

Thank you!

IMG_8720.jpeg

IMG_8718.jpeg

No clue. What do they act like? Can you zoom in and see if either end has visible mouthparts? 

What fish did you add, and at what sizes? They look a little like a generic intestinal parasite, but that'd have to be a decent-sized fish to bring those in.

nanos_only

I only found the two and had never seen them before today, one was just sticking to the glass and the other was on the rocks. No visible mouth parts on either side.

The biggest fish I added was a ~ 2" rainfords goby, the other guys are 2 hi fin gobies and a neon goby, all of which seem too small to be carrying such large worms but also I honestly wouldnt know

• 2 weeks later...
nanos_only

Took a while but I figured it out in case anyone else sees these, they're cerith snail eggs! not worms at all, i only realized when i saw them again coming out of a snails butt on a rock, these must have gotten loose

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

I don't think those are cerith eggs. They look too smooth to be an egg string. If you saw them coming out of a snail, I'd suspect they're a snail parasite. 

• Wow 1
nanos_only

hmm I figured cerith eggs because I saw mine laying strands of eggs like these:

image.png.f96afe87eea6e3fac5ad8cf627010807.png

and when one of my gobies started picking it came loose and looked similar to the 'worms', I guess if I see them free floating again I'll have to take a closer look and see if it looks like there's eggs inside or actually worms

• Like 1

I could be wrong. It's just that, in the first pictures, it looks like a solid, smooth tube. Egg strands aren't solid and smooth, but worms are. 

• Like 1

If you look at the picture of it on the glass by the power head, you can make out the wave pattern of the egg laying on that last bit of it that is attached. it looks as if it laid them in a too high flow of an area if they are eggs.

Can you take a picture with light shining through them? Do they move on their own? Have you touched them with anything?