ReefCleaners.org

Help! Sump, HOB Refugium, or Modded AC?

aclman88

Looking for a little advice for my next tank setup.  I have a 20 gallon high I would like to eventually convert to a reef tank, but I am unsure of how to go about setting up filtration.  It will be a mixed reef (minimal SPS, heavy LPS) and my ideal stocking list would be a clown pair, watchman goby/pistol shrimp combo, and a royal gramma or possibly a firefish.

I have narrowed down my options to the following (but I am open to suggestions):

- 5.5 Gallon Aqueon Modified into a sump. A ten gallon would be ideal but it won't fit under the stand, which I do not intend on replacing or changing.  I would most likely get glass cut or use a precut acrylic assembly from eBay or the likes (see attached pic).  This would require me to drill the tank and add an overflow.  I am not willing to use a syphon overflow due to the greater likelihood of failure or flooding.  I was thinking an eshopps overflow would be best, something like the Model S or the Model L.  I do not plan on running skimmer, and would like the sump mostly to hide equipment and set up a refugium.  I would also put a smaller Aquaclear hanging on the side to run chemical media.  I am leaning towards sump since I have never run one and would like to try it.  It would also simplify maintenance, but I am not sure that a 5.5 would be sufficient.

- HOB Refugium, such as the the CPR Aquafuge, since this would also allow me to hide equipment and the benefit of not drilling the tank or adding additional plumbing while still adding about 3 gallons of water volume to the tank.

- Modded Ac 110.  This would be the cheapest option, but would be a little on the ugly side compared to the other two.  It would still allow me to hide equipment and set up a refugium.

My requirements are as follows:

•  First and foremost it must be silent.  This is in my living room next to the couch and I do not want to hear loud splashing or equipment running.
  • It should add volume while allowing me to have a refugium for pods and also hide my heater.
  • I would like to keep the price around $200 if possible.  I have no issue buying anything mentioned above use

Any advice about the three setups mentioned, or if you have other options, would one appreciated.

Phantomwerkz

I just started up a 29gal standard and originally was looking to go with a modded AC110. On the suggestion of a member here (need to see whom again), it was suggested to look into the Tidal HOBs. I ended up going with the Tidal110. It's not silent, but it is pretty quiet (I'd have to run something else next to it for comparison) but the sound of the water flowing out is more noticeable. It's pretty large and you might be able to modify it to house a heater (it does have an optional clip to hold a heater in tank) though for my setup I'm currently running twin in-tank heater setup. So far I'm just under a month in but I'm happy with the current setup so far.

12 minutes ago, Phantomwerkz said:

I just started up a 29gal standard and originally was looking to go with a modded AC110. On the suggestion of a member here (need to see whom again), it was suggested to look into the Tidal HOBs. I ended up going with the Tidal110. It's not silent, but it is pretty quiet (I'd have to run something else next to it for comparison) but the sound of the water flowing out is more noticeable. It's pretty large and you might be able to modify it to house a heater (it does have an optional clip to hold a heater in tank) though for my setup I'm currently running twin in-tank heater setup. So far I'm just under a month in but I'm happy with the current setup so far.

Thanks!  Are you running chaeto in the filter or is it just setup standard?  My guess is it would be @Clown79, she is a big advocate of those filters, and I will admit they are pretty awesome.  I would have put one on my pico but it just didn't quite fit.

Phantomwerkz
19 minutes ago, aclman88 said:

Thanks!  Are you running chaeto in the filter or is it just setup standard?  My guess is it would be @Clown79, she is a big advocate of those filters, and I will admit they are pretty awesome.  I would have put one on my pico but it just didn't quite fit.

I was going to say @Clown79 but I wasn't sure... pretty sure it was though. There were a few others as well. Currently with the fresh startup I'm only running the stock foam and media bag. I'm not exactly sure what my plan is for down the road just yet.

I like the black material as it helps blend in with my black background. If there was one complaint, it's the blue adjustment knob (and heater clip) which stand out big time. Not a huge issue and maybe it will be a non-issue as my tank matures.

I had pretty much all of the same thoughts and concerns as you in terms of the three setups. I decided to try and simplify and that's why I chose HOB. Eventually I'll have a new stand with built in hood (at least that's the plan) which will hide everything outside of the tank. Currently though, it still hides fairly well based on the Current USA light setup.

It was me😊

I love the Tidal. Out of the numerous hob's I've used, it was the best.

Huge basket and filter area that someone could get creative with.

Loved it was black, completely blended with my back ground. The blue part wasn't noticeable in my tank.

I found the filter to be very quiet. I couldn't hear the water run which I loved. 

Really liked the surface skimmer and even the fully controllable flow.

I have never sumped a tank so I am not really helpful in that area

• Like 1
On 4/23/2020 at 1:39 PM, aclman88 said:

I have a 20 gallon high I would like to eventually convert to a reef tank, but I am unsure of how to go about setting up filtration.

Add this and you're done:

Comline® Reefpack 100

Could also just run a skimmer and no filter unit:

Comline® DOC Skimmer 9001

There are larger models you can consider too...possibly better for your situation as well:

Comline® Reefpack 250

That filter unit on the Reefpack 250 can hide your heater and your ATO sensor....a very nice set of features for turning your 20 into an "all in one".

Of course the larger skimmer is available separately as well:

Comline® DOC Skimmer 9004
On 4/23/2020 at 1:39 PM, aclman88 said:

I would like to keep the price around $200 if possible.

The larger Reefpack is the most expensive option I listed, and goes for $219.

I'd say to keep it simple and go with one of these options.

• Like 1