Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval Sea Marine Spectrum vs. Orbit Marine IC Loop LED

markertk

I am looking to upgrade my light on my Fluval Evo V to something that is controllable. Im debating between the Fluval Sea Marine Spectrum and the Orbit Marine IC Loop. I am likely only looking to keep softies and some LPS corals. I like that the Fluval Sea system has an app that makes it easy to use.

Here are links to the two that I am looking at.

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/sea-marine-15-24-spectrum-bluetooth-led-22-watt-fluval/

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/orbit-marine-18-24-ic-loop-led-current-usa/

Or should I just get a used AI prime HD? 

Thanks for your thoughts.

NoOneLikesADryTang

I haven't ever used the the fluval, but I have had the current... I really liked the sleek look of the light, and it's shade of blue was very appealing to my eyes. However, it's not a very powerful light - in my experience, it maintained life, but didn't see much growth. 

I would 100% go with the prime, if it was me. I've got 26HD's now, and I love them (admittedly, they are overkill - but I love that I've got the flexibility to get any coral I want, and that I can use them on a larger tank, if it ever comes along). 

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 current 1  120° and 2 90° and seen nice

I have a 22 gallons long witch works great I had a radion 15 but all those lights produce a square footprint witch I dont have I have a rectangular .

That's one of the reason I like those. 

15871735340424505207732248077827.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 1:33 PM, markertk said:

Fluval Evo V

Assuming "V" indicates "5 gallons", but that doesn't tell me what the dimensions of this tank are.   Best to include relevant details like this (or at least a picture) to get help from the most people possible rather than only from folks who already know this tank.  👍

But just knowing that much tells me that it's very likely that a Prime is too much light and the strip lights you mentioned may not fit – too long.

A Kessil A80 might be a better bet vs the AI....but we really need to know the tank dimensions to give you a proper recommendation.

For now I'm guessing that these are your dimensions:

20.5 x 11.6 x 7.5"
(52 x 29.5 x 19 cm)

If the tank is that long and that short, then a single Current USA Orbit Marine (not Pro, not IC) would do the trick.  

A single spotlight would not do a good job...but two Kessil A80's would do it if you prefer the spotlight look.  (It's personal preference....corals won't really care.)

If you go with the strips, mount it/them light right on the rim of the tank and your corals will be <6" from the light.  PAR >120 (or >6,000 lux)

Model #4100 should be the correct light.  18-24" in length.  Adding a second Orbit Marine is probably possible too.  

Just know that "more" is not a requirement for most corals...generally clams are the only thing that require higher light levels.

https://current-usa.com/orbit-marine-led/

image.png.b398eaf9a58ea60a5e9143f4f45145e8.png

If you did want to have more light than that then adding on one or more of Curren's Truelumen Pro strips would be the way to go since they all have the 120º wide-angle lenses that will be best for this shallow of a tank.  

https://current-usa.com/truelumen-pro-led-retrofits/

image.thumb.png.3419ae116d570c0099bc7bd39db37d3e.png

The "Marine Fusion" model would add >100 PAR per strip onto the >120 PAR you're already getting from the Orbit.

As long as you can fit them (only 12" and 24" are available for your tank...non-adjustable), then just use the Truelumen Pro strips for additional "peak lighting" for about 4 hours in the middle of the tank's daytime program.  Use the Orbit for main lighting and sunrise/sunset effects.

If you wanted more of a color-adjustment or whatever else from these strips, then adding the 12,000K white or the 453nm Actinic Blue would also be valid options, adding about the same amount of PAR as the Marine Fusion while they are running.

Those Trulumen Pro strips are on sale, BTW.  $22 for the 12" version.

corresnake

I found the problem .

Because the mount and the lights are plastic the slide each other, so they move around i fixed the problem with adding a piece of 1/8 neoprene in between the lights and the mount that and upgrading the screws with heavy duty they don't move and hold in place..