Cultivated Reef

WTB: Micro Brittle Stars and Stomatella Snails

GTi

Murphs_Reef
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

I only really ever used them, mail order corals and Zoa marines. 

No way.. I been pissing about with Kraken Corals all this time as well 🤣 

refugium set phyto, reefsoup, stometella, mini brittle stars, caulerpa and rock rubble.  ,.................. £20👍🏼

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Grimes said:

No way.. I been pissing about with Kraken Corals all this time as well 🤣 

refugium set phyto, reefsoup, stometella, mini brittle stars, caulerpa and rock rubble.  ,.................. £20👍🏼

I need to get commission to that damn shop

• Haha 1

Oh, I'm jealous of that site. All those good critters. I have to remember to ask my LFS if they can find me some micro brittles- I know they have them all through their coral tanks, including some black ones. I bet they'd sell me some. 

You know, a lot of these nice detritivores wouldn't be hard to breed, in a dedicated setup. I wonder how much productivity I could get out of a 10gal tank with lots of rubble and a bit of sand, some macroalgae, and a bunch of stars and worms. With plenty of food and nothing to eat them, I bet they'd breed fast. 

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef
9 minutes ago, Tired said:

Oh, I'm jealous of that site. All those good critters. I have to remember to ask my LFS if they can find me some micro brittles- I know they have them all through their coral tanks, including some black ones. I bet they'd sell me some. 

You know, a lot of these nice detritivores wouldn't be hard to breed, in a dedicated setup. I wonder how much productivity I could get out of a 10gal tank with lots of rubble and a bit of sand, some macroalgae, and a bunch of stars and worms. With plenty of food and nothing to eat them, I bet they'd breed fast. 

Bet you could. It's odd that they aren't an easy sell for most LFS to be fair... 

Buy dry rock n fill it up... Special only £100 🤣 

Now you've got me seriously considering it! Oh, what the hell... I've got a 3gal tank sitting in the closet that I got at Goodwill. I bet I could get some going in there.

Murphs_Reef
15 minutes ago, Tired said:

Now you've got me seriously considering it! Oh, what the hell... I've got a 3gal tank sitting in the closet that I got at Goodwill. I bet I could get some going in there.

Do it

I am breeding them in my sump . The hardest part is getting them up to size to sell. They don't seem to grow super fast. I have lots of babies though.

• Like 1

Do you mind if I ask what you do to get them to breed? Do you just put them in there and make sure they get detritus? 

I'm trying to figure out the feasibility of a pico tank of micro brittles. Trouble is, I do plan to go to college some time this decade, and they'll only let me bring one aquarium. This would have to stay at home. My brother is willing to feed and water things once a week (I have houseplants and fancy cockroaches he'll be keeping happy), but I don't want to saddle him with water changes. 

I'm pretty sure a glass lid will take evap down to levels where topping up once a week will work fine. I know oxygen exchange is important, but I can't imagine a tank with nothing but micro brittles and some algae will suffocate if it has a mostly solid lid. Nitrate export, I imagine I could balance with macroalgae. Or maybe just hair algae, since this doesn't need to look pretty and there won't be any sessile things to get overwhelmed. Though I wonder if they would like the hair algae, or if they would get tangled. 

So mostly my question is whether they would do well being fed once a week, or if I have to figure out how to make an autofeeder dispense an absurdedly tiny amount of food every day. They should eat reef roids, right? And I know they'll eat detritus, but do they have any interest in algae? 

...guess I gotta call my LFS and ask if I can place a curbside order for a bunch of those cool black micro brittles they have running around. Ask how many they'll sell me for like $20. 

I just feed the tank and they get leftovers, they are in a fuge with live rock and macro. Some pest algae grows there, a little gha and a little cyano, I suck debris out once a month.

They make autofeeders that can dose even 1 pellet but it needs to be restocked every 1-2 weeks. https://www.amazon.com/Fish-Mate-F14-Aquarium-Feeder/dp/B000YK5W18/ref=zg_bs_2975462011_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DKDZ6KM63TAN39Q6X06K

I was talking more getting snails up to sellable size, not brittles. They seem to grow faster than snails. Water changes make them spawn. 

Brittle stars don't ship the best and the post is slow right now... so actually shipping them to a state that isn't nearby is a concern. 

• Recommended Discussions