ReefCleaners.org

WTB: Micro Brittle Stars and Stomatella Snails

GTi

Hi.

I'm hoping someone has some of these and can ship some to me.

I used to have both but over time they disappeared.

Priority mail (small flat rate?) should work and would be least hassle for the shipper as USPS will pick up with the regular mail delivery.

Let me know what you've got and cost.

I have a few Collonista snails if anyone is interested in a trade.

Thanks!

Thrassian Atoll

I don’t know why these aren’t actually available to buy anywhere.  The only place I know that sells micro brittles is IPSF and I don’t even count that because they are the tiny white ones and not the real micro black brittles.  I have never seen stamatellas for sale but a lot of people have them.  Kind of weird nobody sells these or other detrivores at least cheaper than IPSF.  

I found the micro stars on eBay but it's $16 for 6 plus $10 shipping! When I had them I was sending them out for the cost of shipping but I don't expect everyone to do that.  Maybe all the interest that generated contributed to the collapse of my population of stars!

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
41 minutes ago, GTi said:

I found the micro stars on eBay but it's $16 for 6 plus $10 shipping! When I had them I was sending them out for the cost of shipping but I don't expect everyone to do that.  Maybe all the interest that generated contributed to the collapse of my population of stars!

I would love to be able to buy black micro brittles, stomatellas, spaghetti worms, bristle worms maybe a couple peanut worms or something all in one place other than Indo Pacific Sea Farms.  I believe there used to be a website years ago that sold most of that stuff but they are long gone.  Crazy there isn’t a retailer now that most of what we can buy rock wise anymore is Marco rock.  Must not be much money in detrivores.  

Well, hope you find some.  If you come across any let me know.  I have tried to find some local without any luck. 

I think it’s a case of waiting for the right hobbyist to read the WTB. With people being at home more, maybe the time is now! 

• Like 1

I have been trying to cultivate a few things. The stars hide good though but I know I have many... maybe I should add a few bags of rubble ....I think they would take to that?

Cheato doesn't seem to stand a chance in my system for them to hide in. My more aggressive macros out compete it.

The stars I had loved the rubble especially the rocks with crevices. I’d think I’d picked them all off when removing a rock and then find a load more had crawled out later on.  

I have many stomella breeding, as well as trochus snails... I know I have many stars, just harder to find now since they hide from wrasse.... and working on strombus snails. 

I will add some rubble bags... see if I can catch stars that way. 

My guess is we don't see them offered because they are not worth the space, energy, or time to cultivate. Just look how much IPSF charges? I think I paid 70 something for my strombus from them.

I remember that a local coral place charged me a dollar per Collonista a number of years ago and I felt ripped off!  I guess it’s all relative.

Your best bet is to go to a lfs and check out their live rock.  Wait to see the arms pop out and break the rock into rubble to get them out.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 1 month later...

its a shame these aren't easier to find. i too have been on the hunt for some lately. i need something to help keep the sand in my nuvo10 stirred a bit. all my lfs keep getting in whelks instead of nassarius for some reason, so thats a no go. id be happy to buy some micro brittles off someone if willing to sell. 

Thrassian Atoll

Yeah, I am still looking for micro brittles and other detrivores.  Pretty crazy nobody sells anything except for IPSF.  

• Like 1
On 5/17/2020 at 9:50 PM, Thrassian Atoll said:

Yeah, I am still looking for micro brittles and other detrivores.  Pretty crazy nobody sells anything except for IPSF.  

thats the only place i could find after a ton of searching. i cant justify paying 35 bucks for 6 stars then paying 20-30 bucks on top of that for shipping 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
9 hours ago, nano_izzy said:

thats the only place i could find after a ton of searching. i cant justify paying 35 bucks for 6 stars then paying 20-30 bucks on top of that for shipping 

Yeah, their prices are crazy.  

• 2 months later...
coralline-adam
On 5/19/2020 at 7:04 AM, Thrassian Atoll said:

Yeah, their prices are crazy.  

I just ordered from IPSF and they are a bit pricey but the service and quality are really A+. A good chunk of the cost was the shipping ($30) and honestly I don't think they have a choice as they cannot use USPS due lack of reliablity from their location (Hawaii) to mainland USA.

• Like 2
coralline-adam

Oh totally forgot to mention that they included about 2x as many specimens as I ordered (like if you order 6 stars, they send 12) AND they even threw in a free softie frag! 👍 👍 👍 Check them out -- http://www.ipsf.com/index.html

Thrassian Atoll

I hate their choice selection on IPSF.  Like you can’t just buy what you want for the “bundle prices.”  It’s twice as much if you want certain things by themselves.  I wish they would just make everything single item cost.  Also, their micro brittles are super micro and white.  I am not sure why they don’t have quarter size black ones.

coralline-adam
17 hours ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

I hate their choice selection on IPSF.  Like you can’t just buy what you want for the “bundle prices.”  It’s twice as much if you want certain things by themselves.  I wish they would just make everything single item cost.  Also, their micro brittles are super micro and white.  I am not sure why they don’t have quarter size black ones.

Just order what items you want, you do not need to get a package. Alternatively, just email them directly and they will set up your order custom for you. 
I just ordered a couple of items and not any "package deal".
Yeah totally I was a little surprised at just how MICRO they are lol. I am happy to have them though. It would not hurt to have both the larger black microstars and these tiny ones from IPSF -- more biodiversity is more better 😉 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, coralline-adam said:

Just order what items you want, you do not need to get a package. Alternatively, just email them directly and they will set up your order custom for you. 
I just ordered a couple of items and not any "package deal".
Yeah totally I was a little surprised at just how MICRO they are lol. I am happy to have them though. It would not hurt to have both the larger black microstars and these tiny ones from IPSF -- more biodiversity is more better 😉 

Good to know - thanks!  I've dropped them a note. 🤞

• Like 1
On 7/31/2020 at 7:42 PM, coralline-adam said:

Oh totally forgot to mention that they included about 2x as many specimens as I ordered (like if you order 6 stars, they send 12) AND they even threw in a free softie frag! 👍 👍 👍 Check them out -- http://www.ipsf.com/index.html

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 5.48.01 PM.png

It's not really helpful right now that the USPS is so slow. I have been selling some stuff in eBay (not reef related) and priority has been unreliable and slowww at times. I am able to collect stars and some snails now but the stars for sure don't do well if the mail isn't on time. So now I am just waiting for all of this to be over and life to go back to normal.

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef
On 4/8/2020 at 10:38 PM, Ratvan said:

Shame you guys are not in the UK. Stomatella and Micro stars are pretty standard online clean up crew

Really..? You got example sites? That would be ace as I have a limited amount of critters 

• Recommended Discussions