Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Refugium for pods

markertk

I’m looking to keep a mandarin in my tank, but don’t really want to have to keep dosing my tank with pods. I have the idea of attaching a refugium to my tank just to grow pods in. My question is how big of a refugium would it take to grow enough pods to sustain a mandarin?

Would an in tank refugium like this work?

https://www.aquacave.com/small-citr2-in-tank-refugium-with-slots-clear-back-deluxe-with-pump.html

Or should I go with a hang on the back style like this?

https://www.aquacave.com/cpr-aquatic-aquafuge-2-hang-on-refugium-small.html?fee=1&fep=4661&gclid=CjwKCAjw4KD0BRBUEiwA7MFNTRxSdzHuKIvwVW2EMVkNlwo9a9PrW7bM2OOqArhjcgCW6UZCq380hxoC8s4QAvD_BwE

Thanks for your help.

Mandarins eat all day long.

You would need a decent refugium and even better, culturing your own pods so you can replenish the tank regularly.

This guy is extra salty
2 hours ago, markertk said:

I’m looking to keep a mandarin in my tank, but don’t really want to have to keep dosing my tank with pods. I have the idea of attaching a refugium to my tank just to grow pods in. My question is how big of a refugium would it take to grow enough pods to sustain a mandarin?

Would an in tank refugium like this work?

https://www.aquacave.com/small-citr2-in-tank-refugium-with-slots-clear-back-deluxe-with-pump.html

Or should I go with a hang on the back style like this?

https://www.aquacave.com/cpr-aquatic-aquafuge-2-hang-on-refugium-small.html?fee=1&fep=4661&gclid=CjwKCAjw4KD0BRBUEiwA7MFNTRxSdzHuKIvwVW2EMVkNlwo9a9PrW7bM2OOqArhjcgCW6UZCq380hxoC8s4QAvD_BwE

Thanks for your help.

first things first 

how big is your tank and what do you have for filtration?

I’m wanting to put it in a Fluval Evo V. I have the stock filtration on it. A filter sponge with carbon and bio pearls. I have another tank (a RSM C-250) up and running that I can move it to if it appears to be not doing well, and if it doesn’t do well there I’d be prepared to return it to the store.

I’m just looking for refugium size recommendations for keeping one alive. 

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Mandarins eat all day long.

You would need a decent refugium and even better, culturing your own pods so you can replenish the tank regularly.

Clown can you tell me the difference between having a refugium and culturing my own? I know the process behind both. I guess my question is would I not get the same growth of pods in a refugium that I would culturing my own?

My thoughts are if I have a gallon container growing pods, why would I not get the same amount of pods out of a gallon size refugium? 

29 minutes ago, markertk said:

I’m wanting to put it in a Fluval Evo V. I have the stock filtration on it. A filter sponge with carbon and bio pearls. I have another tank (a RSM C-250) up and running that I can move it to if it appears to be not doing well, and if it doesn’t do well there I’d be prepared to return it to the store.

I’m just looking for refugium size recommendations for keeping one alive. 

Clown can you tell me the difference between having a refugium and culturing my own? I know the process behind both. I guess my question is would I not get the same growth of pods in a refugium that I would culturing my own?

My thoughts are if I have a gallon container growing pods, why would I not get the same amount of pods out of a gallon size refugium? 

Culturing pods is done in a separate system with phyto dosing. This is strictly to basically breed pods and be able to continuously seed the tank on a weekly basis.

This prevents having to spend tons of money supplying pods to a tank. 1 bottle here cost $29-39. Having to add 1-2 bottles a month to a tank for a mandarin gets costly.

They eat all day long. People who have gotten them to eat frozen food, still need to feed multiple times a day.

It's a real dedication when having a mandarin. 

A small refugium in a aio will not produce enough pods for a mandarin. 

If you are set on this fish, I would read the sticky threads on here from experienced owners and seriously look into pod culturing.

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty

I would do a HOB fuge the bigger the better 

throw a ball of chaeto and let it run. I would recommend dosing phyto (what @Clown79was saying) 

but be weary that it will suck up your tanks nutrients  but youll have pods for your mandarin