Pod Your Reef

new 30 gal cube

TimsVw

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dude, it is recommended that a clam not be introduced into a system until the system has had time to mature(min 6 months). The reason for that is you are going to go through several stages on the way to maturity. Well the best of luck to you and I really hope you know what you are doing-

yeah, the clam will have a hard time in such a young tank. i thought you were taking it slow???? seems like you got bit by the "i gotta have it now" bug. LOL !!!!!!

it' s happened to all of us at one time or another. make sure you learn from your mistakes!!!

also the base rock will never look like a figi live rock. i have set up two tanks with portions of base rock and live rock combined and after years the base rock still dosent look "right". it has coralline but never looks quite as good as the real thing. just my 2 cents as i was always told that it would look the same, and it just isnt true. i used HI rocks as the base rock.

good luck, and 20K will look sweet over that .

I know it will never look like figi live rock. I go the rock cause I liked the way it looks and it can easily turn into live rock. If I liked the look of figi more I would pay the extra for it, and I have no problem if people get it because of that. I know my tank is young but the perams have been perfect and stabel for one mo.(also the tank will be going on 3 mo.) I do small water changes at least twice a week to keep everything stabel. We will see, maybe it was wrong of me to put the clam in but I have seen older tanks that are not taken care of as much that have sps, clams, and anenomes in them. I am not trying to start anything, but I do feel that I watch and take care of my tank enough that the clam will do great.

-Tim

It's kind of hard to tell by the pic, but the clam looks like it's pretty shaded. I think you might have better mantle extensions and an overall better clam experience if you move it out into the open.

If it's out in the open, my bad. The pic makes it kind of hard to tell.

It is out in the open. I took that picture this morning 10 min after the lights went on. I do get full mantle extensions, and the clam has colored up alot since I got him a couple days ago.

-Tim

Here is a pic from the top down so you can see the amount of light. I think he may of closed slightly cause I had the flash on. Need to turn that off next time.

-Tim

I was checking this same setup at a local fish store.

I would love to have this in the middle of some casual type of library/sitting room....................

key word is older. older tanks require much less maintenance than younger ones. older tanks tend to "take care of themselves"

my established tanks require no testing. i change water weekly and dose ca/alk daily. scrape the glass and that is it.

when a tank is young it requires much more maintenance, therefore you cannot base the success of a clam on how much "maintenance" you do.

i was just pointing out that it is really recommended that you add a clam to a much more established tank. there a so many fluctuations in a new tank that you cannot control. true it may have been stable for a month, but it is better to add a clam after your params have been stable for 6mos.

as you get more experience you will see what i am talking about. after a while your parameters become rock solid, even if you are dosing ca/alk every day. if you plan on adding SPS i would start dosing right away to get everything as solid as you can. beware that you will have some pH flux when you start dosing, and clams are EXTREMELY sensitive to this.

what are you feeding the clam??

i am not trying to poke at you just justifying my view. i think all the other additions were fine. clams are just tough. at least you didnt get a maxima!!!

I am feeding the clam dt's. Right now I do a capfull every other day. I was dosing ca/alk before the clam was introduced. I understand where you are comming from corey, I just feel that I have done the research and that my tank is stable enough for him. I am not disagreeing that it would of been better to put him in a six mo. old tank. I do appreciate all the comments you give me. I was not trying to make it seem like I do not like your help. Guess I just get a little defensive when it comes to my tank :).

-Tim

Originally posted by TimsVw

I am feeding the clam dt's.  Right now I do a capfull every other day.  I was dosing ca/alk before the clam was introduced.  I understand where you are comming from corey, I just feel that I have done the research and that my tank is stable enough for him.  I am not disagreeing that it would of been better to put him in a six mo. old tank.  I do appreciate all the comments you give me.  I was not trying to make it seem like I do not like your help.  Guess I just get a little defensive when it comes to my tank :).  

-Tim

Ha! they are our babies!!!!!!!!!!! Hard to take advice when you put your own blood and sweat into it.

Its hard to take advice from a web board. You don't know half the time if someone is just blowing smoke out of their asses....

Most of the time I feel like its some snot nosed punk quoting what his friends just told him 3 days ago.

Welp now you have done it, I am giving my G/f the Nano cube, and am going to be setting up my 30 gallon cube with in the next few weeks.

I have ordered a 150 watt pendant, but I am going to sell it as soon as I get it and buy a 250 watt Aqua light. Looks like your tank has inspired me to get rid of my long time pet Hampton the large mouth bass. It was time he was returned to the lake to have some fun with the ladies.

5748Hamp_1-med.JPG

Nah he is actually a dark silver with dark green and yellow lines and splotches. Hahha, gotta love the cheap 10 watts of NO fury that came with the 30 cube.

It is a 175W. He is coloring up more each day. He had also attached to the rock I gave him over the first night I had him. Also the ricordia is dividing and is coloring up as well.

whitten you will love the tank.

-Tim

Man Tim, I can't wait to get mine set up. I am going to try and drill three bulk head openings into the back of the tank so that I can go ahead and do my over flow and what not. I figure it is better to do it now, then wait until I have stuff in it.

Archived