ReefCleaners.org

18gallon nano power head nero 5 vrs mp10??

Gakarl100

I have a 18g nano. Need to get a power head.  Debating between the Nero 5 and the mp10. I like them both for their low profile. I really like the Nero since I have a ai prime 16 light and the ability to use the same app for the Nero. I believe both power heads can be throttled back in power. Any reason to not use either power head?

I have both on my tank. 

I love love love my Nero 5. Been reefing for 12+ years and have used pretty much every powerhead there is and the Nero 5 by far is my favorite. 

Considering it can pump 3000+ gph is twice the amount of the MP10. 

Also, considering you already have the AI interface your tank would be so streamlined with the Nero. You can set the Nero for different modes at different settings at different times of the day. It has a great feed feature, full flow, and if something gets jammed in it. It will stop delivering power so it doesn't break. 

Beyond silent. Even at a 100% it sounds like a little whirl but that's it. 

Wider flow too and a smidge more adjustable since the MP10 sit flat. 

I use the MP10 for the rear wall and facing the sps. Would have used another Nero but I got the MP10 from someone on here for cheap. 

Cheers! 

5 hours ago, Matteo said:

I have both on my tank. 

I love love love my Nero 5. Been reefing for 12+ years and have used pretty much every powerhead there is and the Nero 5 by far is my favorite. 

Considering it can pump 3000+ gph is twice the amount of the MP10. 

Also, considering you already have the AI interface your tank would be so streamlined with the Nero. You can set the Nero for different modes at different settings at different times of the day. It has a great feed feature, full flow, and if something gets jammed in it. It will stop delivering power so it doesn't break. 

Beyond silent. Even at a 100% it sounds like a little whirl but that's it. 

Wider flow too and a smidge more adjustable since the MP10 sit flat. 

I use the MP10 for the rear wall and facing the sps. Would have used another Nero but I got the MP10 from someone on here for cheap. 

Cheers! 

@Matteocan you tell me the flow at it's lowest setting? 

I have both as well.  Using the mp10 on my cvue 18G.  Using two Neros on my Reefer.  I agree with Mateo, definitely a good pump with a wider flow pattern and you can adjust the angle a bit.  It is a little bigger than the mp10 and does have a wire in the tank if that matters to you.

20 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

I have both as well.  Using the mp10 on my cvue 18G.  Using two Neros on my Reefer.  I agree with Mateo, definitely a good pump with a wider flow pattern and you can adjust the angle a bit.  It is a little bigger than the mp10 and does have a wire in the tank if that matters to you.

@DreC80 What’s your lowest flow setting on the Nero?  Do you think the minimum is to much for the cvue 18?  

36 minutes ago, Gakarl100 said:

@DreC80 What’s your lowest flow setting on the Nero?  Do you think the minimum is to much for the cvue 18?  

The lowest I run is 25% on constant mode during night time.  I run them at 75% random mode during the day.  This is on a 4ft long tank.  The app shows you approximate flow and 25% constant is about 1,400 gph.  I found a post on another site and the individual who posted said 1% is roughly 950 gph.  I'll be honest the mp10 is plenty for the cvue18...the nero might be too much.  I had two mp10s on my nuvo 30 (3 ft) and they worked well.  Hopefully this helps in your decision making.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gakarl100 said:

@Matteocan you tell me the flow at it's lowest setting? 

1% is 950gph but spread widely so don't be scared haha it really doesn't push much at 1%

On 3/31/2020 at 10:36 PM, Matteo said:

1% is 950gph but spread widely so don't be scared haha it really doesn't push much at 1%

ok so you think the 950 due to wide spread would be ok.  18gallon x 50 is 900 gallons of flow, plus include return pump flow of maybe 200 (if the cheap return pump is performing at max).

On 4/2/2020 at 6:34 AM, Gakarl100 said:

ok so you think the 950 due to wide spread would be ok.  18gallon x 50 is 900 gallons of flow, plus include return pump flow of maybe 200 (if the cheap return pump is performing at max).

Yes and it looks like you grabbed one! Nice! It's a great pump and yeah due to its wide flow it's very versatile in regards to how much flow. 

You're gonna be set! 

Very cool.  Is your dry side magnet sitting in water in the rear chamber?  If so, might want to double check if it's made for that.  Wouldn't want it to start rusting and affect your tank.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 4/3/2020 at 5:28 PM, Gakarl100 said:

Ended up picking up the Nero 5. Very pleased. Not to much at all was afraid it over power the tank. 

42C60405-D091-4191-8C6F-682BC203CDBB.jpeg

104803DC-58F4-4F72-8F79-C502D328481F.jpeg

What intensity are you at? Doesn’t seem like it’s blowing up the sand in such a narrow space- what kinda sand are you using?

On 4/3/2020 at 6:28 PM, Gakarl100 said:

Ended up picking up the Nero 5. Very pleased. Not to much at all was afraid it over power the tank.

My only "worry" wold be eventually needing two ($$) when the tank grows in a bit.

Flowing an empty tank is easy-peasy.