Cultivated Reef

Rhodactis Lavender Mushroom problem

LesPaulGtr

Hi All,

This past Thursday, I added my first corals: A Rhodactis Lavender Mushroom and Green Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral.  The toadstool coral looks good to me, but on the Rhodactis, today I noticed a dark grey area in the front and a lighter grey area on the top that didn't seem like it was there yesterday.  The coral is also white with light pink/yellow accents.  It's supposed to be a deep purple and look like this: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+2856+872&pcatid=872

Any ideas?  I'm new to corals, but have had an established tank for over a year with stable parameters.  I drip acclimated the corals for over an hour and dipped them before adding.  I've also limited the amount of light they both get.

IMG_1414.thumb.JPG.7799773833b6e2255e145fdf7ad45dfc.JPGIMG_6855.thumb.JPG.fbe73d21ffa95e0dc72d4469b8d9e5f1.JPG

IMG_6289.thumb.JPG.efee672358cb8519637d5401f4bb8da2.JPG

Thank you in advance.

4 hours ago, LesPaulGtr said:

Hi All,

This past Thursday, I added my first corals: A Rhodactis Lavender Mushroom and Green Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral.  The toadstool coral looks good to me, but on the Rhodactis, today I noticed a dark grey area in the front and a lighter grey area on the top that didn't seem like it was there yesterday.  The coral is also white with light pink/yellow accents.  It's supposed to be a deep purple and look like this: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+2856+872&pcatid=872

Any ideas?  I'm new to corals, but have had an established tank for over a year with stable parameters.  I drip acclimated the corals for over an hour and dipped them before adding.  I've also limited the amount of light they both get.

IMG_1414.thumb.JPG.7799773833b6e2255e145fdf7ad45dfc.JPGIMG_6855.thumb.JPG.fbe73d21ffa95e0dc72d4469b8d9e5f1.JPG

IMG_6289.thumb.JPG.efee672358cb8519637d5401f4bb8da2.JPG

Thank you in advance.

Was it like this in the store?  If so could be from being under too much light.

Hi @Clown79 I got the corals from Live Aquaria, see the product link above in my first post. When I first opened the box the coral was very dark grey and brown with lots of debris in the bag. It took a day for it to open up the way you see it in the picture but it’s always been light colored instead of what the pic on the product page looks like. Not sure about those grey sections of the coral. 

Any hints on how to restore its color or should I reach out to Live Aquaria?

Thanks