Innovative Marine Aquariums

Anemone Woes

DenverBiocube16

DenverBiocube16

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, so will give a bit of a run down on the setup and then go from there. We recently acquired a 16 gal biocube with protein skimmer and power head. We purchased the tank mature(between 1-1.5 years old) with a couple snails and a small mushroom coral already in residence. We got the water parameters back to stable after transport, (pH 7.9-8.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 40 “a bit high I know but coming down”, temp 76*F, and salinity 1.024). Everything seemed pretty good until today, we purchased two clowns and a green BTA on Saturday. This afternoon the BTA was looking real rough, gaping mouth, deflated, etc. Looks like we may have had a heater issue because the water was 73*F when I checked it about 1pm MST. The BTA has since inflated a bit more but still isn’t looking great. Any thoughts/ideas? It still seems to be moving so I’m hoping it hasn’t crashed yet, but I know how delicate they can be. I’ll include a couple Pics for reference. Thanks all!

(Slight update, BTA seems to still be moving on it’s own. Since the picture it has moved deeper behind the rock and seems to still be attached.)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

NoOneLikesADryTang

Bubble tips can be finicky until they find a spot they're happy in. He still has color (which mean he still has zooxanthellae, which is a very good sign), and believe it or not, the fact that he's moving on his own is also good sign. He's probably looking for a place he's happy with the flow and light. When they get sick, they typically let go of the rocks/tank walls and just fall to the sand bed. I wouldn't worry too much about him, and just keep an eye on him. 

• Like 1
DenverBiocube16
7 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Bubble tips can be finicky until they find a spot they're happy in. He still has color (which mean he still has zooxanthellae, which is a very good sign), and believe it or not, the fact that he's moving on his own is also good sign. He's probably looking for a place he's happy with the flow and light. When they get sick, they typically let go of the rocks/tank walls and just fall to the sand bed. I wouldn't worry too much about him, and just keep an eye on him. 

Thanks so much for the response. This is my first BTA and I am definitely a bit worried after seeing the wide open mouth.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

This is spot on.

6 hours ago, DenverBiocube16 said:

Thanks so much for the response. This is my first BTA and I am definitely a bit worried after seeing the wide open mouth.

Gaping mouth seems to happen from eating, expelling poop, even when added to a nee system.

If it detaches and flips over, starts breaking apart- something is up 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1