SaltCritters.com

A 5 year olds 7 gallon - 365 Day Challenge

persun87

Here is our entry into the 365 day challenge. This Will be a team effort with my 5 year old daughter who loves online “challenges”. We are resurrecting a 12” Deep Blue cube that was converted into an AIO. Tank had been abandoned then emptied and sat in the shed for a couple years. The theme will be “5 year old dream” she will be in charge of stocking and maintaining with a little help. We will be using mostly if not all equipment that is laying around. She is excited to pick some fish and take some of dad’s coral. 

18312DF9-9F1F-4553-A641-C11900F090BE.jpeg

8A4EA049-6331-42DA-B292-39007CE19D7C.jpeg

• Like 6
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Don't forget to add the "365 day challenge" tag to your thread so everyone can find it an follow along!!

Thank you thought I had but see you need to add an actual tag. New to this. I normally mostly lurk in the forums. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, MaineReefkeeper said:

Liking what I can see of the rock already! Looks great! 

Thank you! We are still working on it. I’m liking how it’s coming. I am a sucker for Tonga branch scapes. 

• Like 1
MaineReefkeeper
2 hours ago, persun87 said:

Thank you! We are still working on it. I’m liking how it’s coming. I am a sucker for Tonga branch scapes. 

I totally am with you on the branch rock scapes. You’re off to a good start. I personally don’t think you need any more rock. Also it’s awesome to be doing with your 5 year old! My almost 4 year old twins are what got me going again after a several year hiatus. 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 4/21/2020 at 1:49 PM, kimberbee said:

Hope all is well with this tank! Were you able to get it wet??

We have not got it wet unfortunately. Think this weekend it will be wet. My daughter can’t wait to get a clown but with all the crazy going on we haven’t been able to go to the LFS. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Do you have the salt, or can you mail-order it? You may as well get the tank started cycling. Buy some macros from live-plants or ReefCleaners to add in some pods, and you'll at least have some things to watch, albeit tiny ones. Shipping on macros is cheap, there are some really pretty varieties, and they'll help keep the tank clean. I'd show your daughter some pics of pretty algaes to consider. I believe live-plants still has some blue hypnea in stock? 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...