Pod Your Reef

IM NUVO filter socks

justin81

What's the big deal with theses socks?  Everybody keeps saying throw them away and get more baskets and filter floss.  All I do with mine is turn them inside out and rinse them in hot water then let them soak in hot water with hydrogen peroxide over night.  Then i rinse them again with RODI and air dry and they are good to go. 

Why does everyone hate them?

• Like 1

People don't like using socks because you need to switch them out weekly while the other ones are being washed.

It's a hassle and gets costly. You can also do more with media baskets.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

I read that as 

People are lazy and need something to complain about.  :lol:

Not really. Its costly to replace them and difficult to run other media.

Replacing floss 2 times a week is a lot faster and cost effective.

The socks are only like $10.   I think using a sock over and over is better than throwing floss in the trash????  

unless the floss is better than a sock?  Is it more efficient?

• Like 1

You can buy a 10 pack on amazon of the filter socks that fit your tank for like 50$. I switch mine out every two days. I think it’s better getting rid of organics mechanically than trying to do get rid of phosphates and nitrates chemically. Personally I think the design is great. With the lip of the sock fitting right under the overflow with a tall lip in the back, they catch a ton of stuff. 

I think baskets are ok but water follows the path of least resistance. Media reactors get water through your media in a clearer way.  

ive never used floss. Sounds easy but wasteful. 

• Like 1
On 2/29/2020 at 9:45 PM, justin81 said:

The socks are only like $10.   I think using a sock over and over is better than throwing floss in the trash????  

unless the floss is better than a sock?  Is it more efficient?

Most find floss more efficient, that's why most aio users don't use the socks anymore.

I'm currently using a sock on the turbulent side of the tank and a basket on the other side to hold chemi-pure blue with the IM puff balls as the mechanical.  I'm thinking about removing the basket and just running socks in both.  I have the IM reactor to run media and the chemi-pure can go right into the socks.