Top Shelf Aquatics

Had to create a temporary lid. Fish jumped 😖

Mike P

So got some new stuff in the mail for my reefer 170 today and ordered a diy net lid for my tank hoping it would arrive today also . Added a zebra barred dartfish however my lid has not arrived just yet and what do you know, I hear a thump thump and look at the floor, there he is laying there. Dang it, quickly picked him up and get him back I. The tank, he was freaked out but everything seems okay. My first action, start looking for a quick solution until my lit gets here tomorrow. Took cardboard lid off my wife’s ugg boots box measured it, fits pretty good, cut out a window, covered with foil to help it from bending at sides too much, covered it all with a good layer of Saran Wrap....... done. Also made sure it was sealed enough that if the fish jumps again he should be safe and have some openings at the back near the overflow for air circulation. Hope this does the trick for a day. Going to shut down the lights early incase it heats things up

BEE992AA-8A06-4D5B-88D8-C8B433888BEA.thumb.jpeg.38dff5b6b149b3e7cca146adfce23679.jpeg6DC8DBFE-34CC-4313-8753-F8E48B945A46.thumb.jpeg.d1014bff43029b957d5e6f30d00fe99d.jpeg4F769FA3-1D52-468B-A6C4-C4EF7449BE50.thumb.jpeg.3b8221213a31c57112ce4e370ded88c6.jpeg

• Wow 1

Not bad for a lid made out of craft supplies.

Dartfish and firefish, IMO, should NEVER be put in a tank without a lid. No fish should (except maybe seahorses), but torpedo-shaped, easily-startled fish prone to darting when startled are especially bad to have un-contained. Glad you found him! He should be okay, provided he didn't take any head damage from the fall. 

For general reference by anyone reading, dry hands can cause a lot of damage to a slime coat. If a fish jumps, it's best to dip your hands into the aquarium, as fast as possible, before grabbing it- the half second more of time on the floor won't magnify the harm to it any. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Tired said:

Not bad for a lid made out of craft supplies.

Dartfish and firefish, IMO, should NEVER be put in a tank without a lid. No fish should (except maybe seahorses), but torpedo-shaped, easily-startled fish prone to darting when startled are especially bad to have un-contained. Glad you found him! He should be okay, provided he didn't take any head damage from the fall. 

For general reference by anyone reading, dry hands can cause a lot of damage to a slime coat. If a fish jumps, it's best to dip your hands into the aquarium, as fast as possible, before grabbing it- the half second more of time on the floor won't magnify the harm to it any. 

Seems okay, can tell he hit the wall first then went to the floor. Had a wet outline of him on the wall. The plan was to have the lid today also but it got delayed😒

Wow, you were lucky to be there and save the poor fishy!  I just have a piece of acrylic on mine.  It hasnt been cut out to fit beacuse I cant decide on my light fixture so therefor dont know where to make the cuts for my filter, may more the filter to the side instead of back of tank.. Plus I may upsize my filter.  Got to get that figured out soon! 

• Like 2

Built the Red Sea diy lid and it was a big pain. But at least it fits, I guess I messed up very slightly on one side because it’s a a little crooked in the back corner but not that big of a deal. My fish is doing good and is eating and seems to be injury free

0768538F-CD1E-44B5-8BE8-934DFE32612B.thumb.jpeg.cf6bbb005edd5d59dcc0ca6115fb2eb9.jpeg