ReefCleaners.org

Bacteria Disease in my toadstool? A hole appear

Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

Hello,

Couple weeks ago I notice white spot on my toadstool and couple weeks after a hole form.

?hash=27ff11a89c13c949a1a4b65d4a3c5ff9

(pic taken the morning when coral sleep)

I had a problem with one of my red sea coral pro salt and I had to switch the salt, the white spot appear after this.

Another thing, I cut the flesh by accident on the left part around the same time frame. I don't know if bacteria could have gone inside and make it sick.

It seem to recover but those white spot is something I never experience before, any though/suggestion? 

6 hours ago, Aqua Splendor said:

Hello,

Couple weeks ago I notice white spot on my toadstool and couple weeks after a hole form.

?hash=27ff11a89c13c949a1a4b65d4a3c5ff9

(pic taken the morning when coral sleep)

I had a problem with one of my red sea coral pro salt and I had to switch the salt, the white spot appear after this.

Another thing, I cut the flesh by accident on the left part around the same time frame. I don't know if bacteria could have gone inside and make it sick.

It seem to recover but those white spot is something I never experience before, any though/suggestion? 

I had this exact thing happen to a large toadstool years ago.  Eventually his stall started to shrink up and look all wrinkled.  I noticed a small sand like tube going to its base.  Some sort of worm had chewed a perfect tube from the bottom of the stalk all the way out the center top of the crown, just like the hole in your picture.  I actually saw it one night dart down through the top from inside the hole.  I ended up cutting the toad into pieces and tied the chunks to rock rubble ..... I then had a bunch of little toadstools.  Never found the damn worm though.  

Not saying that’s what yours is ...... but that’s what I had. 

Good luck.

- that’s a nice one you have. 

• Like 2
Aqua Splendor
42 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

I had this exact thing happen to a large toadstool years ago.  Eventually his stall started to shrink up and look all wrinkled.  I noticed a small sand like tube going to its base.  Some sort of worm had chewed a perfect tube from the bottom of the stalk all the way out the center top of the crown, just like the hole in your picture.  I actually saw it one night dart down through the top from inside the hole.  I ended up cutting the toad into pieces and tied the chunks to rock rubble ..... I then had a bunch of little toadstools.  Never found the damn worm though.  

Not saying that’s what yours is ...... but that’s what I had. 

Good luck.

- that’s a nice one you have. 

Eh man thx a lot, 

I'm going to sleep very well now 🤣

• Haha 2

My large toadstool would get holes similar to that and then the holes would expand until the entire lobe would fall of and become a new clone. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe just keep it clean by squirting it with something like a turkey baster and see how it does.

Aqua Splendor
5 minutes ago, mrbill said:

stool would get holes simil

Yeah, I was planning to frag it but that damn coral is faster then me!
I saw one of emerald crab cleaning dead part at first, I don't think he's the one making the hole.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 8:09 PM, Aqua Splendor said:

I saw one of emerald crab cleaning dead part at first, I don't think he's the one making the hole.

Something like that is fairly likely....if you actually saw it happen, don't discount it.  Crabs are omnivores, not cleaner animals.....so he's only there for one reason -- to be a good omnivore!  😉

How are your nitrate and phosphate levels?  Toadstools love nutrients.

Any other changes to the tank aside from the salt?

What was the problem with the salt?

Its probly self fragging mine usualy do it a out once a year sometimes more or less. It always seems to get bigger faster after self fragging for a while after it pinches 2 or 3 clones off. I've given lots of frags to a friends tank and they do the same in there.

Aqua Splendor
10 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Something like that is fairly likely....if you actually saw it happen, don't discount it.  Crabs are omnivores, not cleaner animals.....so he's only there for one reason -- to be a good omnivore!  😉

How are your nitrate and phosphate levels?  Toadstools love nutrients.

Any other changes to the tank aside from the salt?

What was the problem with the salt?

The level of Phosphate has diminush from .5 to .07 Nitrate... damn i forgot to take measures lately, probably around 10ppm

Fro the salt it was because of stratification ... and something else in that bucket that affect the coral that we will never no.

Unfortunately Red Sea don't accept sample salt package when you're Canadian, they told me it's because they receive the package damaged/broken ... not too sure what to think about that. I was disapointed to not know why that bucket affect the corals every single time I try. I just ignore it and use another one... Damn I wish i knew what cause this, i'm so curious.

Anyways i'm deriving a bit from the subjects.

I look at it right now and ... honestly it look great minus does white/paler spot. It really look natural fission.

• Like 1