Coral Vue Hydros

JBJ 24 vs IM 20 Peninsula vs standard 20L vs 20T? 1st reef

danistarr

It can be hit or miss ordering a larger tank on line. Some times they arrive broken. Usually customer service is great about replacements but it is a delay. If you can find one locally and they will price match then go that route. Around 20 years ago I got one of the JBJ nano cubes 24 gallon delivered. I got it from Dr. Foster and Smith they double boxed with so much Styrofoam between the 2 boxes it arrived in perfect condition. Which was a pleasant surprise! I am glad you priced every thing out a new AIO sounds like a better plan unless unlike me you could DIY on the insert. Some very interesting idea are showing up in the contest thread. Also some inexpensive AIO smaller tanks look like great choices. This contest is so tempting but with 3 empty tanks in the garage (none are AIO) no new tank for me. The only hard thing with retirement is sticking to a budget. I must do that so I call go up North at least once a year. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I didn't know you were thinking about that reef converter thing.....similar idea to the Reefpack (re-use a plain tank) but not quite as good IMO since it doesn't come with everything you need and since it requires a permanent tank mod.

Which new tank are you looking at now?

Yes I would try to get your tank locally if possible.

This one https://www.innovative-marine.com/product-page/nuvo-fusion-peninsula-20-gallon

I agree it seems like a nice tank.

I'm not sure whether it's actually $50-100 "nicer" than the tank you already have plus a reefpack, but that has more to do with economics.

If your budget is tight I would strongly consider re-outfitting the tank you already have or perhaps buying a tank (or reefpack) used instead of new.

(Otherwise go with what seems the coolest.)

• Like 1
On 2/7/2020 at 7:26 AM, debbeach13 said:

Perfect choice. I think you will love that tank.

I kept going back and forth between the IM Peninsula 20 or getting a standard glass Mr. Aqua/Aquamaxx 22 gallon long tank. It was mainly because of the extra 6" (well technically 9", since the display of the IM 20 is 27" long.

I wish I could have found a standard rimmed 23 gallon (dimensions were 36x12x12 that used to be popular, as that would have been perfect.)

I finally decided that I was too worried about going over the 20 gallon apartment limit, and took the plunge to buy the IM 20 tank! 

It has an estimated arrival of the 20th! 🙂

(I emailed BRS and asked about what happens in the event of a cracked tank. It seemed low risk to order online, and couldn't find one locally- only JBS)

I'm (almost) officially in the contest! 😄

On 2/7/2020 at 3:28 PM, mcarroll said:

I agree it seems like a nice tank.

I'm not sure whether it's actually $50-100 "nicer" than the tank you already have plus a reefpack, but that has more to do with economics.

If your budget is tight I would strongly consider re-outfitting the tank you already have or perhaps buying a tank (or reefpack) used instead of new.

(Otherwise go with what seems the coolest.)

Keeping the tank I have plus getting a reefpack might have made more sense economically, but I ended up going with the IM 20. 

Budget is tight, but I have been saving for a tank. I really like how clean the IM 20 looks, as I have never had a nice tank like that before. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, danistarr said:

Keeping the tank I have plus getting a reefpack might have made more sense economically, but I ended up going with the IM 20. 

Budget is tight, but I have been saving for a tank. I really like how clean the IM 20 looks, as I have never had a nice tank like that before. 

i think you’ll love it. by no means am i as experienced as most people on this forum so my 2 cents may not be worth as much. however, i have only ever used standard tanks like aqueon and stuff of that sort from petco. i just recently ordered a nuvo10 online(marine depot). it came double boxed with styrofoam inserts in the actual IM box and stuffed in another box with a ton of packaging peanuts and other styrofoam braces.the only way i could have seen mine breaking is if the UPS guy maybe dropped it from over waist high or threw it. mine was in perfect condition and the tank is beautiful and such a clean setup! the glass clarity is great compared to what im used too. hopefully it arrives safe for you too! 

• Like 2