Jump to content
danistarr

JBJ 24 vs IM 20 Peninsula vs standard 20L vs 20T? 1st reef

Recommended Posts

danistarr

Hello everyone!

 

I attempted to start a reef aquarium several years back (got a tank, some rock) but then moved and had to sell it before I could start it. 

 

My last place allowed only a 10 gallon, my current place allows 20 gallons. 

 

I keep going back and forth between the following:

1) JBJ 24 (I like how it is plug and play, how it looks clean, and how the hooded lid helps with evaporation. SInce it holds about 20 gallons of water with sand/rock/equipment, I think it would be fine for my apartment. The stand is fairly cheap too!)

2) IM 20 peninsula (like how it looks nice, and that is comes with a lid already)

3) Standard 20L (already have)

4) Standard 20T (never had before, so new to me)

 

I like how the JBJ and IM tanks have the hidden compartment that could be used for hiding a heater, but I also realize that could be done with an AC 110 as well. 

 

Deeper and wider takes seem like they have the added ability for corals to grow tall and a better rock scape. Fish seem to swim more horizontally though, and a longer tank makes it easier to have "islands" to isolate corals, or to give them more space from each other. A shallower tank is easier to light as well, and the current USA LEDs I've seen recommended are quite cheap!

 

I want to have some sort of lid no matter what, just for peace of mind.

 

Stockwise, I am interested in soft corals (such as discosoma mushrooms, toadstool mushroom,pom pom xenia, leather, GSP, sympodium, pipe organ, kenya tree-) and LPS (hammer, torch, frogspawn). I am interested in BTA's FAR down the road as well, but well aware of their difficult care (moving and stinging other corals, going into powerheads, high light, need 1+ yr tank, etc)

 

For inverts, I would love a pair of scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp.

 

Fish wise, I for sure want a pair of CB ocellaris clownfish. I am unsure if I want to add a 3rd or 4th fish, leaning towards just 2 clowns currently.

 

For additional fish, I am interested in CB blue neon gobies, CB orchid or neon dottybacks, and love sixline wrasses (maybe royal grammas and bicolor blennies as well). I do realize that a sixline (and even an orchid or neon dottyback) in a nano tank with other fish typically does not have long term success due to aggression as they mature, so I am contemplating setting up a seperate 20 gallon long after my first reef just for a single sixline or dottyback (unless you all say different).  I've heard conflicting things about whether a 20 is enough space for them though. (Igreens nano fish guide seems a bit outdated)

 

I've also heard that mature clownfish are quite aggressive as well, so a 3rd/4th fish in a nano might not work at because of them as well. What are your all thoughts?

 

Which tank would you recommend, based on my desired corals and livestock? I am wanting to keep it low tech and simple (at least to start) since it is my first reef tank. I won't be doing a sump due to gallonage restriction (I just don't think a 20 gallon with 10-20 gallon sump underneath it is exactly what they had in mind when they said 20 gal limit, lol) I already have a 20L on hand, but have no problem with selling it or using it for a 3rd tank in the future 😉 

 

I've contemplating just setting up a 30 breeder instead, but don't want to push it. 

 

For the cube, this one of my inspiration tanks (I am assuming it is several years old)

 

For long (but a large toadstool on the right, and more rock work)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Mkus

I have the JBJ 24 with LED's I used the currant Truluman strips two blue and one 50/50 tanks been great setup 2 years upgraded from my old biocube  14.

The one thing I do not like about the 24 is the lid design if it falls from the upright position the small door will snap off it happened once already they sent me a new lid...

As for the IM 20 I have no experience with those or other tanks but I’ve been happy oh and I have a refugium in the back middle chamber and it works great!!!

Here’s a few photos I’ve had most of the corals close to 12 years and the clown.

Mark

3A088C68-7E54-4928-A189-A60845A7D27E.jpeg

2E0FD435-3941-4FEE-BA46-8ADACDE0A3A0.jpeg

975B476A-4D7F-467D-A8AA-969C5B39CF9A.jpeg

A7A957C4-D37E-4839-9450-D0791CD511E1.jpeg

74829013-4864-4D81-8583-122B29140EF4.jpeg

F76B6D1E-C247-49DE-B533-CB17FFBF2335.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef

I vote for IM peninsula simply due to your choice of corals. They’re all relatively low-medium light and do not grow vertically much. So you don’t need vertical space, but you’ll need “floor space” to give rooms between some of them, or even rock islands as you mentioned for isolation. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
jservedio

It all depends on where it's going to go - if you have a spot an IM peninsula would fit, it's going to look the nicest. The build quality on the IM is way nicer than the JBJs and a rimmed 20g just looks like a rimmed 20g with tons of crap hanging out of it unless you have a sump.

 

Every single one of the tanks can be used as a platform for an incredible aquarium and there are tons of examples. I've got a 20g tall and can tell you that it gets the job done and what has always been one of my favorite nano tanks, NanoTopia's 20g (ToTM, April 2013) is also a 20g tall.

 

I will say that most of us with regular rimmed 20g tanks didn't get them because it's the tank that we wanted - it's just what we had or what was available easily at the time. There are so many more options now!

 

When I say a rimmed 20T will get the job done, my tank looks pretty decent on the inside:

fts-2020-01-27.thumb.jpg.bbaeaf65aea8c07d9ebe3236ab23b740.jpg

 

However, it doesn't look so nice on the outside, in fact, it looks like a big pile of crap sitting in the corner of my nice office and I have a sump to hide the ugliest of it:

full-tank-shot.thumb.jpg.9a36a178670adeb20ca32ad82c56fd4c.jpg'

 

Edited to Add: The apartment I lived in when this was set up also limited us to a 20g aquarium, however, I just called the sump "a filter" and nobody said anything. My last apartment had a "no aquarium" policy, but it wasn't in the listing and they didn't mention it on the phone and only showed up in the rental agreement after doing the background and credit check and I told them I was backing out. They had me send over a picture of the tank and they gave me an addendum to the lease for it. As long as it's nice looking, nobody cares. If it looks like crap or you have a spill, they will all of the sudden care.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

Clown fish can become aggressive so I usually add them after the other fish are established. If you are not sure about other fish and want clowns first then when I did get the other fish I would re-scape a little so the clowns have to establish a new territory which helps. Also reduce the light cycle for a few days some times that will help to lower aggression.  I personally like long tanks more than cubes but both styles have many beautiful examples and would be fine. I am cheap so I would probably price out the equipment you will need for the tank you already have and compare that to the IM peninsula. Butt the IM will probably look a little cleaner when all is said and done. Good luck with what ever you decide. Your going to live with it so go with the tank style that is the most pleasing to you. 

Check out Tigaboy's 20g project - still no catchy title yet for a nice example. I posted in it just now to bump the thread.

Edited by debbeach13
added text

Share this post


Link to post
danistarr
18 hours ago, Mkus said:

I have the JBJ 24 with LED's I used the currant Truluman strips two blue and one 50/50 tanks been great setup 2 years upgraded from my old biocube  14.

The one thing I do not like about the 24 is the lid design if it falls from the upright position the small door will snap off it happened once already they sent me a new lid...

As for the IM 20 I have no experience with those or other tanks but I’ve been happy oh and I have a refugium in the back middle chamber and it works great!!!

Here’s a few photos I’ve had most of the corals close to 12 years and the clown.

Mark

3A088C68-7E54-4928-A189-A60845A7D27E.jpeg

2E0FD435-3941-4FEE-BA46-8ADACDE0A3A0.jpeg

975B476A-4D7F-467D-A8AA-969C5B39CF9A.jpeg

A7A957C4-D37E-4839-9450-D0791CD511E1.jpeg

74829013-4864-4D81-8583-122B29140EF4.jpeg

F76B6D1E-C247-49DE-B533-CB17FFBF2335.jpeg

Thank you so much for the photos and feedback! Your tank looks awesome!

 

Just to make sure I understand correctly, are you using the stock lights, or did you modify and add your own lights?

 

How easy is it for the hood to fall off? I am planning on the tank being against the wall. 

 

Another question I had, how much of the display is taken up by the compartment in the back? Is the compartment in the back hard to keep clean?

 

Did you get a custom in-tank media basket for the refugium, or did you simply just fill it and add a light? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
danistarr
17 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I vote for IM peninsula simply due to your choice of corals. They’re all relatively low-medium light and do not grow vertically much. So you don’t need vertical space, but you’ll need “floor space” to give rooms between some of them, or even rock islands as you mentioned for isolation. 

The toadstool mushroom doesn't grow vertically to the point where it needs a deeper tank? That is one that I was concerned about. 

 

I agree that the other corals would do good with more "floor space." 

 

It is really nice and sleek looking. I have concern with getting a glass aquarium shipped though in the mail. I imagine it would be fairly common for them to arrive cracked? Not too mention, I would feel really bad making the mailman carry it up 4 flights of stairs with no elevator (since it is 40/50 lbs and in a very large box). The stand is also another $300. 

 

I'm thinking to save some money, maybe just using my current 20 gallon long, and adding a custom OceanBox AIO to the back to hide the heater/add a refugium. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
danistarr
16 hours ago, jservedio said:

It all depends on where it's going to go - if you have a spot an IM peninsula would fit, it's going to look the nicest. The build quality on the IM is way nicer than the JBJs and a rimmed 20g just looks like a rimmed 20g with tons of crap hanging out of it unless you have a sump.

 

Every single one of the tanks can be used as a platform for an incredible aquarium and there are tons of examples. I've got a 20g tall and can tell you that it gets the job done and what has always been one of my favorite nano tanks, NanoTopia's 20g (ToTM, April 2013) is also a 20g tall.

 

I will say that most of us with regular rimmed 20g tanks didn't get them because it's the tank that we wanted - it's just what we had or what was available easily at the time. There are so many more options now!

 

When I say a rimmed 20T will get the job done, my tank looks pretty decent on the inside:

fts-2020-01-27.thumb.jpg.bbaeaf65aea8c07d9ebe3236ab23b740.jpg

 

However, it doesn't look so nice on the outside, in fact, it looks like a big pile of crap sitting in the corner of my nice office and I have a sump to hide the ugliest of it:

full-tank-shot.thumb.jpg.9a36a178670adeb20ca32ad82c56fd4c.jpg'

 

Edited to Add: The apartment I lived in when this was set up also limited us to a 20g aquarium, however, I just called the sump "a filter" and nobody said anything. My last apartment had a "no aquarium" policy, but it wasn't in the listing and they didn't mention it on the phone and only showed up in the rental agreement after doing the background and credit check and I told them I was backing out. They had me send over a picture of the tank and they gave me an addendum to the lease for it. As long as it's nice looking, nobody cares. If it looks like crap or you have a spill, they will all of the sudden care.

Your tank looks really nice! How long have you had it running?

 

I don't really mind rims on aquariums, or having some equipment hanging off the tank (not a huge fan of a heater in the tank, just because they stick out a lot in my opinion, both visually and physically, or internal filters). Your tank set up to me still looks quite nice!

 

Would you mind elaborating on how the build quality of the IM is nicer than the JBJ? 

 

I think as much as I would really like a JBJ24 or IM, it might make more financial sense to just stick with the 20 gallon long I currently have, or getting a new 20 tall.

 

That is a good point about a sump technically just being a filter. 

 

I will say, I have had a very bad experience with a drilled 75 gallon that had a sump. I followed the fish store/online instructions for setting it up, and thought I did it correctly. Woke up to the sump flooding, as I had not put the return pipe out of the water correctly, or something like that? I am very hesitant to try one again after that experience. They seem very fiddle, and easy to cause a flood. Is this true, or can they be idiot proof? 

 

Also, how do you fit it underneath the tank? Do people have custom built stands, or do they just put it on the floor inside? Would a 5.5 gallon be a decent size, or would 10 gallons be better? 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
danistarr
17 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Clown fish can become aggressive so I usually add them after the other fish are established. If you are not sure about other fish and want clowns first then when I did get the other fish I would re-scape a little so the clowns have to establish a new territory which helps. Also reduce the light cycle for a few days some times that will help to lower aggression.  I personally like long tanks more than cubes but both styles have many beautiful examples and would be fine. I am cheap so I would probably price out the equipment you will need for the tank you already have and compare that to the IM peninsula. Butt the IM will probably look a little cleaner when all is said and done. Good luck with what ever you decide. Your going to live with it so go with the tank style that is the most pleasing to you. 

Check out Tigaboy's 20g project - still no catchy title yet for a nice example. I posted in it just now to bump the thread.

Would you think a CB orchid dottyback would count as more peaceful or aggressive compared to clowns? I think I am just going to rule out the sixline until I can have a 30 gal+ (ideally 75 gal+)

 

I spent a couple hours reading through Tigaboy's 20g thread! That is a really nice tank, and the backlighting he did was really neat! 

 

I was leaning towards a standard tank for cost, but wow does that look nice! 

 

I still can't decide whether I prefer long tanks, taller tanks, or cube tanks. The tank will be next to my bed most likely, so they all have different pros and cons for viewing/space/etc. 

 

Decisions, decisions! 

 

I think pricing things out is not a bad idea. Maybe that will help me decide. I probably should try to keep it more cost effective until student loans are paid off! There are so many nice tanks though! 

 

Although, if I was going to go the $$$$$$ route, I would want this https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/nuvo-concept-glass-abyss-panorama-20g-innovative-marine.html It looks like it is discontinued though, or several hundred more through other places. Or this, if I go up a few gallons https://www.innovative-marine.com/product-page/nuvo-ext-lagoon-25-gallon-aquarium-desktop

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

I see multiple tanks in your future. Search for the tanks you like in the journals forum you will get the pro and cons. Plus you will see what aqua-scape style you like. The 25 lagoon is very popular. I look up different fish on liveaquaria.com to get an idea of how reef safe and compatible they are. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
jservedio
7 hours ago, danistarr said:

Your tank looks really nice! How long have you had it running?

 

I don't really mind rims on aquariums, or having some equipment hanging off the tank (not a huge fan of a heater in the tank, just because they stick out a lot in my opinion, both visually and physically, or internal filters). Your tank set up to me still looks quite nice!

 

Would you mind elaborating on how the build quality of the IM is nicer than the JBJ? 

 

I think as much as I would really like a JBJ24 or IM, it might make more financial sense to just stick with the 20 gallon long I currently have, or getting a new 20 tall.

 

That is a good point about a sump technically just being a filter. 

 

I will say, I have had a very bad experience with a drilled 75 gallon that had a sump. I followed the fish store/online instructions for setting it up, and thought I did it correctly. Woke up to the sump flooding, as I had not put the return pipe out of the water correctly, or something like that? I am very hesitant to try one again after that experience. They seem very fiddle, and easy to cause a flood. Is this true, or can they be idiot proof? 

 

Also, how do you fit it underneath the tank? Do people have custom built stands, or do they just put it on the floor inside? Would a 5.5 gallon be a decent size, or would 10 gallons be better? 

 

 

 

 

My tank is 9 years old, but in reality has only been stable about 3 years from moving like a million times. I fit my sump by taking an angle grinder to the stand then reinforcing it with 1×2 pine. The better option is buying a proper stand.

 

The IM build quality is far better than the JBJ in terms of both material and construction. The IM is rimless with thicker low iron glass and the JBJ is standard rimmed construction, so the seam quality is worse since its covered. I'm also not a fan of the bent glass, but that's just preference.

 

I will say, unless you know 100% what you see doing, don't hack together a system and DIY a HOB overflow and sump onto a regular 20g tank. Without proper consideration, it's a disaster waiting to happen. If you are worried about an accident or flooding, get an AIO.

 

Look at both the JBJ and IM in person and you'll see the differences.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
danistarr
13 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I see multiple tanks in your future. Search for the tanks you like in the journals forum you will get the pro and cons. Plus you will see what aqua-scape style you like. The 25 lagoon is very popular. I look up different fish on liveaquaria.com to get an idea of how reef safe and compatible they are. 

Haha I do as well! In my first apartment, I started with a 29 gallon, which then multiplied into 2 additional 55 gallons, and finally was reduced into one 75 gallon and one 29 gallon (all freshwater).

 

Your suggestion for searching for tanks I like in the journal forum was a great idea! It really helped me get a better idea of the tank, stocking, and what equipment people use. 

 

I love looking up fish on liveaquaria! 

Share this post


Link to post
danistarr
17 hours ago, jservedio said:

My tank is 9 years old, but in reality has only been stable about 3 years from moving like a million times. I fit my sump by taking an angle grinder to the stand then reinforcing it with 1×2 pine. The better option is buying a proper stand.

 

The IM build quality is far better than the JBJ in terms of both material and construction. The IM is rimless with thicker low iron glass and the JBJ is standard rimmed construction, so the seam quality is worse since its covered. I'm also not a fan of the bent glass, but that's just preference.

 

I will say, unless you know 100% what you see doing, don't hack together a system and DIY a HOB overflow and sump onto a regular 20g tank. Without proper consideration, it's a disaster waiting to happen. If you are worried about an accident or flooding, get an AIO.

 

Look at both the JBJ and IM in person and you'll see the differences.

I certainly will not hack together a sump! I had someone tell me it is super easy and necessary for a reef tank on another forum awhile back, but I don't think it is worth the risk of flooding. 

 

I am going to try to find somewhere that carries the tanks locally to look at them in person. 

 

I think for the time being though, it makes the most sense to use the 20 gallon long I have. I was going to do the AC 110 w/ heater and refugium route, but since I am now interested in royal grammas, I am now worried about fish jumping out of gaps. I have read that they will jump out of the tiniest crevices, and that a weighted lid is a must with them, especially when they are settling in. I think I will go with a built in AIO that I either clamp or silicone in place, so that I can have a lid without any gaps. 

 

So for final stocking (fish/invert wise) I am thinking

-pair of ocellaris clownfish

-CB orchid dottyback, CB neon dottyback, or CB royal gramma (or 1-2 CB blue neon gobies)

-scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp

-feather duster worm

-red legged hermit crabs/various snails for CUC

 

Does that sound okay? If I go royal gramma or neon gobies, I'll add them first before the clowns. For the orchid and neon dottyback, I'm thinking after the clowns would be best?

 

After that tank is up and running, I'm considering a 12-24 gallon cube for a nano goby/blenny (CB blue neon goby, CB rainford, tail spot blenny, clown goby, ywg and pistol etc.), as it would fit perfectly next to my dresser 😉 I also like the cube tanks for some reason (I think it might be the rounded glass).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

Check out the new contest! It is for a all in one (AIO) 20 gallons MAX. To enter you would need to get one and take a picture with it empty except for a snack before the end of Feb. You would get plenty of help with any thing that you had a question on. Even though it is a competition most of the members care more about everyone having nice tanks and having fun then winning. The contest thread is

365 Day All-In-One Nano Reef Challenge. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
mcarroll
On 1/31/2020 at 9:50 AM, jservedio said:

20g just looks like a rimmed 20g with tons of crap hanging out of it unless you[...]

...run a Tunze nano skimmer or Reefpack (skimmer + box filter)

 

😉

 

@danistarr,

The Reefpack 100 box filter will hide your heater. 

 

The Reefpack 250 box filter hides your heater and ATO sensor....and is arguably the right model for a 20L. 

 

Both also come with a nice skimmer.

 

The 250 is $220.  Seems like a logical option to consider since the tank is already on hand as well.

 

Do the math for yourself, but these are usually a good bargain in terms of price vs a sump-based system as well as keeping things simple plumbing-wise. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
danistarr
15 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Check out the new contest! It is for a all in one (AIO) 20 gallons MAX. To enter you would need to get one and take a picture with it empty except for a snack before the end of Feb. You would get plenty of help with any thing that you had a question on. Even though it is a competition most of the members care more about everyone having nice tanks and having fun then winning. The contest thread is

365 Day All-In-One Nano Reef Challenge. 

Oh wow! I just checked that out, that seems like a lot of fun! I asked a couple questions on the thread, I might enter it!

 

Thank you for letting me know!

 

Although, you may have just gotten me in trouble! I made an agreement with the other half that the reef tank wouldn't be started for at least a few more months...

 

Now I want to buy an AIO conversion for it, and have been sourcing places for live rock. 😲

Share this post


Link to post
danistarr
4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

...run a Tunze nano skimmer or Reefpack (skimmer + box filter)

 

😉

 

@danistarr,

The Reefpack 100 box filter will hide your heater. 

 

The Reefpack 250 box filter hides your heater and ATO sensor....and is arguably the right model for a 20L. 

 

Both also come with a nice skimmer.

 

The 250 is $220.  Seems like a logical option to consider since the tank is already on hand as well.

 

Do the math for yourself, but these are usually a good bargain in terms of price vs a sump-based system as well as keeping things simple plumbing-wise. 

I appreciate the information! I have no idea what all is out there. 

 

I'll be honest, I am very confused how these work. Is it set up similar to a canister? The white tub is the main filter compartment, and everything else is placed in it?

 

I think I'll be entering the contest, so I won't be able to use one this year (and will be buying the Oceanbox Designs reef conversion kit), but it is definitely something that I want to look  into more for the future!

 

The cost seems like a good deal for what it is, or at least, my understanding of what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
danistarr

Can anyone tell me whether this is a special colored mushroom, or if it is just the lights? It is the bright blue striped one. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

Looks like what is known as a "Blue Stripe" mushroom to me, it can and will most likely look subtly different under different lights

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Mkus
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 1:52 AM, danistarr said:

Thank you so much for the photos and feedback! Your tank looks awesome!

 

Just to make sure I understand correctly, are you using the stock lights, or did you modify and add your own lights?

 

How easy is it for the hood to fall off? I am planning on the tank being against the wall. 

 

Another question I had, how much of the display is taken up by the compartment in the back? Is the compartment in the back hard to keep clean?

 

Did you get a custom in-tank media basket for the refugium, or did you simply just fill it and add a light? 

 

 

You just have to be careful not to let the hood fall when open I'm using truelumen Led strips its a kit you take the stock lights out and these have double sided tape and dimmers that come with the leds.

Mines right up against my wall the back compartments are about 2" deep 3 chambers my middle is my refugium with a Led grow light about $24.00 on ebay on the back glass its thin so no problem with it hitting the wall no in tank I just put a bit of live rock in the bottom and added some cheato on top

My heater goes in the last chamber with the pump..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
mcarroll

Their Reefpack is a protein skimmer and a box filter (aka power filter) packed together for convenience.  (They come packed in a nice bucket that can be used for your ATO reservoir.)

 

The 3162 Multifilter that comes with the Reefpack 250 is not totally unlike an Aquaclear powerfilter, only the Multifilter is  vertically oriented and designed (very cleverly) for internal usage.  It's an open-chamber filter that you can fill with nothing or with whatever media you want.  But it's got some nice tricks up its sleeve.

 

As you can see in Tunze's graphic, the pump is bottom-mounted and when it runs it creates negative pressure in the chamber which draws water in via the surface intake as well as the variable-depth bottom intake.  Your heater (max 75 watt I think?) slots into the back left corner inside the filter and the ATO sensor fits in the back right corner outside the filter, hidden from view and from most potential obstructions.

3162.000%2301.jpg

 

FYI, I'm running the Reefpack 500 on my 125 Gallon, basically making it a 125 gallon All In One.  👍

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
danistarr
On 2/4/2020 at 1:14 PM, mcarroll said:

Their Reefpack is a protein skimmer and a box filter (aka power filter) packed together for convenience.  (They come packed in a nice bucket that can be used for your ATO reservoir.)

 

The 3162 Multifilter that comes with the Reefpack 250 is not totally unlike an Aquaclear powerfilter, only the Multifilter is  vertically oriented and designed (very cleverly) for internal usage.  It's an open-chamber filter that you can fill with nothing or with whatever media you want.  But it's got some nice tricks up its sleeve.

 

As you can see in Tunze's graphic, the pump is bottom-mounted and when it runs it creates negative pressure in the chamber which draws water in via the surface intake as well as the variable-depth bottom intake.  Your heater (max 75 watt I think?) slots into the back left corner inside the filter and the ATO sensor fits in the back right corner outside the filter, hidden from view and from most potential obstructions.

3162.000%2301.jpg

 

FYI, I'm running the Reefpack 500 on my 125 Gallon, basically making it a 125 gallon All In One.  👍

This is very helpful! Thank you for breaking it down for me!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
danistarr

New question as I'm thinking about my stocking more, and in relationship to my theme for the AIO contest 🙂

 

Would a pair of ocellaris clowns, an ORA orchid dottyback (or CB royal gramma, if I can find one), and a CB blue neon goby be a good stocking for a 20L? 

Share this post


Link to post
danistarr

@debbeach13 A thought just occurred to me. With the idea of getting the reef converter instead of doing a large HOB filter, it would make more sense to just get the Nuvo Fusion IM 20 Gallon Peninsula kit for $299 instead of ordering the $200 Oceanbox designs reef converter with lid and pump.

 

 The 20 gallon I have is used and needs to be cleaned as it has a bunch of dried algae and things in it, and then I would still have to make a lid for it. I also would have to get silicone to install the converter. I also do not know what chemicals the previous person used in it. 

 

I thought doing the the AIO reef converter kit was going to save me money versus a $299 tank kit, but when I priced it out like you suggested, I got

-the converter with lid and pump is $200

-the DIY screen lid kit is $40 or a new glass lid is $30

-aquarium sealant would be $12, and another $11 for a caulking gun. (I would also probably want a tool for fixing up my mistakes, which I imagine will be $5 at least)

So at $268 minimum vs $299 for brand new tank kit with the leveling mat and algae scraper included as well, and no DIY projects that I will suck at (I tried caulking a bathtub before, it was a nightmare)

 

I am excited for a brand new tank!

 

Is it horrible to order an aquarium in the mail (it is 50lbs), or should I try to locate one in person?

Share this post


Link to post
mcarroll

I didn't know you were thinking about that reef converter thing.....similar idea to the Reefpack (re-use a plain tank) but not quite as good IMO since it doesn't come with everything you need and since it requires a permanent tank mod.

 

Which new tank are you looking at now?

 

Yes I would try to get your tank locally if possible.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...