Innovative Marine Aquariums

Justifying a High End LED fixture

Steemax

Before anyone reads on, this is not a knock against the high end lights. Just trying to educate myself so pardon my ignorance. 

I'm trying to figure out if there is any justification in paying 6 to 10 times more than some of the budget fixtures for one of the high end lights. I've always used lower end lights on my tanks with the exception of a 75 mixed reef many many years ago when LED's weren't even around so i'm not sure what i'm missing out on. 

I've been eyeing the Kessil A360X for some time now for two reasons, to run on my Nano 20g High and it would be a good candidate to carry over to a larger reef tank by buying a second one once I move out of my apartment into a house. Seems like a good versatile light that would always have a use case. 

Other than that, what am I gaining for $460 over my $62 Hipagero light that is growing my corals just fine right now? My Zoa's are already spreading one month in and I see 3 baby heads coming out of my new hammer coral. Duncan has 2 new heads etc... I figure the tech plays a role but that's another $100 you gotta spend to even get the controller or wifi module so it's not even wifi ready out of the box for $460. 

Thanks!

I am a believer of don't fix whats not broken.

The kessil is a good light, so are other name brands but that doesn't mean you can't get great results with the right budget light. Some budget lights just aren't designed for our needs and others are.

There are plenty of hobbyists that use black box lights and have beautiful tanks. 

There is a lot involved in the health of our corals, lighting is important but without the other aspects, the best light on the market won't get you better results if the others factors aren't there. 

More light isn't always better, corals use up a certain amount and the rest is waste.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

don't fix whats not broken

Mostly this. If it's working, don't change it. 

This is coming from someone who's currently running 4x Radion G4 Pros. If you like what you have, then there's no need to change. 

• Like 3

You are paying significantly more for looks, features, support, and most importantly quality. Sure, a black box LED works perfectly fine and will grow coral great, but it's not fully programmable, it isn't controlled by a really nice web interface, I can't call someone up to get help with it, it looks like an ugly black box, and it isn't going to last 10 years. If it something breaks, you can't have it serviced.

Also - not all LEDs chips are made equally, lenses aren't made equally, and materials aren't made equally. You get what you pay for - a 2004 Dodge Neon will get you to work (on most days), but it's not nearly as nice as driving a brand new Audi S4. They are roughly the same size, have 4 doors, and they both come in black, but the Audi costs about 20x more. What's the point of buying one?

• Like 1

Thanks for the input all, @jservedio your comparison makes sense.

I figure the funds are available now and this seems like a light that I can take with me onto my future build as it scales up easily. My only worry like mentioned before is messing with success since my corals are responding very well to my current light. 

if you buy a cheap light that works for you, that is great. some of us have bought a cheap light or two along the way and decided against wasting any more money off brand no reputation companies. 2-3 off brand lights can cost 100-200 dollars. 1 reputable light can cost around 200-250. if you bought the reputable light after the 2-3 off brand lights you actually spent 350-450. in the end it is your money.

• Like 1

@Steemax

Im in the same boat as you in terms of justifying the price for two Kessil a360x lights. With the hardware and the wifi dongle its going to run a pretty penny.  

Like others have said, you don’t need the high end lights to be successful. Especially if you will be lighting a softy/lps tank. But  believe you get what you pay for. 

I would recommend seeing the lights in person if you can. Especially for the price. You might decide you don’t like the “kessil shimmer.” For some, its too much. To me it’s beautiful. Such a difference over the T5s I am running now. And one of the reasons I want to switch. 

If you aren’t happy with your lights, upgrade. The hobby can be freakishly expensive. But I rather be happy looking at my tank, even if it temporarily sets me back. Money comes and goes. BUT do your research before you drop a lot of cash. And keep your equipment if you get out of the hobby. Thats one lesson I learned... twice XD 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 4:44 PM, Steemax said:

Before anyone reads on, this is not a knock against the high end lights. Just trying to educate myself so pardon my ignorance. 

I'm trying to figure out if there is any justification in paying 6 to 10 times more than some of the budget fixtures for one of the high end lights. I've always used lower end lights on my tanks with the exception of a 75 mixed reef many many years ago when LED's weren't even around so i'm not sure what i'm missing out on. 

I've been eyeing the Kessil A360X for some time now for two reasons, to run on my Nano 20g High and it would be a good candidate to carry over to a larger reef tank by buying a second one once I move out of my apartment into a house. Seems like a good versatile light that would always have a use case. 

Other than that, what am I gaining for $460 over my $62 Hipagero light that is growing my corals just fine right now? My Zoa's are already spreading one month in and I see 3 baby heads coming out of my new hammer coral. Duncan has 2 new heads etc... I figure the tech plays a role but that's another $100 you gotta spend to even get the controller or wifi module so it's not even wifi ready out of the box for $460. 

Thanks!

A)  Don't break what doesn't need fixing.

B)  Buy gear for your current tank, not future tanks that may never happen.

B)  A spotlight is not a great fit for your current tank, so IMO not at all worth the $ (and I run 360X's at home, so I'm a fan)

C)  If you switch lights, realize it's FOR YOU and not for your tank or for your corals.  Upgrading is fine IMO as long as you know that.

D)  At 3X the power of your current light, the 360X would also be INSANE overkill.  Look at a pair of A160's instead.

Not saying you have to be sensible, but a more sensible lighting switch for a rectangular tank like a 20H would be (e.g.) to a dual strip Current USA strip setup like they have on sale for $150-$200 right now:

Orbit Marine IC Bundles

BTW, what you're getting with the cost on a Kessil is (among other things) sunrise/sunset and other dimming effects (ie clouds), a well-designed blend of light, three times the power of your current light....and support of a domestic lighting company is worth something.