inTank Media Baskets

How to do I figure out my dissolved organic compound (DOC) load?

chaostactics

TL:DR My skimmer is doing nothing*; is my tank "too clean"? I have a system with approximately 90 gallons total volume. Current bioload is a royal gramma, 2 clown, and a shark nose goby (plus a bunch of zoa). I feed the fish once a day, feed 1/8 reef roids a few days a week, and a couple of tiny silversides to my anemones a couple of times a week. 

I have dual filter socks that I change every 3 days or so, a SKIMZ MBR-157 algae reactor, a carbon reactor running 9 Tbsp ROX, and an older Bubble Magnus 5.5 skimmer and the tank gets a 10% water change every 3 weeks. The skimmer seems halfway decent, however, when I have it tuned as far as it will go without flooding the skimmer cup it *barely pulls any skimmate. 

So how do I figure out if there's just not enough DOC for the skimmer to create surface tension to create adequate foam or is it that the skimmer just sucks? [The skimmer has been cleaned and has been given time to break in, the skimmer chamber is at a constant and manufacturer recommended depth, and the water level inside the skimmer cannot be raised any higher without flooding the skimmer.

If set up correctly, the Bubble Magnus would be producing whatever skimmate it can get from the water column.  Considering the light stocking (for a 90g) and the multiple nutrient sequestering and export methods that you have in place, I'm not surprised that there isn't much skimmate.  In addition, if you have a deeper sand bed it will also utilize/sequester TOC/DOC and thereby compete with a skimmer for nutrients.

You can use the 'Triton N-Doc' testing to confirm (there are a number of companies that you can buy this service from).

• Like 1