Pod Your Reef

Can't identify

mark.payton

Hello,

I'm new to saltwater and live in an area with limited help from my local fish store.  Can anyone help me identify what I have shown in the attached pictures?

Thank you!

IMG-1672.jpg

IMG-1670.jpg

IMG-1671.jpg

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, mark.payton said:

Hello,

I'm new to saltwater and live in an area with limited help from my local fish store.  Can anyone help me identify what I have shown in the attached pictures?

Thank you!

IMG-1672.jpg

IMG-1670.jpg

IMG-1671.jpg

:welcome:

First pic looks like majano anemone...... most consider it a pest. Would need a better pic to tell for sure. 

second is some type of paly or zoa

third looks like Anthelia maybe.....again, a better pic would help. 

Thank you for the reply.  Since it only appears that I have a couple  of the majano anemone on one small piece of rock can I just pull that out and be done with it?

Thanks again,

mark

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
19 minutes ago, mark.payton said:

Thank you for the reply.  Since it only appears that I have a couple  of the majano anemone on one small piece of rock can I just pull that out and be done with it?

Thanks again,

mark

Yes, and that's what I would do before they multiply (and they do this fairly quickly). Also, I'd keep an eye on your tank for them for the next month or so. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, mark.payton said:

Thanks again,

mark

yep, just pull it out and watch for others...........its a shame because i think they are pretty.

NoOneLikesADryTang
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

yep, just pull it out and watch for others...........its a shame because i think they are pretty.

They are really pretty. When we were getting ready to set up our rock flower tank, a LFS about 100 miles away had this beautiful rock flower on a rock full of majano. The tank keeper was going to set up a separate tank just to keep them on that rock, and chisel off the rock flower. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, since she keeps telling me we don't need any more tanks) for us, they sold it before our RFA tank was ready to go. 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
8 minutes ago, mark.payton said:

Can the unwanted items be removed from the rock and then put the rock back in?  There is more on the same rock that has the paly or zoa on it.

Yes - if you can get them off. You might be better off chiseling the items you want off the rock, and gluing them to another rock. 

• Like 1