SaltCritters.com

Alrighty so, getting started.

ThatNewKidMatt

ThatNewKidMatt

Alrighty, so hello there! I'm working on getting my first nano started and I was wondering if anyone here has any advice about things I should look out for or try to avoid. I want to get started right, so I'm asking for a bit of help here, thanks for any help given!

Welcome to NR!  The most important thing is learning as much as you can about the hobby (and never stop learning) before you start buying things and wondering why stuff is dying + wasting a lot of money along the way.

Lucky for you, there are many good Articles, Guides, and Info on NR to give you that starter guide into the hobby.

Just to name a few that you should be familiar with:

Once you learn and understand the basics, start asking questions on the forums and do lots of research on the things that you like before you buy them.

• Like 2

Welcome to nano.

The best advice is do a ton of research.

Go through sticky threads, members journals, TOTM's(tank of the month)

There is a lot of good info there.

Always do actual research- YouTube and Forums are great and a world of info there but gaining knowledge outside of these is important.

Go slow.

Some advice that can help out.

-Choose a salt that has parameters you want to run the system at, this will go a long way.

-Use a refractometer for Sg readings

-Don't chase numbers, aim for stability

-Over use of filtration/media can be just as bad as ignoring the tank all together

- you can have too much light and flow as much as you can have too little.

- you will see a lot of contradictions in this hobby

Always do your research 

- never panic, it can lead to us making decisions that don't have positive results

- algae and critters are normal. It's all an ecosystem that rely on each other to run smoothly.

- sterile & clean doesn't mean healthy

• Like 1

Books, books, books.  There's no better place to hid good info than the INSIDE OF A BOOK.

Read old books.  Read new books.  They're all good.

Solid info on the basics seems to be a lot harder to come by "online" than gee-whiz info on the latest gadgets and techniques.

If you need some tips on which books to start with, please check out my thread:

Chime in with your reef-oriented reading list!

• Like 1